Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I'm confused about how the tuners work. Right now I have analog cable TV so all I can relate to is how analog works. And Comcast has recently started scrambling even a lot of non-premium channels so that my cable ready TV can't even watch some of them now. So for those channels I have to run the signal through their rented converter box first to watch it on TV.
    I guess that's why I haven't seen TV's with digital tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I also have no experience with Digital cable, how does that work?...
    My brother has digital cable with Time Warner. It's similar to your converter box setup, except that his box processes digiital signals. As for the experience, I like the interactive program guide. I like the on-demand features as well, but I don't think it warrants a monthly subscription. That's one more reason why I built a media pc for my brother.

Currently, this pc acts as a pvr as well as a media server, where I can either download or stream pre-recorded shows, wherever I am, as long as I have a broadband connection.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Now I just have to find a retail store that sells it, so I can return it if I can't get it to work.
    eBay is your friend. Also, check my buddies store. PC Alchemy. This store should have what you are looking for.

I haven't seen TV's with a built-in digital tuner. The closest thing I saw was a showcase of a CATV (digital??) tuner card in PCI format.
    I can't really help you here, but I would go search around on AVSforum.com in the HTPC section. You should find all the answers you are looking for.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    eBay is your friend. Also, check my buddies store. PC Alchemy. This store should have what you are looking for.

I can't really help you here, but I would go search around on AVSforum.com in the HTPC section. You should find all the answers you are looking for.
    Thx. Those are great links. I'm going to lurk there for a while.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Thx. Those are great links. I'm going to lurk there for a while.
    Good luck. AVSForum has some really, really smart people there. Helpful too.
    MCE2005 is great. Your best source for info is thegreenbutton.com.

I built one out of a $300 eMachines box by adding some stuff.

I can vouche for the Hauppauge 500 MCE Dual Tuner card; which I use along with a nVidia GeForce 5700 (256 meg) video card.

I also have it connected to my first gen xBox as a media extender in the familiy room (piped to my 60" rear projection tv).

It is fantastic. I quickly added a 250 gig harddrive just for stored video.

Nothing wrong with Tivos, I have 3 of those as well, but the MCE is the way to go.
    Last edited by delta_baggage; 10/27/2005 at 09:20 AM. Reason: correct a typo
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage

I can vouche for the Hauppauge 500 MCE Dual Tuner card; which I use along with a nVidia GeForce 5700 (256 meg) video card.

I also have it connected to my first gen xBox as a media extender in the familiy room (piped to my 60" rear projection tv).

Nothing wrong with Tivos, I have 3 of those as well, but the MCE is the way to go.
    Thx. I'll check out your link, too. Among other things, I came across a link to what looks like a preview of MCE under Windows Vista. Check it out.

Windows Vista MCE Preview
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage

I did a little searching online and couldn't find a way to purchase MCE to install myself - only to buy prebuilt machines. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks!

Nevermind...I found it at PC Alchemy!
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 12/05/2005 at 07:07 PM.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Thanks, Bigred.
    If I were to order from PC Alchemy I would be required to purchase some hardware also (b/c it's OEM software, they say).
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  10.    #30  
    I found a bunch on shopping.yahoo. Some say if you buy the remote with it then it qualifies as new hardware.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...er&did=&view=l
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12