Back to my love of term definition...

Crony
    Main Entry: cro·ny
    Pronunciation: 'krO-nE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural cronies
    Etymology: perhaps from Greek chronios long-lasting, from chronos time
    : a close friend especially of long standing

Should President's only nominate people they DON'T know? "I'm nominating Jim but I've never known him personally. I sure hope my folks gave me the right dope on him."

Does close friendship automatically disqualify anyone from public office? Honest question applicable to both sides of the aisle.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Back to my love of term definition...

Crony
    Main Entry: cro·ny
    Pronunciation: 'krO-nE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural cronies
    Etymology: perhaps from Greek chronios long-lasting, from chronos time
    : a close friend especially of long standing

Should President's only nominate people they DON'T know? "I'm nominating Jim but I've never known him personally. I sure hope my folks gave me the right dope on him."

Does close friendship automatically disqualify anyone from public office? Honest question applicable to both sides of the aisle.
    I don't think the word Crony is what we are talking about but more along the lines of

cro·ny·ism (krn-zm) KEY

NOUN:

Favoritism shown to old friends without regard for their qualifications, as in political appointments to office.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I don't think the word Crony is what we are talking about but more along the lines of

cro·ny·ism (krn-zm) KEY

NOUN:

Favoritism shown to old friends without regard for their qualifications, as in political appointments to office.
    Great point!

Crony is easy to see. Both sides will acknowledge it.
    Cronyism is in the eye of the beholder, huh?
    It doesn't apply if the friend is qualified. It does apply if the friend isn't qualified.

It seems that the definition is applied backwards by first determining the candidate's qualifications (best around, meets minimums, not enough) and THEN looking at personal relationships.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Like selling nuclear secrets to China?

Also, there's a reason non-elected people who committed acts that they could be blackmailed for (like, say, adultery with an intern) don't get security clearances. It makes them national security risks.

As ttrundle said, let's not go there.
    So childish.. Say anything negative about Dubby and the immediate kneejerk is "well Clinton did it too".

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    So childish.. Say anything negative about Dubby and the immediate kneejerk is "well Clinton did it too".
    Actually I was saying Clinton was far worse. Sorry for not making that clear enough for you. In the future I'll try to follow your adult example by calling Clinton names.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I really don't think any President would allow that to happen.(edit- referring to the sale of nuke secrets to China)
    I was off-base on that one. He only waived non-proliferation export restrictions on Sun supercomputers that could be used in nuclear weapons research. Not as dramatic as selling actual nuclear secrets (those were stolen under his watch, but it's not like he was the night watchman at Los Alamos), but still unsavory.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12