webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS goes Open source
WebOS goes Open source
Like Tree46Likes

Old 12/17/2011, 09:58 PM   #181 (permalink)

Wow! In the last two posts people are sheeple for buying the more expensive Apple product or they are considered those Apple is the best types.

In just about any other product category there are products that cost more because they are better quality. Example: a Honda automobile costs more than the comparable Dodge because a Honda will most likely be better built and more reliable.

But, when it comes to Apple they are singled out for costing more than the competition. Although, Apple is the most reliable in smart phones and computers

Smartphone Reliability and Satisfaction: iPhone Tops the List | PCWorld

Desktop PC Reliability and Satisfaction: Dell and HP Home PCs Get Poor Grades | PCWorld

Apparently, they can't charge more than the competition like just about all the other products that are more reliable in just about any category.

So, Apple offers more with the iPhone than the competition and is more reliable but they are still being singled out for charging more.

Something else. The whole sheeple thing. First of all it shows your ignorance. Secondly, every quarter when Apple gives their quarterly results they do surveys of people that enter their stores. About 40-50% of the people that enter the Apple store to buy a Mac are new to the Mac. So, can you really call them sheeple? And if you look at the surveys done by PC World you will see that they are not sheeple but people looking to buy reliable products. I even posted this in an earlier post, but you still choose to call them sheeple or Apple is the best types. Good job on slandering people for wanting reliable tech products.
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 02:20 AM   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
In just about any other product category there are products that cost more because they are better quality. Example: a Honda automobile costs more than the comparable Dodge because a Honda will most likely be better built and more reliable.
Honda resale value is more than Dodge but not new pricing. At least use an analogy that makes sense. Mercedes and Jaguar were rated the worst in reliability yet they cost much more than a Honda.

Quote:
But, when it comes to Apple they are singled out for costing more than the competition. Although, Apple is the most reliable in smart phones and computers
I know this is going to go in one ear and out the other but Apple only has to make IOS run great on one phone and Mac on just a few computers. To tailor the OS to a single or few models gives it a much better chance of not running into bugs or issues. Again, it's common sense or logical.....choose one.

Quote:
Something else. The whole sheeple thing. First of all it shows your ignorance. Secondly, every quarter when Apple gives their quarterly results they do surveys of people that enter their stores. About 40-50% of the people that enter the Apple store to buy a Mac are new to the Mac. So, can you really call them sheeple? And if you look at the surveys done by PC World you will see that they are not sheeple but people looking to buy reliable products. I even posted this in an earlier post, but you still choose to call them sheeple or Apple is the best types. Good job on slandering people for wanting reliable tech products.

Yeah, most people choose Apple because they are Sheeple. Most consumers don't research. I work for a wireless carrier and have a couple of friends that work for Best Buy and people don't have a clue the difference between Apple and the other products but they buy it because they are cool. You know how many parents of teens I know that say their kid only wants an Iphone and the reason is because it's an Iphone? It's as much a fashion statement as it is a device for use, but with the Iphone you get the prestige and function. Here's a great video a Best Buy employee did after dealing with so many Sheeple.

iPhone4 vs HTC Evo - YouTube

or Samsung's new add making fun of the Sheeple.

Samsung "The Next Big Thing" ad parodies an iPhone line - YouTube
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 09:03 AM   #183 (permalink)
Banned

where's ruby? i thought ruby got kicked to the side and moved to 'product innovation' at PSG... meaning he was sitting in the ejector seat when leo was about to get rid of PSG.

give it to him that he may had some vision of webos... but look at what how he executed. at palm... look how he executed at hp (god he brung the VEER out first! really?! *** was that?)... leo may have pulled the plug, but ruby 'roadmap' was driving webos off a cliff... let him back in and give him a 3rd chance? i said back at palm they needed to get rid of ruby. good riddance to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
Does anyone else think it's odd that the voice of webOS is Meg Whitman, now? The guys over at the Verge brought this up on their video show. Where is Ruby? He's obviously been marginalized in a big way almost to the extent that you wonder why he is still at HP. I mean, if there was really a "roadmap" for open-source webOS, he would be logical guy to deliver the message to the media.

Last edited by donm527; 12/18/2011 at 09:09 AM.
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 11:47 AM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Honda resale value is more than Dodge but not new pricing. At least use an analogy that makes sense. Mercedes and Jaguar were rated the worst in reliability yet they cost much more than a Honda.

I know this is going to go in one ear and out the other but Apple only has to make IOS run great on one phone and Mac on just a few computers. To tailor the OS to a single or few models gives it a much better chance of not running into bugs or issues. Again, it's common sense or logical.....choose one.

Yeah, most people choose Apple because they are Sheeple. Most consumers don't research. I work for a wireless carrier and have a couple of friends that work for Best Buy and people don't have a clue the difference between Apple and the other products but they buy it because they are cool. You know how many parents of teens I know that say their kid only wants an Iphone and the reason is because it's an Iphone? It's as much a fashion statement as it is a device for use, but with the Iphone you get the prestige and function. Here's a great video a Best Buy employee did after dealing with so many Sheeple.
Sheeple are what makes the world go round.
Quote:
"I work for a wireless carrier".
Guess what, you're a sheeple. Nothing wrong with that per say. People have to make a living.
All people who work for someone else are Sheeple. Most software platforms that have a following will have it's share of sheeple, webos being the exception. There is another word for that.

Quote:Originally Posted by nusome4

Quote:
So? No one's stopping other manufacturers from doing the same. No point here.

Quote:
Yeah, most people choose Apple because they are Sheeple.
Not a provable statement. Sounds more like sour grapes.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 12:27 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
So? No one's stopping other manufacturers from doing the same. No point here.
You are right here and HP tried and they only had one device and still couldn't get WebOS to run better than Android, until the last update.

Quote:
Not a provable statement. Sounds more like sour grapes.
Provable in what sense? In observations made from multiple sources like I did.
Old 12/18/2011, 12:49 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
snip..
Provable in what sense? In observations made from multiple sources like I did.
You're multiple sources only mean something to you. They are not verifiable by any quantifiable facts.
Old 12/18/2011, 12:59 PM   #187 (permalink)

Is anyone moderating this thread?
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 01:44 PM   #188 (permalink)

I'm officially out of this one.

I remember a saying that warns against arguing w/ certain types; I believe it ends "make sure they aren't doing the same thing." Seems there is hope though. He is finally (and consciously, I hope) singing a different tune from his last line in post #148. All this after so many changes to the argument.

Anyway here's a laugh. I was searching for that saying when I came across it. As a disclaimer, its not directed at anyone in particular, nor is it meant as disrespect. I think its relevant for obvious reasons but the funny part is, I actually imagined the stooges decked out in all sorts of Apple gear.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 02:00 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
You're multiple sources only mean something to you. They are not verifiable by any quantifiable facts.
I had to do research studies in college and all studies were done using observational analysis from a limited group, to be able to extend that to the population. So if you are admonishing me for using a limited scope of surveys then the PC mag is not a quantifiable "fact" because it's self administered evaluation, which is by far a less reliable source then first hand observation. Thank you, please come again.
Old 12/18/2011, 02:27 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
I had to do research studies in college and all studies were done using observational analysis from a limited group, to be able to extend that to the population. So if you are admonishing me for using a limited scope of surveys then the PC mag is not a quantifiable "fact" because it's self administered evaluation, which is by far a less reliable source then first hand observation. Thank you, please come again.
If you are satified with your results on sheeple, that's fine. You have nothing to prove to a wider audience of your "facts". You would need to develope some kind of sheeple meter. Maybe you can make "an app for that."

Last edited by sinsin07; 12/18/2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12/18/2011, 05:03 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:

iPhone4 vs HTC Evo - YouTube

or Samsung's new add making fun of the Sheeple.

