1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about buying an iPod for my kids xmas this year. Will an ipod play any MP3 file I downlad off the net? Or any I've ripped from my own CD collection?

Or does the ipod just play those from iTunes?
    You can add your own mp3s. Your kids will love it.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Depending on how old your child is, you may want to check out the new Disney mp3 player to be sold by Walmart and other retail stores. It looks cool, will hold about 60 songs, and will retail for about $50.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Welcome to the Ipod dilemma! I'm in the process of shoppin for one for my hubby as an Anniversary present. Are you getting a Nano, Video, reg., etc?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm
    I'm thinking about buying an iPod for my kids xmas this year. Will an ipod play any MP3 file I downlad off the net? Or any I've ripped from my own CD collection?

Or does the ipod just play those from iTunes?
    What do you mean by downloading? If you mean from online vendors (iTunes, Yahoo, Napster...), only iTunes is compatible.

Your own ripped CDs are fine as long as they're in mp3 or aac formats.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    My old Napster collection (pre-RIAA kind)

As for which one, I'm thinking Nano or just a plain ole Ipod.....no video.
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm
    My old Napster collection (pre-RIAA kind)

As for which one, I'm thinking Nano or just a plain ole Ipod.....no video.
    You'll be fine with those files.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any more of the plain color iPods in the stores anymore.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What's a good BBS, NNTP newsgroup/site to discuss iTunes?

I installed iTunes (latest ver) 2 days ago, and I am underwhelmed. I have worked extra hard to RIP my CD's (all in MP3) into separate directories, sorted by Genre, Artist, Album..with the ID3 tags filled out for each track.

The hope was that when imported into a jukebox software (like iTunes) I would be able to create playlists based on complex search criteria. I want to see what's doable with iTunes (I got a freebie iPod Shuffle, so I'm stuck with using iTunes).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  9.    #9  
    which is better? ipod with itunes? or a creative zen (or equivalent) with yahoo's service? does yahoo have the same selection of music?
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    with itunes you buy the music and can use it forever, with napster and others you must pay the monthly fee or it will not play the encoded file. also check out ipod lounge lots of help.
    Also, if you really don't want to spend any time with software, the iPod and iTunes combo is really, really simple. It's great for the non-tech savvy. The Zen may have more bells and whistles, but if all you want to do is listen to music/podcasts, the iPod is very good. Besides, you don't have time for another technology with your Treo in the picture :-)
    Unfortunately, iTunes does not make it simple to load the playlists on to non-iPOD devices. One has to depend on 3rd party hacks that stop working when a new version of iTunes is released?

So, to those who have tried it: What is the best way of using iTunes to generate and load playlists on to the Treo?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A