1.    #1  
    Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies

Monday, October 24, 2005 10:53:51 PM ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - Rosa Parks, the black seamstress whose refusal to give her seat on a Montgomery, Alabama, bus to a white man sparked a revolution in American race relations, died on Monday at age 92.

Shirley Kaigler, Parks' lawyer, said she died while taking a nap early on Monday evening surrounded by a small group of friends and family members.

"She just fell asleep and didn't wake up," Kaigler said.

The cause of death was not immediately known. Parks had fought a long battle with dementia.

Kaigler said Parks was at home in an apartment complex overlooking the Detroit River and the border with Ontario, Canada, when she died.

--------------
    -Peace be still Rosa Parks, job well done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    She was quite a woman. It is my understanding that Martin L. King became the de facto leader of the civil rights movement in large part because of his fight on behalf of Rosa Parks.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Link

Rosa Parks to lie in honor in Capitol

Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 07:40 JST
    WASHINGTON The late Rosa Parks, hailed as the "mother of the civil rights movement," will lie in honor in the U.S. Capitol in a rare tribute for a private American citizen and the first such honor for a woman.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Thanks T2gungho, I found the details for the story.

By JIM ABRAMS Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON Oct 29, 2005 In death, Rosa Parks is joining a select few, including presidents and war heroes, accorded a public viewing in the Capitol Rotunda. It's the place where, six years ago, President Clinton and congressional leaders lauded the former seamstress for a simple act of defiance that changed the course of race relations.

The House agreed by voice vote Friday that the body of Parks will lie in honor in the Rotunda on Sunday and Monday "so that the citizens of the United States may pay their last respects to this great American." The Senate approved the resolution Thursday night.

Congress has authorized this rite only 29 times since homage was paid to Henry Clay in 1852. Those honored include Abraham Lincoln, Gen. John Pershing, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey and unknown soldiers from the world wars, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The most recent was President Reagan in June last year.

Parks is one of the few not to be a government official or a member of the military. In 1909 Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the architect who designed Washington, D.C., was commemorated 84 years after his death. In 1998 two Capitol Police officers slain in the line of duty lay in the ornate room 180 feet below the Capitol dome.

Parks, arrested in 1955 after refusing to give up her bus seat to a white man in Montgomery, Ala., turned to her minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King, for aid. King in turn led a 381-day boycott of the city's bus system that helped initiate the modern civil rights movement.

"This brave, courageous spirit ignited a movement, not just in Montgomery, but a movement that spread like wildfire across the American South and the nation," said Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., a leader of the civil rights movement in the 1960s.
    -----------------------
    On a personal note, I normally do not like large gatherings, esp. in DC, but being a MD resident we make take the kids there to witness history in the making!

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    what a great woman of courage. i was very involved in the civil rights movement in the 1960's. rosa was a great inspiration.
    morris stalk
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie
    what a great woman of courage. i was very involved in the civil rights movement in the 1960's. rosa was a great inspiration.
    Morrie, that is awesome!

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    my father flew in from long beach, ca. with the rabbi from his temple to selma, ala. to march with martin. i wanted to go also but my mother did not want to risk losing both of us. it was an amazing experience for my dad, he would relive the positve experience until his death.
    morris stalk
  8.    #8  

We took the kids to downtown WDC to pay our respects to Rosa Parks. She lies in repose at the Capitol in the Rotunda this evening and Monday morning.

The energy and atmosphere was just awesome! Being around the of thousands of people there from all walks of life from both near and far, there to say good-bye was a once in a life time experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 10/31/2005 at 01:14 PM.

GeekyMom: your link isn't right. I did copy and paste url and looked at the picture. Very cool!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Edit: NM you have to register to visit the site.
    What I have always found truly amazing and inspiring, are those moments where an action of a single person that took less than a minute to perform....changed history forever. And obviously in this historic moment, it was certainly a change that would positively effect every generation for as long as this country still stands.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    GeekyMom: your link isn't right. I did copy and paste url and looked at the picture. Very cool!
    Thanks, I had the code out of order. Thank you Herberman for the help!