Samsung "The Next Big Thing" ad parodies an iPhone line - YouTube
I did use an analogy that makes sense. If you were to configure a Honda Odyssey minivan and a Dodge Caravan minivan with similar specs, the Honda would cost more because they have the reputation of better reliability and build quality. Nowhere was I talking about resale value.

Anybody that is shopping for a Honda is not going to be comparing a Honda to a Mercedes or Jaguar. They are not in the same class.

About the iPhone being cool. Do you think the iPhone would be cool if it were not reliable and just works as the surveys I posted earlier said? Who doesn't want something that is reliable?
Old 12/18/2011, 05:13 PM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
I'm officially out of this one.

I remember a saying that warns against arguing w/ certain types; I believe it ends "make sure they aren't doing the same thing." Seems there is hope though. He is finally (and consciously, I hope) singing a different tune from his last line in post #148. All this after so many changes to the argument.

Anyway here's a laugh. I was searching for that saying when I came across it. As a disclaimer, its not directed at anyone in particular, nor is it meant as disrespect. I think its relevant for obvious reasons but the funny part is, I actually imagined the stooges decked out in all sorts of Apple gear.
When I made that post I was talking about buying the iPhone on contract. Starting at $199, the iPhone costs the same as most smart phones that are bought on contract in the US. You or someone else said that most people in the rest of the world buy phones at full price and talked about the iPhone costing more, etc.

As I said earlier, across all other industries companies that have a reputation for building better products or more reliable in their class typically charge more for their products. Why should Apple be any different? There is more than enough evidence out there that shows that Apple builds high quality, reliable stuff.
Old 12/19/2011, 07:26 AM   #193 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
When I made that post I was talking about buying the iPhone on contract. Starting at $199, the iPhone costs the same as most smart phones that are bought on contract in the US. You or someone else said that most people in the rest of the world buy phones at full price and talked about the iPhone costing more, etc.

As I said earlier, across all other industries companies that have a reputation for building better products or more reliable in their class typically charge more for their products. Why should Apple be any different? There is more than enough evidence out there that shows that Apple builds high quality, reliable stuff.
Let's take an example from my country, The Netherlands.
iPhone 4S (and previous models when those were the newest):
iPhone 4S 32 GB full price: 710
iPhone 4S with cheapest contract: 13,95 a month, but the phone itself still costs 389 then
iPhone 4S with most expensive contract: 89,95 a month, but the phone itself still costs 179 then

Even the Motorola Razr is cheaper and the Razr is one of the most expensive phones at the moment which is iPhone-competitor.

So even IF Apple makes that high quality, then it's still way too overpriced.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:50 AM   #194 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

when 2g came out, i consider it compareable to the nokia n75(95) which they were selling for around $750 back then? and try to find a n95 at subsidized prices... and try to find data prices for $20 like apple pushed with ATT.

I expected the ipad to first come out at $1000 and bet all the competitors were too hoping to jump on that wagon and make money... i bet hp and the rest crapped their pants when the price came out of jobs mouth. i mean look at how much hp was selling the windows tablet at that time!

i guess everyone has their opinion on who overcharges who and such... but coming from the days of n95s that i feel were out of reach of the average people and smartphones were only for the business type that could afford it and the data charges, i think apple actually sold their stuff at a price that made mobile what it is and caused their competitors to compete at a level that if they had their choice would be much higher.
Very true, Apple pushed the industry. However the industry has overtaken Apple in many individual areas. Apple's unique vertical integration served them while they created new category of gadgets. I doubt how long they can continue to do that.
Me thinks they had a good run from 2001 to 2011. They might struggle a bit next year in creating new gadget categories or they might come back strong with TV offering.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 07:11 PM   #195 (permalink)

Apple products are for people that are afraid of choices and lack the skill or desire to customize their device beyond changing the wallpaper.. Luckily for Apple that is most of the population.

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 07:35 PM   #196 (permalink)

NOTE:
Members:

Please keep this discussion about webOS and OpenSource. Posts derailing it into another us vs. Apple <insert product> debate will be deleted.

Thank you

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0