Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech Harmony remotes, specifically, the 880? I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my laptop-like Sony AV2000 and get rid of my remote clutter. Has anyone used one of these or it's less-expensive cousins?

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...S/EN,CRID=2078
    I'm back!
  2. #2  
    I have an 880 and love it. I have had it for 4-5 mos now.
  3.    #3  
    Was it worth the money? How well does it work in the dark, I've read complaints about the blue backlight. Does it work well with all your components? What is your current setup?
    I'm back!
  4. #4  
    Hahaha! I bought an 880 to replace my Sony Commander as well....and I took back the 880 for 2 reasons:
    1) The 880 seems to make simple tasks much more complex than they need to be.2
    2) The IR beam it shoots is too narrow. I have a TV to the left, a fireplace in the middle, and stereo/theater equipment to the right. With the Sony, I can point the remote at any of the above, and the beam is wide enough to operate any of the equipment. With the Logitech, if the remote wasn't pointed directly at the device it didn't work properly. THIS was the biggest issue for me, because it rendered all the cool scripts that the logitech does completely useless.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Hahaha! I bought an 880 to replace my Sony Commander as well....and I took back the 880 for 2 reasons:
    1) The 880 seems to make simple tasks much more complex than they need to be.2
    2) The IR beam it shoots is too narrow. I have a TV to the left, a fireplace in the middle, and stereo/theater equipment to the right. With the Sony, I can point the remote at any of the above, and the beam is wide enough to operate any of the equipment. With the Logitech, if the remote wasn't pointed directly at the device it didn't work properly. THIS was the biggest issue for me, because it rendered all the cool scripts that the logitech does completely useless.
    Gotcha. I can dig your first point, but the second isn't a problem for me as my TV is in the middle and my DirecTV TiVo, AV Receiver, and DVD player are on a rack to the right of the TV.

    I have gotten spoiled by RF remotes and will find it hard to go back to an IR remote though.
    I'm back!
  6. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #6  
    I've got the 659 and it worth every penny. My suggestion is to get it.

    You can read more about peoples uses at AVSForum.com or meddio.com.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I've got the 659 and it worth every penny. My suggestion is to get it.

    You can read more about peoples uses at AVSForum.com or meddio.com.
    Yes, but the question is, is the 880 worth the markup over the 659?
    I'm back!
  8. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #8  
    I would check out those forums I listed and listen to what they have to say. My 659 does everything I could want it to, and I couldn't see what other features would be worth more money.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would check out those forums I listed and listen to what they have to say. My 659 does everything I could want it to, and I couldn't see what other features would be worth more money.
    Since we are all geeks here, I'm sure you can see how the color LCD would be way appealing...

    I'll check them out now. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm back!
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Since we are all geeks here, I'm sure you can see how the color LCD would be way appealing...

    I'll check them out now. Thanks for the advice.
    No Prob. Color Screen would be nice but to me it might be overkill for me and my uses.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    No Prob. Color Screen would be nice but to me it might be overkill for me and my uses.
    I can't see how that could be possible.

    I checked out AVSForum.com...wow, those people are hardcore about their remotes. They make this place look like an amateur shop. They're over there discussing the pros and cons of $800 remotes. And I thought the 880 was expensive.
    I'm back!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Was it worth the money? How well does it work in the dark, I've read complaints about the blue backlight. Does it work well with all your components? What is your current setup?
    I upgraded from the 659..for color, DVR functions and I love the clock in the 880, so you see the time easily in a darken home theater. Works great in the dark...I have a Denon receiver, Denon 2900, Adelphia DVR, and Eyehome to a 65' Mits TV. .I even have it programmed for iTunes. It works for me!!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleNickle
    I upgraded from the 659..for color, DVR functions and I love the clock in the 880, so you see the time easily in a darken home theater. Works great in the dark...I have a Denon receiver, Denon 2900, Adelphia DVR, and Eyehome to a 65' Mits TV. .I even have it programmed for iTunes. It works for me!!
    That sounds like a similar setup to what I'll have. I have a Mits 55", DirecTV HDTV receiver with TiVo, and Sony AV receiver and DVD player.

    I think I'll have to jump on the 880.
    I'm back!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    That sounds like a similar setup to what I'll have. I have a Mits 55", DirecTV HDTV receiver with TiVo, and Sony AV receiver and DVD player.

    I think I'll have to jump on the 880.
    Youu can't go wrong..IMO...
  15. #15  
    I got the 659 and it works great with my 47" HD Samsung, Harmon Kardan AV Receiver, HD 942 DVR and Sony DVD Player. I say go for it.
  16. #16  
    We have the 659...simple, yet powerful. It accomplishes everything we need (myself, spouse, and 8 year old boy) with the following equip:

    30" Panasonic CT-30WX54 HDTV
    Pioneer HTD-540DV HTIB
    SA 8000HD Explorer HDVR
    Panasonic DMR-E75V VHS/DVD Recorder

    I got it on eBay for $70.00 early summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  17. #17  
    I've got the 659 and I love it. I been able to map all my Tivo buttons on it and wouldn't see the need for extra hard buttons. It's something I can tweak almost as much as my Treo
  18. #18  
    I feel compelled to interject an unpopular, controverial, and quite possibly ungermane point.

    I've read this entire thread, and in all the systems that people have listed, I have not seen any HTPC's used as TIVOs -- or even those using a video projector for their home theater.

    A multituner HTPC (including an ATI HDTV tuner) running MCE, projected 10' wide makes for a very lovely place to chew highly salted popcorn ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/18/2005 at 12:30 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  19. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I feel compelled to interject an unpopular, controverial, and quite possibly ungermane point.

    I've read this entire thread, and in all the systems that people have listed, I have not seen any HTPC's used as TIVOs -- or even those using a video projector for their home theater.

    A multituner HTPC (including an ATI HDTV tuner) running MCE, projected 10' wide makes for a very lovely place to chew highly salted popcorn ...
    My Harmony remote is setup to control my HTPC. I don't use the HTPC as a TiVo because my cable company already has HDTV DVR. Plus I did not want to spread the cash to get the ATI HDTV Wonder, that at best looks half as good as the DVR that is supplied from the cable company.
  20. #20  
    or even those using a video projector for their home theater.
    My father-in-law has a VCR hooked up to a video projector - great setup even though his technology is a bit out dated. Tricky part is that you have to have a room that will allow you to get the screen that big.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions