Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hehe... yeah I know it's a provacative title. But this is really wierd:

In other reports, when it comes time for the actress to give birth in several months, it has been suggested that Holmes will attempt a silent labor in keeping with Scientology tradition.

The practice encourages mothers to be to forgo painkillers and to refrain from screaming or even talking as they bring their children into the world. Scientologists believe that the silence reduces trauma during birth and prevents irrational fears later in life.

Holmes and Cruise have not commented on how they plan to bring their offspring into the world. However, we're thinking Cruise better start practicing his silent couch-jumping routine, just in case.
    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yup, those scientologists sure are strange, but all of the other religious folk out there are normal. Right???
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    Yup, those scientologists sure are strange, but all of the other religious folk out there are normal. Right???
    Yeah, but some are stranger than others...

In Scientology doctrine, Xenu is a galactic ruler who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to cause people problems today. These events are known to Scientologists as "Incident II", and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant. The story of Xenu is part of a much wider range of Scientology beliefs in extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in Earthly events, collectively described as space opera by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, famously warning that R6 was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia etc) anyone who attempts to solve it." The Xenu story was the start of the use of the volcano as a common symbol of Scientology and Dianetics from 1968 to the present day.

Much of the criticism of the Church of Scientology focuses on the story of Xenu. The Church has tried to keep Xenu confidential; critics claim revealing the story is in the public interest, given the high prices charged for OT III. The Church avoids making mention of Xenu in public statements and has gone to considerable effort to maintain the story's confidentiality, including legal action on the grounds of both copyright and trade secrecy. Despite this, much material on Xenu has leaked to the public.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

It interesting how quick you are to equivicate all religions, cults and belief systems as one...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What would happen right now if suddenly every born again Christian around the world vanished from the face of the earth?

http://www.christiannewstoday.com/Bi...hecyNews6.html

This is definitely NOT weird.

gfunk, this is going to be a fun thread. Thanks for starting it!
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    "The practice encourages mothers to be to forgo painkillers and to refrain from screaming or even talking as they bring their children into the world. Scientologists believe that the silence reduces trauma during birth and prevents irrational fears later in life."

Ha, this is indeed possible with the help of an epidural!

I've seen plenty of the strongest, most determined of women who "want to do it natural" but when those pains hit them hard enough, long enough go "give me something....NOW" -LOL

No seriously, some people do have a higher threshhold for pain. I"m just not one of them.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Not even talk? Oh puh-leeze...
    Sounds like a good way for my wife to give birth of a child. That way, my wife won't bother me while I am in the same room during her labor and I am watching the game on TV.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Sounds like a good way for my wife to give birth of a child. That way, my wife won't bother me while I am in the same room during her labor and I am watching the game on TV.
    Wife? What's that?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    The rapture is going to strike without warning.
    The rapture is going to happen suddenly.
    The rapture is going to be one of the most astonishing events to ever occur.

http://www.raptureready.com/index.html

If I am not mistaken, our fearless commander-in-chief subscribes to this very unweird (non-cult) belief system.
    The rapture is going to strike without warning.
    The rapture is going to happen suddenly.
    The rapture is going to be one of the most astonishing events to ever occur.

http://www.raptureready.com/index.html

If I am not mistaken, our fearless commander-in-chief subscribes to this very unweird (non-cult) belief system.
    So much hate, so little time...

2000 year-old teachings are equivalent to something some nut came up with in the 60's? Riiiight...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Incorrect. I don't hate anyone. Quite the opposite. You missed my point, in that what is "normal" to one believer, may seem odd to another. Something about a black pot and kettle.
    Incorrect. I don't hate anyone. Quite the opposite. You missed my point, in that what is "normal" to one believer, may seem odd to another. Something about a black pot and kettle.
    I see you don't have malicious intent - but those who put their trust in 2000 years of tradition might resent being lumped in with those who buy into a belief system invented in the 60's. There is a rich debate within Christianity about pre- versus post-millenarianism. Neither side are "cultists" or "weird".
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted By: phurth at Today 05:38 PM

There is a rich debate within Christianity about pre- versus post-millenarianism. Neither side are "cultists" or "weird".

Ok, if you say so.
    Ok, if you say so.
    Uh, yeah. I do.
    Then it must be so. Rapture.......definitely not weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I see you don't have malicious intent - but those who put their trust in 2000 years of tradition might resent being lumped in with those who buy into a belief system invented in the 60's. There is a rich debate within Christianity about pre- versus post-millenarianism. Neither side are "cultists" or "weird".
    I wouldn't say malicious, but a pretty immature attitude towards religion and religious people, from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Insertion; 10/15/2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: mie speeling suxs
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Then it must be so. Rapture.......definitely not weird.
    Literally speaking, the rapture would be weird. The event would obviously be something out of the ordinary.

My objection is to your characterization of Christians who believe in it as "weird" and the comparison you made to Scientologists - a comparison that is absurd on its face. You've changed the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Literally speaking, the rapture would be weird. The event would obviously be something out of the ordinary.

My objection is to your characterization of Christians who believe in it as "weird" and the comparison you made to Scientologists - a comparison that is absurd on its face. You've changed the subject.
    To an atheist, both are equally absurd.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    To an atheist, both are equally absurd.
    Which is one of the many reasons I am not an atheist.

If someone can't see the distinction between people who believe in something based on two millenia of tradition and biblical scholarship and people who believe in something because a Sci-Fi writer said it in the 60's... well frankly that's a bit weird.
    It is all weird. However, I don't believe in trying to make anyone else believe in what I believe in. Each person decides to believe in whatever he/she decides to believe in.

So, to each his own....

But I repeat: To me, Rapture (the way I understand it.. which is very limited.. people getting sucked out of their clothes to acsend into "heaven") is as absurd (and as unlikely) as aliens hovering behind a gigantic cloud and whatever else Scientologists believe in.

I will change my opinion if I see any evidence for either belief....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast