webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > We need a team to port WebOS to android devices
We need a team to port WebOS to android devices
Like Tree21Likes

Old 08/22/2011, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am currently trying to gather some kind of team to get this off the ground. I am very sure there are many others out there that want WebOS on their devices. I will donate any time and resources to get this going. Thank you again to all the homebrew community and PreCentral for all your years of excellent service.
JMack817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rennat, Jeffmcc, callmechewy and 2 others like this.
Old 08/22/2011, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

We need a team of ninjas to break into the Palm offices to steal the source code first.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jeffmcc
Old 08/22/2011, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
We need a team of ninjas to break into the Palm offices to steal the source code first.
Then after that, it only runs on specific Qualcomm CPUs.
Tikerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 01:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Very good idea. If this kicks in, I may be able to talk to people in some communication company and provide valuable information for the drivers (lawfully).
webosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mstrblueskys likes this.
Old 08/22/2011, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is there anyway to run Dalvik on WebOS. Then, WebOS would be to run Andriod apps.
webosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

would there not be a way to extract the driver files from webos doctor?
Old 08/22/2011, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would love to see webos on my EVO.
lornaevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fwinst, IICODECll and Jeffmcc like this.
Thanked By: Jeffmcc
Old 08/22/2011, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the link for the open source software so far.

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm
Old 08/22/2011, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

webOS is closed source. Rod and others have explained that they cannot port copy protected software without a license.

Android on the other hand is open source so those apps could be ported to the webOS hardware.
milominderbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: brum
Old 08/22/2011, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Why don't putting efforts to open source WebOS or make an open source clone of WebOS.

Here it is my suggestion from other forum thread.

Sorry to get my nose inside your community.

Your idea to fight is good !! every WebOS user should fight right now. But I think the community need to focus on something else.

The first (and last) question the community need to solve is:
┐How people are going to get interest in WebOS if the main developer of the OS (HP) will discontinue and eventually will turn into abandomware?

No matter how much effort you put on supporting WebOS, making tutorials, posting screenshots and making evangelism, people will always touch this question.

A way to reduce the risk of any OS becoming abandomware is to turn it open source under any OSI approved license (opensource_org). With that you will be always independent of the main developer, and virtually anyone can jump to develop and improve WebOS.

So my suggestions for your community.

1) Make a petition to HP to open source WebOS under a approved OSI open source license. Make some pressure, post the petition on the press, slashdot, etc. Once the petition is signed send an open letter to the HP CEO with all the signatures, and make it public when you send the request and what you get as a reply.
Also, in your petition ask to open source as much as HP can, possible there is some third party source code that can not be open by them.

(Warning: WebOS is not open source, don't get confused that there are some compoments that are already open (opensource_palm_com))

2) Get the WebOS developer community to start right now a WebOS open source clone. Yes, it will be hard, it will take time, it will cost a lot of resources, but it can be accomplished. Just take the examples there is "Unix Clone = Linux" "Windows x86 Clone = React OS" "BeOS clone = HaikuOS". So grab the stuff you already have open source (opensource.palm.com), grab all technical documentation and start to open source the WebOS component by component.

3) Get the community together. Since you are an active WebOS community member (I'm not), start getting the community together towards the idea of Open Source and try to bring them together to help. Where does the WebOS developers hang out? where does the users hang out? It is possible that a lot of WebOS will start to disappear with time and fade away. Try to bring the people together.

Right now it is the time to bring the WebOS into an open source community, before the OS fade away and users/developers make the complete switch.

Good Luck !
Fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fred1955, innocentbystander and sploidy like this.
Thanked By: fred1955
Old 08/22/2011, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

why port another os? Is it for the Apps? Isn't that the reason phone gap was created?
champiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fred1955 likes this.
Thanked By: fred1955
Old 08/23/2011, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

i would love this so very much
thetony2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

we all do and this is why it is so vital to go ahead and start blasting HP with emails to request open source privileges.
Old 08/24/2011, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

not for the apps. i want webos on multiple devices since HP killed the Palm/HP Handset division.
Old 08/24/2011, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webosfreak View Post
Is there anyway to run Dalvik on WebOS. Then, WebOS would be to run Andriod apps.
This would be the best idea. The Dalvik VM is open source, and there is no reason it couldn't be ported to run on WebOS.
Old 10/25/2011, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Ok,

It looks like it has been a couple of months since someone posted on this thread and I (for one ) would like to see it get some traction. I am not sure what is happening with the whole WebOS thing but there have been plenty of defectors. Some of my fellow Tablet owners are playing with the port of Android to the touchpad, but I like the feel and the functionality of WebOS and the limited apps just fine.

I would like to make some additional suggestions:

If you are serious about trying to do this, you need to:

(1) solidify the group first and get committed people on board.
(2) Make an assessment of your resources and skillsets to see if you have the ability to pull this off.
(3) Draft a business case that you can present to HP that will show them that you can potentially turn into a revenue stream on licensing fees for HP in a 1 -2 year time frame for development if they license the code to the team (which will probably have to be under a NDA agreement). <- This is where the group solvency will be critical.
(4) you will need some tools like emulator or people willing to use their own hardware for development purposes.
(5) you will have to broaden the market to include porting WebOS over to traditional android tablets and such.

This is just a start.

eUNIX
eunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 01:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

I would definitely support this cause. Keep me informed on the progress and I will donate to the cause. That reminds me that I need to make a donation to webos internals at some point soon.

Im currently trying an android phone and I now realize how much webOS has come to mean to me.
joen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
This would be the best idea. The Dalvik VM is open source, and there is no reason it couldn't be ported to run on WebOS.
I would love to see Dalvik ported to webOS. The ease of use of webOS with the apps library of Android would be great.
Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 05:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

this has been attempted on both the htc hero and the htc evo4g and nothing came of it. i believe rod was involved in the discussions as well.

ill also donate for this to happen but i think first we need it to go open source. do the right thing here hp. it's webos's only chance left.

i think with the combo of webos internals & a good android team we could make this happen. we just need motivation and funding.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android port webos, webos, webos port

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0