webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS goes Open source
WebOS goes Open source
Like Tree46Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 04:04 PM   #81 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:10 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
A little premature to make a claim like that.

HP didn't put the support into webOS that google puts into android when they owned it outright. What makes a person think they will start doing that now that they have given it away to everyone?

Sorry, but in the months that webOS has been stagnated, the requirements for a complete system have gone up significantly. At first all you needed was decent hardware and a nice OS. Then you needed decent hardware, a nice OS and good app support. Now you need excellent hardware, the OS, apps, movies and music. HP didn’t commit to those when it was full in, why would they commit to them now?

-Suntan
I think you're misinterpreting what he means by support. Apple, while it actively develops OS X, is outright hostile to any tinkering or alternate use of OS X. HP on the other hand, may not be as active with its own development of webOS, but has always been supportive of homebrew and other outside development efforts. Now that will be even more the case.

Last edited by sq5; 12/09/2011 at 04:20 PM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:38 PM   #83 (permalink)

My mind is reeling at the possiblities.

First thought: Open source webOS + open source Android = webOS running android apps. They both run on linux cores, it should be reasonably simple for a dedicated dev or dev crew to now slap together a ground-up build that can natively run android apps right off any of the droid marketplaces IN webOS. It was previously annoyingly difficult to do this, but open sourcing the whole thing makes it so much more do-able. In one swoop you'd instantly solve the no-apps problem and have a quality OS to freely drop on whatever device you feel like dropping it onto...

Instant massive app catalog on an awesome OS.

I want, I want I want I want.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Dogma, cyberprashant, sq5 and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: cyberprashant
Old 12/09/2011, 04:45 PM   #84 (permalink)

The problem with Android apps on WebOS is the massive OS design difference. Sure, it's way cool to have Netflix on a TouchPad, but will it mesh since it's the Android version and not the version that would have been designed for WebOS?

On another note, it also makes me think about the design difference in all Android devices. So if an Android app is ugly, it is ugly on ALL devices not just WebOS ones. So I shed my fear in the above comment and welcome Android apps with welcome arms!

EXCEPT: I really hope that when an emulator is ported to WebOS they will code a way to keep the information bar visible even when the emulator is running.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:01 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
What about android then? Plenty easy to hack...even go as far as a full custom rom replacement like CM7 and many others.
A: Google doesn't support the custom ROM's, this is the same way MS got around it.

B: webOS included 'root' in the OS (Dev Mode).

Maybe you are right, but I think OEM support made the carrier's shy away.
Old 12/09/2011, 05:06 PM   #86 (permalink)

This is pretty fantastic in that I can now get a Galaxy Note in a few months and just install webOS on it

I like these news. Much better than what I was expecting (=nothing).
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 05:40 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
My mind is reeling at the possiblities.

First thought: Open source webOS + open source Android = webOS running android apps. They both run on linux cores, it should be reasonably simple for a dedicated dev or dev crew to now slap together a ground-up build that can natively run android apps right off any of the droid marketplaces IN webOS. It was previously annoyingly difficult to do this, but open sourcing the whole thing makes it so much more do-able. In one swoop you'd instantly solve the no-apps problem and have a quality OS to freely drop on whatever device you feel like dropping it onto...

Instant massive app catalog on an awesome OS.

I want, I want I want I want.
Put me down for that too, along with the ability to properly address some existing webOS issues.

This is good news all round and totally unexpected by me.
Old 12/09/2011, 05:41 PM   #88 (permalink)

It would be great to see a manufacturer step in and put webOS on their phones. Not all of their phones, just some. It would be a nice option to have.
paul-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:51 PM   #89 (permalink)

All I can say is "WHOA"!

I had just posted my Touchpad on CL to see if I could move it to purchase a 'native' Android device...I think I'm going to have to rethink that now.
Quote:
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
AZBrowncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:58 PM   #90 (permalink)

so, there are some interesting implications comingmout of this.

1. TOUCHPAD. This means (I hope) that Rod and team can do more and better things to our TouchPad's and keep alive a 1,000,000 plus marketplace.
2. HP app catalogue. I didn't see any mention of keeping that alive. So where/how will developers reap their rewards if that dies (I hope it doesn't, but will HP pay to keep it going?
I wonder what their profit margin is? Maybe it does pay for itself.
3. Other hardware vendors. They will grab a copy of it and may well bring out low cost phones and tablets. Good for webos as long as there is an apps catalogue somewhere.
4. Xda developers. Great. How long before we see an iPad running Webos?

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 06:26 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
so, there are some interesting implications comingmout of this.

1. TOUCHPAD. This means (I hope) that Rod and team can do more and better things to our TouchPad's and keep alive a 1,000,000 plus marketplace.
2. HP app catalogue. I didn't see any mention of keeping that alive. So where/how will developers reap their rewards if that dies (I hope it doesn't, but will HP pay to keep it going?
I wonder what their profit margin is? Maybe it does pay for itself.
3. Other hardware vendors. They will grab a copy of it and may well bring out low cost phones and tablets. Good for webos as long as there is an apps catalogue somewhere.
4. Xda developers. Great. How long before we see an iPad running Webos?

Alan
In response to your App Catalog question, I asked the same thing on Twitter, and @germboy, a webos employee responded to me that it will remain the way it is now.
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 06:35 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
A little premature to make a claim like that.

