Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Headline from The Guardian Unlimited:

Breaking America's grip on the net - After troubled negotiations in Geneva, the US may be forced to relinquish control of the internet to a coalition of governments

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/wee...585288,00.html

I say Al Gore and others in the U.S. created the internet, fair and square. If the rest of the world wants it, they should invent their own.

Seriously, it concerns me that a foreign government might be able to take some malicious action which could block U.S. users from internet traffic. This could cause significant harm to America's economy and security.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by After troubled negotiations in Geneva, the US may be [B
    forced[/B] to relinquish control of the internet to a coalition of governments
    aint never gonna happen
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    aint never gonna happen
    I suspect it's only a matter of time.
    If we get Clinton 2 in office, I suspect that Shopharim is right.

And a darkness will fall...
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    If we get Clinton 2 in office, I suspect that Shopharim is right.

And a darkness will fall...
    What is this supposed to mean 1911?
  6.    #6  
    If control of the internet is a security issue, the U.S. should be willing to take whatever action is necessary to retain control.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    If control of the internet is a security issue, the U.S. should be willing to take whatever action is necessary to retain control.
    Our security is not inherently compromised by someone else governing the Internet....at least no moreso than other nations' security is compromised by our being in control.

if you look at the trend, more and more influence, if not authority, is being vested in "world" bodies. Even our Supreme Court has begin referencing international law.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    What is this supposed to mean 1911?
    Bill was always going on about how we "need to get along with these people."
    Hillary would be no different. The UN will control the internet...and start taxing it. Good luck getting a website up...especially if it espouses something other than the UN sanctioned line.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Our security is not inherently compromised by someone else governing the Internet....at least no moreso than other nations' security is compromised by our being in control.

if you look at the trend, more and more influence, if not authority, is being vested in "world" bodies. Even our Supreme Court has begin referencing international law.
    Yes, that is very true. And we have the Kehoe decision as a result.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Bill was always going on about how we "need to get along with these people."
    Hillary would be no different. The UN will control the internet...and start taxing it. Good luck getting a website up...especially if it espouses something other than the UN sanctioned line.
    I feel that is just speculation on your part. I would think a good solution would be for the US to retain it's internet then show these other countries how to do it, then network them together. they could have there own domain such as www2, www3, so on. And yes there is a world out there we must get along with.
    We need to get Al Gore to weigh in on this. I mean we should have the "inventor's" input.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I feel that is just speculation on your part. I would think a good solution would be for the US to retain it's internet then show these other countries how to do it, then network them together. they could have there own domain such as www2, www3, so on. And yes there is a world out there we must get along with.
    Oh, yeah...I want China and the Sudan to have a say in the WWW. North Korea should definitely have a vote, too.

Speculation? Look at Maddy Notbright and the rest of the loons that flocked into that administration. For God's sake, the woman laments that we are the lone superpower! That we are not under threat of instant and immediate annihilation is a bad thing in her world view.
  13.    #13  
    I don't know how the internet works, exactly. (OK, not at all) Is it possible for the top-level domain controller to destroy the addresses, thereby causing world-wide network failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    We need to get Al Gore to weigh in on this. I mean we should have the "inventor's" input.
    Hey....

If that ***** E Gore, OOOPS, I mean Al Gore invented the Internet, I say turn it over to whomever wants it. We can start over and maybe Blazer will work better........

Al Gore is a well designed figmentation of his own mind....

A poster child of mental illness.....

A mind that was cleverly wasted.....

The primary reason the Country is going backwards.....Well Al Gore and his brother Michael Moore.....

Chuck
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Oh, yeah...I want China and the Sudan to have a say in the WWW. North Korea should definitely have a vote, too.
    I did NOT say that re-read the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I don't know how the internet works, exactly. (OK, not at all) Is it possible for the top-level domain controller to destroy the addresses, thereby causing world-wide network failure?
    Pretty much. It's like a big mail sorting system. When you put in a URL (http://www.....), that information request first goes to a translator that looks up that alias to find the IP address it represents. It then routes your request for the web page to the server to which that IP address is assigned.

If that index of IP addresses and their aliases was corrupted or disabled, your requests for web pages would go unanswered.
    I did NOT say that re-read the post.
    You want to get along with those people. Well, those people are the people you want to get along with.
    If the internet is not confined to the USA then why should the control of it be confined to the USA?
    Animo et Fide
    Oh, and by the way, the internet might be an American invention, but the part of it that you use - the World Wide Web - is a European invention. Html language was invented by Tim Berners-Lee at Cern.
    Animo et Fide
    Yah, and Heny Ford be darned... a Canadian invented the hub cap too... eh!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast