Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 196
Like Tree46Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I don't think anyone expects even one manufacturer to drop Android like a hot potato to go with webOS, but I could see a few manufacturers put out at least one webOS device to test the waters.
    not a chance. No one is going to put risk on a os that is so far behind android and ios
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    not a chance. No one is going to put risk on a os that is so far behind android and ios
    You seem to forget that there were several hardware makers interested in picking up webOS from HP but they couldn't agree on a price. Now you don't think they would be interested in FREE?
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

    sledge007 and lar3ry like this.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    not a chance. No one is going to put risk on a os that is so far behind android and ios
    Remember when HTC make G1 loaded with Android. At that time HTC is the biggest windows phone manufacturer. And yet they made HTC G1 with Android OS which OS still inferior compared to windows phone. But time will tell. After HTC made several Android devices after G1. Ie: HTC Aria, HTC Droid, HTC Hero. People start to interest in Android. I think this will happen to WebOS too. WebOS has its own power and solid homebrew. With this.. Manufacturer no need to worry they can't sell their WebOS phone. More over Android phone already too crowd. As manufacturer, will you still stubborn to fight with your competitors using same OS instead of make another phone using more promising OS?
    Last edited by The Bard; 12/10/2011 at 01:37 AM.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Remember when HTC make G1 loaded with Android. At that time HTC is the biggest windows phone manufacturer. And yet they made HTC G1 with Android OS which OS still inferior compared to windows phone. But time will tell. After HTC made several Android devices after G1. Ie: HTC Aria, HTC Droid, HTC Hero. People start to interest in Android. I think this will happen to WebOS too. WebOS has its own power and solid homebrew. With this.. Manufacturer no need to worry they can't sell their WebOS phone. More over Android phone already too crowd. As manufacturer, will you still stubborn to fight with your competitors using same OS instead of make another phone using more promising OS?
    I would also like to remind you that Android was brand new and unproved. Webos is not brand new and has failed twice already. Which "proves" that webos is a likely third time failure waiting to happen. That might scare away manufacturers or the manufacturers will not devote the time and resources to really make webos work.

    The smartphone market is crowded, and all of the advantageous things about webos have found their way onto other platforms. WP7, android ICS and iOS 5 are doing multitasking and some sort of card view. Now we have to see how flexible webos is when it comes time for different screen sizes and resolutions.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keanu_ View Post
    webO.S. is in 3rd place.

    I think the bottom line really is: As of December 09, 2011. HP's webO.S. is the best alternative to iOS and Android. It exists as an alternative.

    And unless we get some kind of technological break-through, how can it ever hope to survive?

    This is it's one and only chance.
    Maybe more like 7th or 8th - with only 750,000 installed devices being used, it's a long way behind WP7, RIM, Symbian, Badu. If it's going to get higher than any of those, it needs a couple of OEM\ODMs to make announcements...

    I wonder if Corby and the like will rush in?
    Last edited by CGK; 12/10/2011 at 03:29 AM.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I would also like to remind you that Android was brand new and unproved. Webos is not brand new and has failed twice already. Which "proves" that webos is a likely third time failure waiting to happen. That might scare away manufacturers or the manufacturers will not devote the time and resources to really make webos work.

    The smartphone market is crowded, and all of the advantageous things about webos have found their way onto other platforms. WP7, android ICS and iOS 5 are doing multitasking and some sort of card view. Now we have to see how flexible webos is when it comes time for different screen sizes and resolutions.
    None of that changes the fact that in the last 90 days there were several ODM's interested in webOS (including HTC and Amazon) but they didn't like HP's asking price. Now they get it for FREE. Why wouldn't they use something for free that they were willing to pay at least something for in the last 90 days.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    None of that changes the fact that in the last 90 days there were several ODM's interested in webOS (including HTC and Amazon) but they didn't like HP's asking price. Now they get it for FREE. Why wouldn't they use something for free that they were willing to pay at least something for in the 90 days.
    Is there any real evidence that any of those companies were interested at all?
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is there any real evidence that any of those companies were interested at all?
    Here are a few articles.

    HTC Article 1: Recent comments from the Taiwan-based company's chairwoman, Cher Wang, have been interpreted as signaling that HTC is carefully considering webOS or another platform that could help it differentiate its devices.

    HTC Article 2: Specifically, Wang admitted that HTC has eyed buying webOS from Hewlett-Packard,

    Amazon Article: A well-placed source tells us that HP is currently looking to rid itself of Palm as soon as possible, and that Amazon is the closest to finalizing the deal, among a handful of contenders.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I would also like to remind you that Android was brand new and unproved. Webos is not brand new and has failed twice already. Which "proves" that webos is a likely third time failure waiting to happen. That might scare away manufacturers or the manufacturers will not devote the time and resources to really make webos.
    WebOS failed twice, that's right, but as closed platform, in mismanaged surrounding. Now, when it's free, every company from Meizu to Motorola will side load it in their labs just to try it. With improved web kit and full hardware supported GUI acceleration I could see some webOS devices released in future.
  10. #110  
    What does this move to make WebOS open source mean for :
    -The Palm Profile
    -The App Catalog

    Who will be hosting these services?

