Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all this talk about whether Harriet Miers is qualified for the hig court, I begin wondering what are the "qualifications." Much of the political and media based discussion deals with the candidate's "views." But, one's views are (should be) distinct from one's qualifications.

So, what characteristics do you think qualify a person to serve on the Supreme Court?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    With all this talk about whether Harriet Miers is qualified for the hig court, I begin wondering what are the "qualifications." Much of the political and media based discussion deals with the candidate's "views." But, one's views are (should be) distinct from one's qualifications.

So, what characteristics do you think qualify a person to serve on the Supreme Court?
    Constitutionally, there really aren't any formal qualifications laid out. Personally, I'd like to see someone who's been a judge at at least some level. I do understand, however, that there have been fine justices who have not been judges previous to their appointment.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Constitutionally, there really aren't any formal qualifications laid out. Personally, I'd like to see someone who's been a judge at at least some level.
    Why not former FEMA head Michael Brown? Wasn't he some sort of judge before FEMA?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    A pulse, apparently.
    Be a buddy of dubyas?

Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Why not former FEMA head Michael Brown? Wasn't he some sort of judge before FEMA?
    You joke, but he appears on the surface to be just as qualified as Harriet Miers. I'm not pleased with the pick.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Be a buddy of dubyas?
    U Got It!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    You joke, but he appears on the surface to be just as qualified as Harriet Miers. I'm not pleased with the pick.

I may have been licking the wrong toads, but I'm almost stunned.

Have the righties' feet begun to drag a bit on the way over the cliff ... ???
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/06/2005 at 12:48 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Be a buddy of dubyas?

junior only puts cronies in unimportant positions (like Vice-President, Attorney General, State Dept., Pentagon, FEMA head, Supreme Court ... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/06/2005 at 01:17 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

Have the righties' feet have begun to drag a bit on the way over the cliff ... ???
    Or, maybe what you are realizing is that all don't follow the party line just because it is the party line. Now, if we could get a few from the other side to follow the example......
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

Have the righties' feet have begun to drag a bit on the way over the cliff ... ???
    I heard something just like this on one of my favorite progressive radio programs this morning.

If one party (either R or D) agrees with themselves, they're reading off of talking points and walking in lockstep. No dissention allowed!
    If one party has an internal disagreement, they're coming unglued!

I hear this from both sides. No one can win here.

By the way, here is a great picture that CNN had on their front page for all of a few seconds:

It wasn't up long but just long enough to show their love for the man!
    Last edited by AlaskanDad; 10/06/2005 at 12:59 PM.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Or, maybe what you are realizing is that all don't follow the party line just because it is the party line. Now, if we could get a few from the other side to follow the example......
    you need a pulse and some friends in high places. I need some new friends lol
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Be a buddy of dubyas?

Exactly!! I'm getting soooo friggin tired of all the cronyism by Bush. It seems the only qulaification Meir has for the supreme court is her loyalty to Bush...very pathetic...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    do we really want to visit the Clinton Good 'ol Boy network of appointments, hirings, sleepovers etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    do we really want to visit the Clinton Good 'ol Boy network of appointments, hirings, sleepovers etc.
    Versus the Bush network of cronies, liars, and national security risks?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad

By the way, here is a great picture that CNN had on their front page for all of a few seconds:

<snip>

It wasn't up long but just long enough to show their love for the man!
    Printing unflattering photos of presidents and other political figures has a long history in this country, and gets done to presidents on both sides of the political spectrum. Just ask Clinton supportors, Bush the 1st supporters, Carter and Reagan supporters, etc.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ...national security risks
    Like selling nuclear secrets to China?

Also, there's a reason non-elected people who committed acts that they could be blackmailed for (like, say, adultery with an intern) don't get security clearances. It makes them national security risks.

As ttrundle said, let's not go there.
    Last edited by phurth; 10/07/2005 at 08:33 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Exactly!! I'm getting soooo friggin tired of all the cronyism by Bush. It seems the only qulaification Meir has for the supreme court is her loyalty to Bush...very pathetic...
    Unfortunately, this thread fell victim to TC's unique brand of politial humor. However, the question was and is earnest.

I don't understand by what basis you determine the nominee to be qualified or unqualified. She is a lawyer. She was the head of a state bar association. Do those not count for anything in your (and others') estimation?
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Like selling nuclear secrets to China?

Also, there's a reason non-elected people who committed acts that they could be blackmailed for (like, say, adultery with an intern) don't get security clearances. It makes them national security risks.

As ttrundle said, let's not go there.
    I really don't think any President would allow that to happen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast