Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I doubt W is really worried that God is angry with his leadership and that our country is being punished for his actions. Jeez, what drivel.

I guess those tens of thousands of people dying in the Kashmir mountains are mostly Christian....
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    phurth, that absolute domination, that total control is what makes this "message" so unambiguous.

Its very hard to blame liberals for all that's gone wrong when one party decides everything --
    So last year's tsunami, the bird flu, famine and genocide in the Sudan (on CLINTON's watch, by the way), various hurricanes and earthquakes are the Republican's fault? Moonbatism of the first order.
    One of the reasons that I believe that the righties are so angry that junior didn't choose a qualified competent nominee to the Supremes is that they know that this is their last chance.
    No - they're (we're) angry because she is not qualified. Bush promised to nominate "Scalia-type" justices. Whatever you think of Scalia, she ain't it.
    Intuitively they realize that the country will hold them responsible for the state our world and our country is in. The 2006 elections look to be bad for the repugs -- perhaps even the democrats can beat them.
    Not so long as Democrats are perceived as a bunch of nuts who care only about hating Bush rather than other "minor" things like securing the nations, etc... Given a choice between the present leadership and the complete flakiness the left has to offer, I'm confident the Republicans won't see serious electoral setbacks anytime soon.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    So last year's tsunami, the bird flu, famine and genocide in the Sudan (on CLINTON's watch, by the way), various hurricanes and earthquakes are the Republican's fault? Moonbatism of the first order. No - they're (we're) angry because she is not qualified. Bush promised to nominate "Scalia-type" justices. Whatever you think of Scalia, she ain't it.Not so long as Democrats are perceived as a bunch of nuts who care only about hating Bush rather than other "minor" things like securing the nations, etc... Given a choice between the present leadership and the complete flakiness the left has to offer, I'm confident the Republicans won't see serious electoral setbacks anytime soon.

The Sudanese horror to which I'm referring is the contemporary genocide happening now as we write, in Darfur. (much much worse then the earlier savagery against the southern Sudan -- where the insurgent forces there were at least armed...)

Its an understandable but misleading tactic to represent what I said as directly blaming junior and his toadies for the calamities of our time.

Surely some have become worse because of him and those toadies (New Orleans of course). Some -- like the melting of the Polar ice caps, and the disappearance of glaciers are partly his responsibility. And the hurricane cycle has probably been worsened by even the tiny changes in the ocean's temperature that the globe's warming has effected.

But that minutiae misses my point:

can religious true believers completely dismiss the confluence of calamity that has come upon a new millenium as the most forcefully evangelistic president in history took power ??

Can all this calamity -- taking place so soon after his reelection, be entirely dismissed as coincidence by people who say that God empowered them to win that election, or saved their house from a mud slide, or helped them make that winning field goal ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/20/2005 at 02:09 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I bet BARYE is chuckling at the response here.

He is satirizing the TV-evangelists who are invoking the wrath of God to justify their support for right-wing ploitics. So, when things don't work out and the right-wingers are in control ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Surely some have become worse because of him and those toadies (New Orleans of course).
    I'm directly affected by this disaster and it is a wide consensus here that it was Blanco's and Nagin's ultimate fault. Louisiana should have stepped up to the plate BEFORE the federal government got involved.

Some -- like the melting of the Polar ice caps, and the disappearance of glaciers are partly his responsibility. And the hurricane cycle has probably been worsened by even the tiny changes in the ocean's temperature that the globe's warming has effected.
    Yeah, all of the centuries of build up to global warming has been caused by Bush Jr. Good lord, man!

can religious true believers completely dismiss the confluence of calamity that has come upon a new millenium as the most forcefully evangelistic president in history took power ??

Can all this calamity -- taking place so soon after his reelection, be entirely dismissed as coincidence by people who say that God empowered them to win that election, or saved their house from a mud slide, or helped them make that winning field goal ??
    Ummmmm.....yes? You know that there have been natural disasters before the year 2000, right? Come on.

My question to you is this: do you REALLY think that Republicans believe their God is punishing them?
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I bet BARYE is chuckling at the response here.

He is satirizing the TV-evangelists who are invoking the wrath of God to justify their support for right-wing ploitics. So, when things don't work out and the right-wingers are in control ....
    I see. So BARYE's satire is subtle and only has the appearance of lunacy. Had me fooled - good one!
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    My question to you is this: do you REALLY think that Republicans believe their God is punishing them?
    You are quite right -- I doubt that many do.

But I want them to -- and if I were them, if I had their beliefs, had I thought that God could speak to me, that there were signs of HIS hand everywhere if I only was sufficiently righteous to understand it -- I would.

I would see all that has happened since that reelection and be VERY unsure of the righteousness of my path.

For people who see "signs" (of Mary) in a random oil stain on a store's window, how can this catastophic confluence and its timing not be seen to be a "sign" ??

Why are not the devout reappraising their path ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I see. So BARYE's satire is subtle and only has the appearance of lunacy. Had me fooled - good one!
    Much of what televangelists say, in earnest, sounds like lunacy to me ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    You are quite right -- I doubt that many do.

But I want them to -- and if I were them, if I had their beliefs, had I thought that God could speak to me, that there were signs of HIS hand everywhere if I only was sufficiently righteous to understand it -- I would.

I would see all that has happened since that reelection and be VERY unsure of the righteousness of my path.

For people who see "signs" (of Mary) in a random oil stain on a store's window, how can this catastophic confluence and its timing not be seen to be a "sign" ??

Why are not the devout reappraising their path ??
    You paint Christians with a very broad brush indeed. And you seem to have a very simple-minded view of faith (oh the irony - since you seem to feel the faithful are so simple-minded). Is it really worth dissecting the above-quoted litany of generalizations and prejudices?

Perhaps, having realized God is indeed not on their side, they should throw their support behind Ted Kennedy and all the others who don't even kind of represent their ideas???

You just don't seem to get it - most conservatives support conservative politicians because they advance conservative ideas - not 'cause God told 'em to.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Much of what televangelists say, in earnest, sounds like lunacy to me ...
    Because a lot of it is. I'm not here defending televangelists.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12