    Cheers
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    WebOS failed twice, that's right, but as closed platform, in mismanaged surrounding. Now, when it's free, every company from Meizu to Motorola will side load it in their labs just to try it. With improved web kit and full hardware supported GUI acceleration I could see some webOS devices released in future.
    While i hope that's what happens......

    Android has Google backing it, WiMP has Microsoft backing it. No one is backing up (promoting, developing, evangelizing, selling) WebOS. Why would OEMs choose WebOS given the level of risk ?

    Cheers
  12. cvendra's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    #112  
    I guess its not time to think what will happen to WebOS but to think what can we contribute for it to be what we want it to be.
  13. #113  
    Personally, i want WebOS in Amazon's hands. They have the clout, ecosystem, cloud services and a capable hardware and integration team.

    Right now the only reasons i am not considering the Fire are:
    1. i have an iPad.
    2. the Fire runs Android.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_a View Post
    While i hope that's what happens......

    Android has Google backing it, WiMP has Microsoft backing it. No one is backing up (promoting, developing, evangelizing, selling) WebOS. Why would OEMs choose WebOS given the level of risk ?

    Cheers
    In new picture, there is only Android as webOS counterpart. WP7 with its strict set of rules is not in the same picture. Biggest problem with WP7 is its same design and feature set on different devices - if WP7 don't works for you on HTC it wouldn't work for you on Samsung, LG or Nokia. With Google tightening space for differentiation of Android devices, maybe manufacturers would consider webOS as alternative for lower end devices.
    Also, now manufacturers are launching at least 5 devices per year, not knowing which one will fail and which one will be hit, so there is risk already involved with Android lineup - because, not every single Android device is best seller.
  15. #115  
    In new picture, there is only Android as webOS counterpart. WP7 with its strict set of rules is not in the same picture. Biggest problem with WP7 is its same design and feature set on different devices - if WP7 don't works for you on HTC it wouldn't work for you on Samsung, LG or Nokia. With Google tightening space for differentiation of Android devices, maybe manufacturers would consider webOS as alternative for lower end devices.
    Also, now manufacturers are launching at least 5 devices per year, not knowing which one will fail and which one will be hit, so there is risk already involved with Android lineup - because, not every single Android device is best seller.
    Right now the only Android tablet device even close to being a best seller is the Kindle fire. Android is just not penetrating the tablet maker do to the lack of tablet apps and polish. People start to notice things they wouldn't otherwise notice when the screen is bigger.

    At least webOS has a bigger head start on Android in this market. WebOS 3.x and Enyo were designed for tablets from the start. If we could just get an Enyo based NetFlix app, we would be one step closer to perfection for most tablet users.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #116  
    At least webOS has a bigger head start on Android in this market. WebOS 3.x and Enyo were designed for tablets from the start.
    I guess timescale is the issue here - if it takes them 12 months to make this open source (due to rewrites of code to remove priority stuff) we would be onto em.. Jelly? (Android 5.0) and also the Amazon Fire would be more deeply embedded.

    This announcement will live or die (beyond a hobbyist thing) depending on speed (plus leadership plus OEM interest). Even if do it in 6 months, aren't we realistically saying that a quality (rather than cheap piece of junk) tablet would be early 2013?
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    don't see any manufacturer spending time or money making hardware for a os with no apps.
    I am sure you thought the same about Android before now.....remember the G1 and how awesome the app community was vs Apple, Palm and Window phones.

    webOS is no longer a stranger to the market b/c of all the news surrounding HP, Leo, the Tpad, etc. I think it will take off sooner than later.
  18. #118  
    I guess timescale is the issue here - if it takes them 12 months to make this open source (due to rewrites of code to remove priority stuff) we would be onto em.. Jelly? (Android 5.0) and also the Amazon Fire would be more deeply embedded.

    This announcement will live or die (beyond a hobbyist thing) depending on speed (plus leadership plus OEM interest). Even if do it in 6 months, aren't we realistically saying that a quality (rather than cheap piece of junk) tablet would be early 2013?

    I agree that HP needs to get this going quickly or Android will close the gap for tablets.

    Android needs tablet apps fast. I was just booted in to CM7 a few minutes ago trying to use the CBS Sports app. I got frustrated and booted back into webOS. The same app in webOS is light years ahead better because it is geared more towards a tablet.

    I don't know if the Fire will help or hurt tablet Android. It is based on the phone version of the OS and is used like a big phone (in portrait mode). There is no real reason to write landscape specific tablet apps for the Fire. Android's most popular tablet could be the downfall for Android tablet apps delaying them long enough to give open source webOS time to solidify its position in the Tablet market.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  19. #119  
    im just shocked there aren't more responses to this thread. maybe the webos buzz really died off and people moved on? either way going open source was a fantastic idea.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    im just shocked there aren't more responses to this thread. maybe the webos buzz really died off and people moved on? either way going open source was a fantastic idea.
    There's 7 pages of responses already... what were you expecting?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

Posting Permissions