1.    #1  
    http://www.wral.com/news/5239325/detail.html

Good idea? Bad idea? As anyone in the military (and others) knows...an unwatched obstacle is a useless obstacle. This could cost millions of dollars and be pretty ineffective. All it would do is slow them down a little. But instead of running full bore, they would just bring wire cutters and cut a spot in the fence...take an extra 60 seconds. If we're going to do something this stupid, at least do something that can be a tourist attraction like the great wall of china. Hell, if you're gonna waste money, waste a LOT of it!

Discuss...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    An invisible fence would work the best. Actually it's the Electromagnetic Crowd Control device that the Pentagon has tucked away in it's little coin purse. They actually call it "The Active Denial System" .. It works by shooting invisible rays that penetrate clothing and raise skin temperature to 130 degrees or higher of people standing as far as 700 yards away. Pain and fear cause those affected to flee. Pentagon officials assure that since the rays reach only the very top layer of skin, they leave no serious injuries.
    Should use the National guard.
    Yeah that would do wonders for diplomatic relations with Mexico. Let's build a 2000 mile long device that burns Mexicans! Instead if we had a more aggressive detection system, perhaps a primitive radar or something of the like, we could monitor the border activity more efficiently without melting people . The only problem with that is it could appear as if we were spying on Mexico . I have no clue, all I know is that a 2000 mile fence isn't going to help.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    There would be no melting if the rules were obeyed.. Just like me not getting stopped for speeding when I am not speeding. I take that back about the speeding, totally forgot about racial profiling..
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Speaking of Diplomacy, I guess you never heard about the infamous "Guide Of The Mexican Migrant". A little booklet distributed by the Mexican Gov that gives instructions on how to safely and illegally cross the US Border. Yea for Diplomacy--> Hip Hip Hooray
    Maybe I am underestimating the 'expansiveness' of the problem (anyone have an esstimate on how many illegals cross the border a day?)...but what about sensors with more patrols including unmanned drones? Initial costs could be high but maintenance and operating costs appear to be nominal.

The sensors trigger the patrols and drone surveillance...the trespassers continue on their journey until picked up...never know how they got caught?

Create more of a penalty than just deportation for those that try to 'cheat' their way into the U.S.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Create more of a penalty than just deportation for those that try to 'cheat' their way into the U.S.
    Maybe the first time caught, we send them back to Mexico...the second time caught, we send them to France?
    That's what firearms are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Maybe the first time caught, we send them back to Mexico...the second time caught, we send them to France?
    I was thinking along the lines of charging Mexico for the costs of deportation. It is part of their problem as well. (Not trying to say that they encourage it, arguably they do, but they sure don't discourage it.)

How do we charge them? I am not sure...maybe through some sort of trade incentive/break?

dlbrummels: I'd rather not shoot them. Most of these people just want a better life...there are other people who deserve a firing squad IMO.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

There would be warning shots...
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Maybe I am underestimating the 'expansiveness' of the problem (anyone have an esstimate on how many illegals cross the border a day.
    I am not sure about how many a day, but I have heard from several news reports in the last couple months ranging from 12-20 million illegal aliens in the USA right now, with most saying around 12-15 million.

In the thread.... Now here is a bill I can agree with! ....(a memorable thread where Barye and I bonded as never before )....here is one of my posts about some of the published concerns with current number of illegal aliens right now:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am in total agreement with both NRG and BARYE!

I always felt the turn of Undocumented Immigrant was a term to soften the reality of their illegal actions from crossing the border and living her outside of the system and against every immigration law on the books. If I stole a stereo system would I be thief or simply a Undocumented Stereo Owner with the legal rights to own the stereo if I got it home without getting caught? Would my actions be accountable to the law?

I am totally for immigration, but through the due process for several reasons (most of which have already been stated):

>> National Security, do I really need to go into details on this one? In fact for the this ONE reason alone, I feel this law is valid and would get my vote.

>>Health Care. We pay for their care out of our taxes, driving further due to hospitals closing that can’t afford fronting the money for illegal health care, high insurance rates, etc...

FAIR estimates "there are currently between 287,000 and 363,000 children born to illegal aliens each year. In 1994, California paid for 74,987 deliveries to illegal alien mothers, at a total cost of $215.2 million (an average of $2,842 per delivery). Illegal alien mothers accounted for 36 percent of all Medi-Cal funded births in California that year."

In a recent year in Colorado, the state's emergency Medicaid program paid an estimated $30 million in hospital and physician delivery costs for about 6,000 illegal immigrant mothers - average of $5,000 per baby. Those 6,000 births to illegal aliens represent 40% of the births paid for by Medicaid in Colorado. Those 6,000 babies immediately became U.S. citizens and qualified for full Medicaid services, with a cost yet to be tabulated.

The federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) mandates that U.S. hospitals with emergency-room services must treat anyone who requires care, including illegal aliens. Medical service for Americans in affected communities is being severely damaged as hospitals absorb more than $200 million in unreimbursed costs. Some emergency rooms have shut down because they cannot afford to stay open. Local tax-paying Americans are either denied medical care or have to wait in long lines for service as the illegals flood the facilities. In California, the losses are calculated to be about $79 million, with $74 million in Texas, $31 million in Arizona, and $6 million in New Mexico.
    http://www.theamericanresistance.com...alth_care.html

An estimated one-third to one-half illegal aliens work off the books. It costs $200 million to provide for emergency health care for illegal aliens in the Border States annually. California with over three million illegals paid $79 million, BUT four of their major LA hospitals bankrupted and shut their doors in 2004. Texas with 1.5 million illegal aliens paid $74 million in hospital care. Who is Texas? You, the taxpayer, that’s who! Because you, in your state, pay commensurate medical care according to your illegal alien population. Georgia ran a $63 million deficit for 64,000 unpaid doctor visits to their Grady Health Care system in 2002. In the same year, Georgia taxpayers paid $27 million for 11,188 anchor baby hospital births. Georgia taxpayers paid a whopping $242 million for educating illegal alien kids in 2003. What is it in your state?
    http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty2.htm
    >> Violent Crimes. Across the nation, it averages that 30% of all local and federal prisoners are illegal immigrants, many of which are in for violent crimes, i.e. murder, physical assault, rape, etc....

Police commanders may not want to discuss, much less respond to, the illegal-alien crisis, but its magnitude for law enforcement is startling. Some examples:

• In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide (which total 1,200 to 1,500) target illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) are for illegal aliens.

• A confidential California Department of Justice study reported in 1995 that 60 percent of the 20,000-strong 18th Street Gang in southern California is illegal; police officers say the proportion is actually much greater. The bloody gang collaborates with the Mexican Mafia, the dominant force in California prisons, on complex drug-distribution schemes, extortion, and drive-by assassinations, and commits an assault or robbery every day in L.A. County. The gang has grown dramatically over the last two decades by recruiting recently arrived youngsters, most of them illegal, from Central America and Mexico.

• The leadership of the Columbia Lil’ Cycos gang, which uses murder and racketeering to control the drug market around L.A.’s MacArthur Park, was about 60 percent illegal in 2002, says former assistant U.S. attorney Luis Li. Francisco Martinez, a Mexican Mafia member and an illegal alien, controlled the gang from prison, while serving time for felonious reentry following deportation.

in 2000, for example, nearly 30 percent of federal prisoners were foreign-born. The agency couldn’t find enough pro bono attorneys to represent such an army of criminal aliens (who have extensive due-process rights in contesting deportation) and so would have to request delay after delay. Or enough immigration judges would not be available. In 1997, the INS simply had no record of a whopping 36 percent of foreign-born inmates who had been released from federal and four state prisons without any review of their deportability. They included 1,198 aggravated felons, 80 of whom were soon re-arrested for new crimes.
    http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_...gal_alien.html

When an alien criminal gets caught for rape, murder or drug distribution, you pay $1.6 billion annually in prison costs to house, feed and clothe those filling 30 percent of our federal and state prisons
    >> Education.

While these massive budget deficits cannot be attributed to any single source, the enormous impact of large-scale illegal immigration cannot be ignored. The total K-12 school expenditure for illegal immigrants costs the states nearly $12 billion annually, and when the children born here to illegal aliens are added, the costs more than double to $28.6 billion.

In Texas, the $3.9 billion spent annually educating the children of illegal immigrants could:

Cover more than the $2.3 billion shortfall identified by the Texas Federation for Teachers for such things as textbooks and pension contributions.
    Make Texas’ salaries for teachers more competitive by national standards, thereby reducing costly attrition, and recruit the 5,000 new teachers needed each year.

In California, the $7.7 billion spent annually educating the children of illegal immigrants—nearly 13% of the overall 2004–5 education budget—could: ........

In New York, the $3.1 billion spent annually educating the children of illegal immigrants could: ..........

In Illinois, the $2 billion spent annually educating the children of illegal immigrants could: .................

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?nam...rticle&sid=469

These are just a few areas of challenges we face with illegal immigrants.......PLEASE NOTE I am talking about ALL ILLEGAL Immigrants, not just from Mexico. But due our porous border, statistically a vast majority are from there. This is not racist, it is not discrimination. It is simply bringing those who want to be in our country and those who want to enjoy the opportunities our country provides accountable to our country and actually a legal part of supporting the systems and services that all Americans have an opportunity to take advantage of, ie. health care, education, transportation, law enforcement, etc...