1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Just like Clinton?

Source: BBC

After President George W Bush's party suffered a series of blows in US local elections, some are now asking whether he is becoming an electoral liability.

After months of political unrest, marked by scandals and falling poll ratings, Republicans badly needed some good news from these votes.

What they got was nothing to cheer: A loss in the close-run race for Virginia governor - despite the president's appearance on the campaign trail, defeat in New Jersey, a partial success in New York.

In California, Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger put a series of referendum issues to the electorate - all of them were rejected.

Possibly the most significant vote was in Virginia - where the president's political gamble failed.

-snip-
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    That is what Dean is saying, however if you look at Virginia's past elections they go back and forth almost every election, if the Governor goes repub the house goes Dems and if the governor goes dem the house goes repub. I do not know about NJ, but that is usually a dem state anyway. CA is a different story with Arnold than anything else I can remember. Local elections have never been a barometer for the national level so you really can not judge anything from them. Look at NYC mayor, largest election win % in history and that was by a repub. Next fall will be the test and the barometer to measure.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Next fall will be the test and the barometer to measure.
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I second that.

Being a Virginian, I can tell you that this election had little if anything to do with Bush and much to do with Kilgore's smear tactics and lack of charisma.

And as previously mentioned, Virginians for some reason (to show they're moderates?) like to split the offices between parties. For example, the Lt. Gov. race was won by a Republican, and the GOP candidate was leading in an AG race that was too close to call last I checked.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    I second that.

Being a Virginian, I can tell you that this election had little if anything to do with Bush and much to do with Kilgore's smear tactics and lack of charisma.
    However, could it relect, if not a negative impact, a null impact which is less than a positive one, which is what they were shooting for?
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    ..Being a Virginian, I can tell you that this election had little if anything to do with Bush and much to do with Kilgore's smear tactics and lack of charisma.
    That might be true, but the country as a whole will view the situation differently. Bush and his agenda has stalled. Something positive needs to happen and this hasn't helped.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    I know that in CA, Arnold snubbed Pres. Bush when he came out. Some speculated that because the Pres. popularity has taken a hit, that Arnold wanted to keep some distance. Doesn't seem to have made a difference anyway.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I know that in CA, Arnold snubbed Pres. Bush when he came out. Some speculated that because the Pres. popularity has taken a hit, that Arnold wanted to keep some distance. Doesn't seem to have made a difference anyway.
    This seems to be taking place all over the GOP. Santorum is one, there were a few others mentioned as well. We shall see.
    His poisonous polls and this election are going to make Republicans pretend to assert some independence. Moderates are going to look for meaningful places to oppose him.

That's why I (perhaps alone) think that the nomination of Alito may yet be defeated. (and he might not be able to get a 3rd bite at the apple before the democrats take power in 2006.)

The truth is that junior has been rotten dead meat for years.

Katrina just opened the door and let the fetid stink waft through the nation's nostrils, unfiltered by the phoney pose crafted by the Rove propaganda machine.

Until September 2001 he was the product of fewer votes than his presidential opponent and the beneficiary of the conservative controlled Supreme court.

Comedians derided him.

Unrespected and laughed at, he was tolerated but unpopular. With the defection of Jeffords, he'd lost control of the Senate.

Then that day happened.

Independents, Democrats, liberals, rallied round him. He was the President –- our nation was attacked -– though they did not elect him they would support him.

For years he’s successfully managed to cloak himself in the bloody shirt of 9/11. Like a Red Badge of Courage, he’s postured himself a hero -– the shirt emblematic of his courage and strength.

Whenever trouble brewed, whenever doubts arose, he'd wave that bloody shirt -- the terror alert level would rise, a “new” (3 yr. old) Al Quaida threat would be discovered.

We were at war –- a war on Terror –- a war that would never end.

But then we needed also to rush to war against Sadamm -– we could not wait for the mushroom cloud that would be from a smoking gun. We could not wait until UN inspectors verified that he had no WMDs. He knew secrets we could not –- we had to trust him, we could not wait.

he wore that shirt so we had to trust him on the patriot act, trust him on torturing our prisoners, trust him on creating the biggest budget deficit in the history of civilization, trust him on subsidizing oil companies and the wealthy.

Now 33% think junior is trustworthy. (NBC/WSJ)

Katrina blew that bloody shirt all away. He stands now naked, exposed as the fraud he's always been.
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/10/2005 at 09:17 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I have heard so many people, both repub and dems say they are glad the special election went as it did. Not because they were for or against the issues, but because they were against the special election and the amount of money the gov't had to spend on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I have heard so many people, both repub and dems say they are glad the special election went as it did. Not because they were for or against the issues, but because they were against the special election and the amount of money the gov't had to spend on it.
    I think so too. I am not much of a union guy, so for most of the propositions, I was for them to pass. (either 3 out of 4 went to defeat or they all did...not sure about one.)

IMO CA has to get the budget under control. It's going to take more taxes or less spending. I'd rather spend less...the problem is where.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve