Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    My Harmony remote is setup to control my HTPC. I don't use the HTPC as a TiVo because my cable company already has HDTV DVR. Plus I did not want to spread the cash to get the ATI HDTV Wonder, that at best looks half as good as the DVR that is supplied from the cable company.
    From what I've heard from a couple of people who are trying out HTPC with HDTV, it's not quite there yet. Maybe soon, but it's just not worth the time and effort right now. I have a Treo if I feel like fighting with a $600 device. I want my TV to work.

I thought about doing it, but it would cost what, a minimum of $800 to $1000 for a decent HDTV HTPC, and I just got the DirecTV HDTV with TiVo for $199 after a rebate. That's a tough deal to turn down.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    My father-in-law has a VCR hooked up to a video projector - great setup even though his technology is a bit out dated. Tricky part is that you have to have a room that will allow you to get the screen that big.
    My wall is about 12-13 feet from the front of the lens of the InFocus SP4805 projector (which is hidden behind an adjacent wall, projecting through a 2" x 3" square hole).

The feel is truly of a theater.

Movies are immersive like this -- and though I don't watch a lot of tv, seeing LOST and the NFL in HiDef is quite cool.

Its a very different experience than seeing things on a LCD or plasma...

Unless you have a friend with a properly tweaked setup, you won't know what its like because the normal Best Buys etc. aren't equipped to demo them appropriately.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    From what I've heard from a couple of people who are trying out HTPC with HDTV, it's not quite there yet. Maybe soon, but it's just not worth the time and effort right now. I have a Treo if I feel like fighting with a $600 device. I want my TV to work.

I thought about doing it, but it would cost what, a minimum of $800 to $1000 for a decent HDTV HTPC, and I just got the DirecTV HDTV with TiVo for $199 after a rebate. That's a tough deal to turn down.
    oh I could have gone the simpler cheaper route -- but I was too "smart" for that.

In retrospect getting a cable company HD DVR would have been easier, and less expensive too. (for most folks its probably the rational route.)

It is a bit of a hassle to get the ATI HDTV running properly in XP -- but it works much better with MCE (I just recently got a new HTPC PC whose OS is MCE).

My own requirements are somewhat different from most, in as much as I record/watch a lot of news. I need my DVRs to be able to play back material at 2X speed with comprehensible audio. Maybe there are commercially available DVRs that have that feature -- I just don't know of them.

As to the original topic of remotes -- I bought a noviiRemote Blaster from TreoCentral based on the enthusiastic review by one of our fearless mods, to use with my 650.

Though its kinda cool to whip out your Treo to control the universe (and its pretty cheap) -- the bloody thing has some annoying deficiencies (though big potential if they write better software for it).
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/18/2005 at 01:25 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    oh I could have gone the simpler cheaper route -- but I was too "smart" for that.

In retrospect getting a cable company HD DVR would have been easier, and less expensive too. (for most folks its probably the rational route.)

It is a bit of a hassle to get the ATI HDTV running properly in XP -- but it works much better with MCE (I just recently got a new HTPC PC whose OS is MCE).

My own requirements are somewhat different from most, in as much as I record/watch a lot of news. I need my DVRs to be able to play back material at 2X speed with comprehensible audio. Maybe there are commercially available DVRs that have that feature -- I just don't know of them.

As to the original topic of remotes -- I bought a noviiRemote Blaster from TreoCentral based on the enthusiastic review by one of our fearless mods, to use with my 650.

Though its kinda cool to whip out your Treo to control the universe (and its pretty cheap) -- the bloody thing has some annoying deficiencies (though big potential if they write better software for it).
    I've heard that HTPC with MCE is hard enough, I wouldn't even bother with XP Pro. I have heard that MCE 2005 is leaps and bounds better than it's predecessor though. At any rate, my box takes care of it for me, and at a fraction of the cost. I get 250 hours of SD programming or 30 hours of HD programming on it, so I'm good with that. If I want to hit the Internet from my chair, I can pull the laptop, Treo, or PSP on over.

And I have enough trouble with my Treo, I can't imagine trying to turn it into a remote as well. It doesn't always work as a phone when I want it to.
    I'm back!
    don't use the HTPC as a TiVo because my cable company already has HDTV DVR. Plus I did not want to spread the cash to get the ATI HDTV Wonder, that at best looks half as good as the DVR that is supplied from the cable company.
    I have a HD DirectTivo, the Cable HD DVR, and the ATI All in Wonder. The Tivo is used ten times more than the other two choices. I rarely want to archive HD recordings, but the ATI and the cablebox allow me to do that. Anyway, you need a massive amount of space to archive HD onto a computer. A typical movie can hold over 13GB of data. If you want to compress it with some loss of picture quality, be prepared for a night of running a program nonstop. I do have a product by IO Data (Linkplayer) that can play back those recordings from a NAS or computer, but I need a lot more space to archive very much HD material. You can read more about my setup here if you are interested.

Anyway, I am looking to get one of the 880 remotes because I like the colored screen and I have heard they are very easy to setup. I have a Home Theater MX-700 that can do everything I want for right now.
    I bought the 676 a couple of days ago and it is great. My home entertainment center is a relatively cheap Insignia and I could not find a code for the Tivo remote that would operate it. So, I bought the 676 and love it. It feels almost like the Tivo remote I am used to, plus, now I have numerous buttons set up to do what I want them to do. They are expensive for a remote, but, not having 4 remotes sitting there to watch TV is great. Plus, one touch of a button turns everything on and off.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12