HP didn't put the support into webOS that google puts into android when they owned it outright. What makes a person think they will start doing that now that they have given it away to everyone?

Sorry, but in the months that webOS has been stagnated, the requirements for a complete system have gone up significantly. At first all you needed was decent hardware and a nice OS. Then you needed decent hardware, a nice OS and good app support. Now you need excellent hardware, the OS, apps, movies and music. HP didnít commit to those when it was full in, why would they commit to them now?

-Suntan
That is partially untrue. HP put a lot of support and effort into webOS up until the day Leo decided to stop making hardware. The TouchPad has more big names apps now then the Pre/Pixi family ever had. There are 10 x more webOS tablet apps than Android tablet apps, so you have to give them credit for that. Even after they decided to kill the hardware they kept updating the software.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 06:40 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
The thing is that makes it a good choice is that the Chinese market is so huge... Meizu now has a Chinese language droid phone... They do it in webos, capture a gazillion Chinese/Asian users with their own ecosystem... Then they will have that stickiness that companies like apple enjoy. Then you can go from a dominating Asian market and go global.

Baidu has always been compared to google... This would almost be a no brainer for them to have an OS like this available for them that has gained people's attention and respect.
People underestimate the Chinese market. They are a force to be reckoned with. They have the largest cell phone company in the world. If webOS becomes popular in China it would move into the top 3 of mobile OS and quite possibly knock off one of the big two.
Old 12/09/2011, 06:51 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
And they sell MILLIONS of them BECAUSE of Android, but they won't sell millions of webOS phones. If they drop Android, their profits will decrease.

So again, if you're expecting any of the big Android manufacturers to drop Android to place all their eggs in the webOS basket, when that OS has never grabbed more than 2% of the market, then you're in for a big disappointment.

If you're expecting a ZTE webOS phone, now we're talking. If you're looking for devs to put it on existing Android phones, then you are in for a treat. If you think it will suddenly make up more than 2% of the market, you're dreaming.

The good news is that it's not dead, so be happy for that and stop overreaching
It already makes up more than 2% of the market so we don't expect it to go down.

The big story will be how to track webOS usage. Will this be the Windows/Linux saga all over again? Most Linux users buy Windows computers, then install Linux on them. So Microsoft gets credit for a sale even though the owner doesn't use Windows. Using the web browser identity was one way of tracking Linux usage, but most users change the browser's identity to access certain websites. People will be buying Android devices to install webOS on them (I just bought the EVO 3D to do this) but they will count towards Android sells making the platform look stronger than it really is.
Old 12/09/2011, 07:05 PM   #95 (permalink)

I think this is what webos needed. I mean just imagine having an sgs2 with webos on it. The hardware was what always held webos back.
Premium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cyberprashant likes this.
Thanked by cyberprashant, etphoto
Old 12/09/2011, 07:23 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
Not a noob, but am a noob to open source.

Could someone explain the possibile ramifications of this move? I see a big mix of reactions, but mostly relief and excitement.

I'm getting a vibe that this means webOS-Internals and other groups could port webOS to new hardware and make more significant upgrades to the webOS software itself than was possible before. Is that correct?
Open source is an amazing gift for a company not willing to invest billions in a platform. This allows the homebrew community to do what they want with WebOS. More importantly -- and what scares me most -- is hardware manufactures can develop WebOS and change it as they please. This is an amazing thing, although we could end up with TouchWiz WebOS, or Sense WebOS, or ... you get the idea. This is what I wanted for WebOS. Being open source is a good thing.
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 08:48 PM   #97 (permalink)

My Chinese co-worker tells me Touchpad is quite popular in China. He has custom apps and Chinese input pack that he sideloaded to his firesale TP.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 09:19 PM   #98 (permalink)
News Contributor

This is an analys made by Davies Murphy Group Europe:

'U-turn'

Analysts said the decision secured the platform's future, at least in the short to medium term.

"Given how successful HP was in selling off their tablet computers cheaply when they scrapped the platform we always suspected there would be some sort of u-turn," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at Davies Murphy Group Europe.

"However we still don't think it will become a major platform to rival Google's Android and Apple's iOS. It will appeal to many generic tablet makers out there - but its long term future will probably be to power HP printers, and other peripheral devices."

Colin Gillis, senior tech analyst at BGC Partners, said HP had ultimately missed an opportunity to disrupt the market with a line of mobile computers powered by its own software.

"The real winner here is Microsoft," he said.

"It no longer has to contend with what would have been another viable operating system as it prepares to launch its Windows 8 tablets."

BBC News - HP donates WebOS system code to open source developers
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 09:20 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
And they sell MILLIONS of them BECAUSE of Android, but they won't sell millions of webOS phones. If they drop Android, their profits will decrease.

So again, if you're expecting any of the big Android manufacturers to drop Android to place all their eggs in the webOS basket, when that OS has never grabbed more than 2% of the market, then you're in for a big disappointment.

If you're expecting a ZTE webOS phone, now we're talking. If you're looking for devs to put it on existing Android phones, then you are in for a treat. If you think it will suddenly make up more than 2% of the market, you're dreaming.

The good news is that it's not dead, so be happy for that and stop overreaching
I don't think anyone expects even one manufacturer to drop Android like a hot potato to go with webOS, but I could see a few manufacturers put out at least one webOS device to test the waters.

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 10:20 PM   #100 (permalink)

I don't know much but I know this is good news for webOS and us who enjoy the platform.
rico2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0