Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    This whole canard about Bush's supposed lack of intelligence gets under my skin. Sorry if I was a bit harsh. Some statements like those made in this thread are typically used as a proxy attack on his policies by people who'd rather engage in attacks on Bush personally than engage on ideas. If this doesn't include you, I apologize.Again, sorry for the slander of calling you a leftie.
    Not a problem. I have issues with those on the left, right, and independents. For the most part I consider myself an independent because I feel dirty whenever I classified myself as a Democrat or Republican. I've voted for all three at one time or another in my voting life.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Ok, here's an interesting point I never considered before. Miers was Bush's White House Counsel. So what would happen when something Bush signed into law came before the Supreme Court if she were a Justice?
    Arguably if she was a justice, she would judge the law on its constitutionality.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  3. #23  
    I am just disappointed that Miers wasn't given a chance to get an up or down vote.

    If Pres. Bush thought that much about nominating her, then he should stick to his guns and give her a chance to get confirmed. I think it was a mistake to withold answering (at least to some degree) the Senate Judiciary Committee questions. This is just one more thing that Dems can hold over Pres. Bush.

    I'm also sad because Miers came from a non-Ivy league law school...a 'non-trad' approach of getting to the Supreme Court (instead of the DC Ct. of Appeals.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am just disappointed that Miers wasn't given a chance to get an up or down vote.

    If Pres. Bush thought that much about nominating her, then he should stick to his guns and give her a chance to get confirmed. I think it was a mistake to withold answering (at least to some degree) the Senate Judiciary Committee questions. This is just one more thing that Dems can hold over Pres. Bush.

    I'm also sad because Miers came from a non-Ivy league law school...a 'non-trad' approach of getting to the Supreme Court (instead of the DC Ct. of Appeals.)
    I have mixed feelings, if the judiciary committee had enough information to seriously question her ability/confimation to go to her and say this is going to be tough. Maybe she did the right thing and prevent herself from facing a defeat and saves us (taxpayers) money (assuming she did not get confirmation). Not sure this is something the dems can really hold over Bush, I know they are already trying. Feinstein and group are saying see, this proves that you must nominate a liberal.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I have mixed feelings, if the judiciary committee had enough information to seriously question her ability/confimation to go to her and say this is going to be tough. Maybe she did the right thing and prevent herself from facing a defeat and saves us (taxpayers) money (assuming she did not get confirmation). Not sure this is something the dems can really hold over Bush, I know they are already trying. Feinstein and group are saying see, this proves that you must nominate a liberal.
    I don't think the answers to the questionnaire are really meant to question her ability much more so than they are to question her own political views.

    I think the Dems will hold this over Pres. Bush in the following way: "Hey look, the Reps are torn over a S.Ct. nominee from their own President."

    I think the 'real' issue here is that the far right Reps are upset that Miers is not conservative enough. I think its unfortunate because she appears to support the same policies as Pres. Bush and he appears to be very conservative?

    If Sen. Feinstein is saying what you are saying, then I think it's completely opposite of what will happen. Pres. Bush will now nominate a person who is even more conservative (especially in judicial philosophy) and that would hurt the Dems even more.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    But if W went to Harvard and HW went to Yale how did he get legacy treatment???I seem to recall stories about how he actually got better grades than his presidential adversaries. As is typical for lefties, you make claims based on your feelings and not based in reality.Without a doubt.

    This whole subtopic began with the assertion that GWB couldn't spell "nominate". Whether he got special consideration in being accepted to Harvard or not is petty and irrelevant.

    for the record:

    all bushies back 1 million generations attended Yale undergrad -- he was a LEGACY.

    When he managed to get into Harvard Bus. Skool it was at least partially as an excuse to demand to be excused from the aprox. 1-2 years he had left to serve in his National Guard commitment.

    (Parenthically, I've never understood how patriotic conservative veterans who have themselves been willing to risk their body and soul to the bullets of our enemies -- have without a second thought supported the generalship of a man who ducked out of Vietnam, whose VP did the same, whose leader like Wolfowitz the same, soon to be jailed Libby and Rove, the same...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    for the record:

    all bushies back 1 million generations attended Yale undergrad -- he was a LEGACY.

    When he managed to get into Harvard Bus. Skool it was at least partially as an excuse to demand to be excused from the aprox. 1-2 years he had left to serve in his National Guard commitment.

    (Parenthically, I've never understood how patriotic conservative veterans who have themselves been willing to risk their body and soul to the bullets of our enemies -- have without a second thought supported the generalship of a man who ducked out of Vietnam, whose VP did the same, whose leader like Wolfowitz the same, soon to be jailed Libby and Rove, the same...)
    Thanks for the clarification.

