webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS goes Open source
WebOS goes Open source
  Reply
Like Tree46Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12/11/2011, 06:12 AM   #141 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
So in your eyes Apple is the top of the market and everything else is "bottom of the barrel"? LOL. There are more Android devices sold than Apple devices and personally I haven't liked ANYTHING Apple has made since the Apple IIc. Their devices are no better than some of the top competitor devices. Then you also have to consider that Apple's motto seems to be: "This isn't Burger King, you get it OUR way or you don't get the S.O.B at all." I just cannot support a company like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
That must have been well over a year ago. As of April 2011 Apple only had more total devices sold IF you counted the iPOD MP3 Player. As THIS article points out, it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare market share including MP3 players for one group when the other group doesn't really compete in that market. That would be like comparing computer hardware sold between Apple and HP but allowing HP to also count servers. Removing iPODs from the equation, counting phones and tablets Android had a slight edge in April and was gaining market share FASTER than Apple. ...snip
Yada Yada Yada. At the end of the day, it's not how many you sold, it's how much you make:
11-4-2011 - Apple Takes Half

With all those Android phones sold, how is it Apple dominates the profits.

Last edited by sinsin07; 12/11/2011 at 06:22 AM.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 08:37 AM   #142 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
She needed a netbook. Tablets are great and all but even with a windows tablet I wouldn't want to do "work" on one. To really be productive and work with a lot of documents you will probably need a really good physical keyboard which defeats the purpose of having a tablet.
I think you are looking backwards. Netbooks are done. Tablets are more portable, easier to use on an airplane, and have better battery lives, and are easier to use. Since I got my tablets, I have not touched my netbook. And I can easily get a reasonable keyboard to use with my tablet.

what is missing is reasonable software. Apple's pages, numbers and keynote apps beat everything available on every tablet platform. I hope that someone writes a killer word processing app that can do a good job with docx files. And I mean better than pages. This is where windows 8 may be able to win.

What tablets need to be more than glorified game machines is real effective productivity software, then we have moved beyond the consumption model.
laserboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:26 AM   #143 (permalink)
Member
 
twack's Avatar
 
Posts: 634
__________________
TWack
On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.



|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 10:30 AM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 23
I wonder what Rod Whitby's take on this is. I would imagine WebOS Internals would serve well as a central repository/marketplace/meeting place going forward, but it seems Rod might still be in the midst of his WebOS/Android comparison...
pctung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 01:44 PM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
With all those Android phones sold, how is it Apple dominates the profits.
That's extremely simple to answer. Just like their computers, Apple profit per device far exceeds any other phone or tablet. They charge more because they know the sheep will pay the "premium" with an Apple logo on it. That's how Apple can sell a non-4G phone with a small screen phone for the premium price. Why add cost to the device when they know that people will line around the block for it. Plus, Apple is only one company and Android is divided between multiple companies.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 02:32 PM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Yada Yada Yada. At the end of the day, it's not how many you sold, it's how much you make:
11-4-2011 - Apple Takes Half

With all those Android phones sold, how is it Apple dominates the profits.
My only point was that Android is not "bottom of the barrel". To answer your question though, Apple seems to have a "zombie like" fan base. Apple could pack fecal matter in a can, slap the Apple logo on it, call it the iPoop and their loyal fans would pay $200 a can for it.
__________________
Patches from Maverickz:
Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 06:59 PM   #147 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
That's extremely simple to answer. Just like their computers, Apple profit per device far exceeds any other phone or tablet. They charge more because they know the sheep will pay the "premium" with an Apple logo on it. That's how Apple can sell a non-4G phone with a small screen phone for the premium price. Why add cost to the device when they know that people will line around the block for it. Plus, Apple is only one company and Android is divided between multiple companies.
Doesnít Apple sell their iPhones starting at $199 for the iPhone 4S, $99 for the iPhone 4, and free for the iPhone 3GS on contract?

How are they charging the consumer any more than just about any other smartphone out there?
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 07:09 PM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
My only point was that Android is not "bottom of the barrel". To answer your question though, Apple seems to have a "zombie like" fan base. Apple could pack fecal matter in a can, slap the Apple logo on it, call it the iPoop and their loyal fans would pay $200 a can for it.
Really? Because I remember Apple discontinuing the iPod Hi-Fi speaker system because of slow sales. They stopped selling the over priced, bland, leather iPhone case because of slow sales. The Apple TV is assumed to not be flying off the shelves. Apple discontinued the Xserve server line because of slow sales and there is talk that they are thinking about getting rid of the Mac Pro.

As you see, people donít buy everything with an Apple logo on it. Just a sad stereotype that people keep saying.

Here is a link from PCWorld. Take a look at it and see which company stands out.

Desktop PC Reliability and Satisfaction: Dell and HP Home PCs Get Poor Grades | PCWorld

Are they zombies or are they just buying products from the more reliable company?
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Thanked By: sinsin07
Old 12/11/2011, 07:12 PM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
With WebOS going open source, does that mean that in addition to smart phones and tablets that a PC manufacturer may use it as a new OS for a PC or netbook?
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 08:36 PM   #150 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
That's extremely simple to answer. Just like their computers, Apple profit per device far exceeds any other phone or tablet. They charge more because they know the sheep will pay the "premium" with an Apple logo on it. That's how Apple can sell a non-4G phone with a small screen phone for the premium price. Why add cost to the device when they know that people will line around the block for it. Plus, Apple is only one company and Android is divided between multiple companies.
Webos could used a couple of million sheep. As it stands now you just have hobbyist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
My only point was that Android is not "bottom of the barrel". To answer your question though, Apple seems to have a "zombie like" fan base. Apple could pack fecal matter in a can, slap the Apple logo on it, call it the iPoop and their loyal fans would pay $200 a can for it.
If HP could of sold canned fecal matter in the numbers that Apple did they would of. Right know they just got the fecal.
What do you call a webos person who hangs around since 2009, sees their favorite OS get sold, sees the buyer fumble the product, sticks around waiting, hoping and dreaming for an optimized OS, traction in the market place, new hardware, an ecosystem worth mentioning, and hardware manufacturer to make new hardware? That's also (besides Apple) in line with zombie/sheep. Both of those descriptions get led.

See nusome4 post for enlightenment.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 08:57 PM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
Really? Because I remember Apple discontinuing the iPod Hi-Fi speaker system because of slow sales. They stopped selling the over priced, bland, leather iPhone case because of slow sales. The Apple TV is assumed to not be flying off the shelves. Apple discontinued the Xserve server line because of slow sales and there is talk that they are thinking about getting rid of the Mac Pro.

As you see, people don’t buy everything with an Apple logo on it. Just a sad stereotype that people keep saying.

Here is a link from PCWorld. Take a look at it and see which company stands out.

Desktop PC Reliability and Satisfaction: Dell and HP Home PCs Get Poor Grades | PCWorld

Are they zombies or are they just buying products from the more reliable company?
I will give Apple credit for reliability but it's easy to do vanilla over and over and over perfectly. There is no choice with Apple you only choose if you want a mac, iphone, or ipad. No choices or customizations.

I personally use computers from the worlds most reliable OEM with the best customer support...Me. I build my own computers, to whatever specs I need, load whatever OS I want, and have never once had a defect or quality issue. Try that with a Mac.

Let me be clear though, I am not saying Apple sucks, I am just pointing out that everything not made by Apple is NOT bottom of the barrel. Apple is not the be all, end all of the tech world.
__________________
Patches from Maverickz:
Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:32 PM   #152 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Webos could used a couple of million sheep. As it stands now you just have hobbyist.



If HP could of sold canned fecal matter in the numbers that Apple did they would of. Right know they just got the fecal.
What do you call a webos person who hangs around since 2009, sees their favorite OS get sold, sees the buyer fumble the product, sticks around waiting, hoping and dreaming for an optimized OS, traction in the market place, new hardware, an ecosystem worth mentioning, and hardware manufacturer to make new hardware? That's also (besides Apple) in line with zombie/sheep. Both of those descriptions get led.

See nusome4 post for enlightenment.
You are talking about two different things.

Apple produces great hardware and operating systems that are adequate, but don't get in the way of the hardware. Mac OS-X and iOS are nothing to write home about, but they complement there hardware well.

WebOS is a great operating system, even on mediocre hardware. Once you use it, it is hard to switch to another OS and be happy, regardless of the hardware. I happen to think the iPad is beautiful, but i can't stand the way iOS works. I have evaluated several phones that are built better than the Pre, but don't offer the same user experience. I end up walking away from some pretty impressive devices because they don't offer what webOS offers. I finally bought a EVO 3D on the hopes of installing webOS on it.

If Android or iOS worked even half as well as webOS we would be fools to stay with it. The problem is that they don't. It is not that the users of weboS are zealots, it's just that webOS is a great operating system worthy of the loyalty it receives.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:31 AM   #153 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
Doesn’t Apple sell their iPhones starting at $199 for the iPhone 4S, $99 for the iPhone 4, and free for the iPhone 3GS on contract?

How are they charging the consumer any more than just about any other smartphone out there?
$199? Give me a link to a $199 Iphone that I can use on T-mobile and I'll buy it tonight. Oh that's right, it's not actually $199 but it's $600 for a 16GB Iphone 4(not even a 4S).

