webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS goes Open source
WebOS goes Open source
Like Tree46Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 12:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

I wonder if those manufacturers using Android and having to pay licensing fees to Microsoft will consider using webOS instead.
frank-barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

The best thing about this is no more patches for the calendar. Someone with the skill can now do it right

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
The first conclusion is that they simply could not get anyone to buy or license it - so it was this or total shutdown.
for the cash they spent + their using winblows for their new tablets, tbh, i thought they would choke webOS and never open source it, its like unleashign to the public a possible competitor to their winblows venture that could 1 day catch up and bite them in their face.

i aint complaining tho, massivly impressed they made that choice.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
The first conclusion is that they simply could not get anyone to buy or license it - so it was this or total shutdown.
Yeah. With Google the revinue stream is pretty straightforward (give you an OS that allows us to send ads to you) but how is maintaining this long term going to be worthwhile to HP?

If they just dump the code out and say, "Here you go," then walk away, it will make a lot of coding nerds happy. But it won't really make webOS come back and be competitive.

I know HP said they are going to support it, but what's in it for them?

-Suntan
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Doesn't the problem arise of formerly-Android phones not having the proper drivers to operate under weBOS? I know the CM team managed to port Android over, but they didn't have to deal with 3G or GPS radios.
jrstinkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
for the cash they spent + their using winblows for their new tablets, tbh, i thought they would choke webOS and never open source it, its like unleashign to the public a possible competitor to their winblows venture that could 1 day catch up and bite them in their face.

i aint complaining tho, massivly impressed they made that choice.

I am surprised as well - I'm really interested to see who picks this up (if anyone - I don't see a rush for the open source mobile projects knocking around).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

I suspect we'll find out pretty quick if there is a future for WebOS. If so, I would imagine we'd hear pretty soon of manufacturer interest in making WebOS devices. Sadly, I think the lack of apps is still going to be a major hindrance for WebOS to get traction in the market.
YankBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
The best thing about this is no more patches for the calendar. Someone with the skill can now do it right

i hear and agree, but tbh if you look at it in the logn run, maybe well get "proper" bluetooth capabilities now with other OS devices so i dont feel a moron not being able to send ppl pics/files, maybe well get "proper" touch to share, instead of just the stock webapp only etc.

could get interesting
Old 12/09/2011, 12:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
Doesn't the problem arise of those phones not having the proper drivers to operate under Android? I know the CM team managed to port Android over, but they didn't have to deal with 3G or GPS radios.
No idea, I'm sure someone will try - the bigger question for me is that HP *say* they will avoid fragmentation but with an open source project, I'm not really sure how they do that?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Does this mean Matias Duarte can legally use the cool parts he created for webOS and use it for Android now?
Old 12/09/2011, 12:57 PM   #31 (permalink)

The best part is, I hope this shuts all the "webOS is dead" cheerleaders up.

etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:00 PM   #32 (permalink)

in a way they get somethign back, they keep webOS for their printers still as ittl be opensourced + other people they dont have to pay make updates (possibly in a boltin/preware way, adding what you want).

everyones a winner.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

If there is any remote interest by some manufacturers to make WebOS devices, how long do think it will be before we hear something? After how long of not hearing of anyone taking up WebOS could we assume it's going to die?
YankBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:04 PM   #34 (permalink)

Let the innovation immerse .... Happy and shocked ... didn't expect HP to have half the brain to come-up with a decision like this!
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:04 PM   #35 (permalink)

The real question is what is happening to HP employess - any layoffs?
Old 12/09/2011, 01:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

This is really win-win for HP. They don't have a buyer, they don't plan on new hardware, they can't ignore the potential of the software, but they need an innovation incubator to realize the potential, BUT they can't afford to invest in that direction. So they open-source it, get smart people already making software for free/donations, and reap the benefits of any innovation if/when it takes off. They guage the risk based on what their competitors do. The moment a competitor leverages that code or ships a product using some innovation found in webOS, HP will follow soon after.

Then again, every single prediction I've made about HP and webOS has failed so who really knows
nhavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by DeadVim likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
News Contributor

What's next (drumroll, please...)? HP is contributing webOS to the open source community

With the goal of ensuring that the webOS platform will continue to evolve in new and creative ways, HP announced today its plan to contribute both webOS and the Enyo application framework to the open source community.

As HP President and CEO Meg Whitman noted, "webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable. By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices."

HP will remain an active participant and investor in the project. More details will become available as the project ramps up, but interested developers can start sharing their input immediately at the webOS developer blog.

Jon Zilber

The Official HP Palm Blog: What's next (drumroll, please...)? HP is contributing webOS to the open source community
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:07 PM   #38 (permalink)

We'll see the first resistive screen $50 tablets roll out of China right in time for Christmas
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

Anyone wanna take a position on how long it'll take before we see new hardware?
jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

One possible outcome is that Amazon could merge Android and WebOS.
slbailey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0