This op piece by Richard Cohen's appeared in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101901974.html

I am most assuredly pro choice. I encourage people to choose life. I do not agree with Mr. Cohen's perspective but, I appreciated these two characterizations in particular.

Paragraph 2:
I would do things a bit differently now. I would give the matter much more thought. I no longer see abortion as directly related to sexual freedom or feminism, and I no longer see it strictly as a matter of personal privacy, either. It entails questions about life -- maybe more so at the end of the process than at the beginning, but life nonetheless.
Final paragraph:
For liberals, the trick is to untether abortion rights from Roe . The former can stand even if the latter falls. The difficulty of doing this is obvious. Roe has become so encrusted with precedent that not even the White House will say how Harriet Miers would vote on it, even though she is rigorously antiabortion and politically conservative. Still, a bad decision is a bad decision. If the best we can say for it is that the end justifies the means, then we have not only lost the argument -- but a bit of our soul as well.