Unlocked iPhone 4, 16GB - Black - Apple Store (U.S.)

Also, it's cheaper to make the Iphone because of the small screen and lower cost components. It's a lot more expensive to build a Samsung Galaxy S 2 than an Iphone.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:43 AM   #154 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
I cannot WAIT until WebOS gets ported to other devices. I really enjoyed my 24 hours with the Pre3, and if it weren't for ATT recognizing it as a smartphone, I would be using that device.

I'm hoping that my new Nokia N9 takes the same path as the N900. With WebOS being open source, it'd be a very nice dual boot system with Meego and WebOS. Verrryyyy nice.
ClubDownforce#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 01:26 AM   #155 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubDownforce View Post
I cannot WAIT until WebOS gets ported to other devices. I really enjoyed my 24 hours with the Pre3, and if it weren't for ATT recognizing it as a smartphone, I would be using that device.
Should just switch to T-mobile if you want to use the Pre3 without a data plan. They don't require data plans on smartphones, unless you bought it from them at a subsidized price. Plus, the rate/data plans are much cheaper.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 07:04 PM   #156 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
I will give Apple credit for reliability but it's easy to do vanilla over and over and over perfectly. There is no choice with Apple you only choose if you want a mac, iphone, or ipad. No choices or customizations.

I personally use computers from the worlds most reliable OEM with the best customer support...Me. I build my own computers, to whatever specs I need, load whatever OS I want, and have never once had a defect or quality issue. Try that with a Mac.

Let me be clear though, I am not saying Apple sucks, I am just pointing out that everything not made by Apple is NOT bottom of the barrel. Apple is not the be all, end all of the tech world.
There are numerous examples of how Apple designs their stuff that is well above the vanilla of the PC industry.

Perfect example is the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

AnandTech - The Apple Thunderbolt Display Review

Read thru the review and and see all that it does. That display is almost an actual computer. You telling me that is a vanilla display?

Or the engineering and manufacturing equipment required for Apple to design their products.

Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers - Businessweek

Read that and tell me whatís vanilla about Apple.

Remove the name from a Dell or HP anything and ask the average person to identify who makes it. Thatís vanilla.

Any Chinese fly by night operation can install any microprocessor by Intel, any graphics card from any vendor that you would want in some cheap, crappy, plastic (VANILLA) box and sell it to the cheap consumer. But ask that same company to make a better-designed iMac than Apple and thatís where they would fail miserably. The vanilla PC industry can not beat Apple in making a better designed iMac.
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07, independent1, chalx and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: sinsin07
Old 12/12/2011, 07:30 PM   #157 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
$199? Give me a link to a $199 Iphone that I can use on T-mobile and I'll buy it tonight. Oh that's right, it's not actually $199 but it's $600 for a 16GB Iphone 4(not even a 4S).

Unlocked iPhone 4, 16GB - Black - Apple Store (U.S.)

Also, it's cheaper to make the Iphone because of the small screen and lower cost components. It's a lot more expensive to build a Samsung Galaxy S 2 than an Iphone.
Can you buy any other phone to use on T-Mobile that is not being offered by T-Mobile for the same subsidized price as offered on another carrier? I donít think so. I donít see the point youíre trying to make.

What proof do you have that the components in the iPhone are cheaper than whatís in the Galaxy S 2? Just because the screen on the Galaxy S 2 is larger does not make it better quality or more expensive. The screen on the iPhone 4 can cost more because it has to show more DPI than the Galaxy S 2.
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 07:33 PM   #158 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1



Click the picture for more options or check out my albums. I am a fan of webOS and make custom t-shirts. Lets just say many of the recent events are related to my employment. Wink Wink.

Last edited by cheizzy; 12/12/2011 at 08:07 PM.
cheizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by etphoto, Rnp, JED-WEB-OS and 1 others like this.
Thanked by etphoto, jc-Treo
Old 12/12/2011, 07:35 PM   #159 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubDownforce View Post
I cannot WAIT until WebOS gets ported to other devices. I really enjoyed my 24 hours with the Pre3, and if it weren't for ATT recognizing it as a smartphone, I would be using that device.

I'm hoping that my new Nokia N9 takes the same path as the N900. With WebOS being open source, it'd be a very nice dual boot system with Meego and WebOS. Verrryyyy nice.
Will people really be able to install WebOS on any smartphone, or will there be just certain phones that it will work on? Still learning about this open source thing.
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 10:48 PM   #160 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 22
with webOS open source, did HP shut down the palm profile? I haven't been able to log I to mine at all, just get apache errors. Did they kill it or does my account just have an issue? If just me who do I even call now.
g8slord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0