    I can't speak for veterans since I'm not one. I might suppose however that the might not so easily drink the same Bush-hating Kool-Aid as you. They might not accept the premise you offer that Bush evaded service. There's really no (non-forged) evidence to prove what you say... but I don't want to change the subject.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Thanks for the clarification.

    I can't speak for veterans since I'm not one. I might suppose however that the might not so easily drink the same Bush-hating Kool-Aid as you. They might not accept the premise you offer that Bush evaded service. There's really no (non-forged) evidence to prove what you say... but I don't want to change the subject.
    I think part of it is how Kerry was portrayed with his combat experience in Vietnam. For veterans, I am guessing it was the lesser of two evils. (As is much of politics IMHO). My father served in the Navy during Vietnam and despised Kerry for what he did when he came home. I on the other hand (assuming what Kerry said was true) applauded him for taking the road less travelled (standing up for what he believed in).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  9. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    for the record:

    all bushies back 1 million generations attended Yale undergrad -- he was a LEGACY.

    When he managed to get into Harvard Bus. Skool it was at least partially as an excuse to demand to be excused from the aprox. 1-2 years he had left to serve in his National Guard commitment.

    (Parenthically, I've never understood how patriotic conservative veterans who have themselves been willing to risk their body and soul to the bullets of our enemies -- have without a second thought supported the generalship of a man who ducked out of Vietnam, whose VP did the same, whose leader like Wolfowitz the same, soon to be jailed Libby and Rove, the same...)
    I can speak for at least one veteran. I know how the military system works, I know the difference in serving in the Guard, and active, the difference in medals that are self nominated and those your subordinates provide detailed information up the chain to see the great leaders recognized. I know that as soon as you get 3 purple hearts you are out of the hostile country, as well as a pilot in the guard may very well be sent into action or may never be called up, depends on the unit assigned not the person. One of the reasosns I did not vote for Kerry was because the military service record he spouted did not match what one would expect and the official records did not support his story (I admit the records did not have enough evidence to remove the medals but still ??)
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    One of the reasosns I did not vote for Kerry was because the military service record he spouted did not match what one would expect and the official records did not support his story (I admit the records did not have enough evidence to remove the medals but still ??)
    Remove the medals? I don't think you are accidently given the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts.

    The medals story and its inconsistancies...they were overshadowed for me because he went. Why he went and whether he supported the action after the fact were irrelevant to me. He requested to go. That is more than I can say for other people who have challenged his patriotism. (This is not meant as a dig on anyone...just what I think is a fair observation.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Remove the medals? I don't think you are accidently given the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts.

    The medals story and its inconsistancies...they were overshadowed for me because he went. Why he went and whether he supported the action after the fact were irrelevant to me. He requested to go. That is more than I can say for other people who have challenged his patriotism. (This is not meant as a dig on anyone...just what I think is a fair observation.)
    If medals were awarded under false pretense, fraudulant documentation and a host of other reasons they can be removed from record. It is not uncommon see
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...astingtime.TMP

    I have stated in other threads that I salute his sevice to our country the same as I do every individual that served in any branch active, reserve or guard. In no means will I discredit his service, just stated one of the reasons I did not vote for him.
  12. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Bush couldn’t spell nominate, better check with the boss.
    He confused Rosa Parks with a place in Spain. Don't expect too much from him.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    If medals were awarded under false pretense, fraudulant documentation and a host of other reasons they can be removed from record. It is not uncommon see
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...astingtime.TMP
    I am not saying that they can't be removed but rather that it is hard to get all the medals that he earned by embellishing stories. First off, if he did not earn one or all of them, then the commanding officer above him that submitted his recommendation to receive the medal would be implicated. As would the commanding officer above him. I have never seen any testimony from any of his commanding officers that he ever served for that he did not deserve the medals. And being in the service, you know that a Silver Star is big deal...not something that easily gets approved.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I have stated in other threads that I salute his sevice to our country the same as I do every individual that served in any branch active, reserve or guard. In no means will I discredit his service, just stated one of the reasons I did not vote for him.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  14. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am not saying that they can't be removed but rather that it is hard to get all the medals that he earned by embellishing stories. First off, if he did not earn one or all of them, then the commanding officer above him that submitted his recommendation to receive the medal would be implicated. As would the commanding officer above him. I have never seen any testimony from any of his commanding officers that he ever served for that he did not deserve the medals. And being in the service, you know that a Silver Star is big deal...not something that easily gets approved.

    I won't drag him and his medals through the mud again. I did some research and decided not to vote for him.
  15. #35  
    An informed voter...cant go wrong there.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions