Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Can you say Flip-Flop, not even on principle either, caving to special interest!
    Source: Sun-Sentinel

Gov. Bush reverses stance, now supports oil drilling rigs in eastern Gulf of Mexico

By Tamara Lytle & John Kennedy
    Staff Writers
    Posted October 5 2005

Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he supports federal legislation allowing drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, including areas where he aggressively fought energy exploration just four years ago.

Bush cited new political realities and protections he thinks he could win for the state in exchange.

Environmentalists, Democrats and Republican U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida staunchly oppose the bill, which would allow oil and gas drilling 125 miles from Florida-controlled waters.

They continue to insist that a strong political front in Florida can stop all new drilling in the eastern Gulf.

"Sure they do," Bush said, deriding their position. "But that's great. I've talked to the fairy godmother about it."

-snip-

I now live on the coast directly east of where they are talking about. I grew up on the water directly east of where they are planning. All be DAMN if they will drill in my grouper fishing ground! All be DAMN if those tankers will come through my Estuary and possibly spill oil in the beautiful Tampa Bay or the white sugary beaches!!!!!! All be damn if they try and run a pipeline which could crack during a hurricane or just crack because of faulty engineering. All be damn if they try and put on those rigs which could break loose during a storm and wash up on my BEACHES! I will fight this because Florida's natural beauty is TOO MUCH to risk!!!!!! Damn I AM PISSED!!!!
    Last edited by NRG; 10/05/2005 at 11:53 AM.
    All be DAMN if we break our dependance on foreign oil!
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    All be DAMN if we break our dependance on foreign oil!
    Where do you live?
    Do you drive a car or use any petroleum based product? I think it is so hypocritical to use those products and then complain when you have to see it. Out of sight out of mind right?
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Do you drive a car or use any petroleum based product? I think it is so hypocritical to use those products and then complain when you have to see it. Out of sight out of mind right?
    I use a car very little. I support alternatives. The problem is not being dependent on forgein oil, it is being dependent on oil.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I'll tell you what Dutch. Let me put a refinery in your backyard, how do you feel about that?
    Why don't you ride your bicycle to Tallahassee and complain?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Same goes for you, would you like a refinery in your backyard? Would you want your beaches destroyed from oil?
    I agree! This Country has an overall dependency on gas and needs to work on conservation.
    The phrase is actually "I'll be damned" but no matter.

Dutch lives in Texas so to ask him if he wants a refinery in his yard is a bit silly.
    I grew up in Billings MT and we had a few there so I'll save you asking me.

Ti build on Dutch's statement, if you use any products or services that employ any use of petroleum products your being hypocritical.

Do you deliver your magazines on bikes or do trucks drop them off? Big gas guzzling trucks?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Where do you live?
    Northern Virginia...just outside of DC.

But I was raised not far from oil fields in Northern Michigan. I went to school in a town with a refinery.

NIMBY syndrome strikes again.
    It's not just about gasoline. I assume you air condition your house. You buy manufacturered good (Treos, for instance). This country has a dependency upon *energy*. All industrialized nations do.

The energy has to come from somewhere. Oil? You now know all too well that the oil doesn't always magically well up out of the earth in sparsely populated areas. If it did (ANWAR) people would be against that, too. Nuclear? IMHO, this is the answer, but the well has been so poisoned, it's just not going to happen. Solar? Wind? Yeah, keep dreaming.

Until we are able to develop better energy technologies, we're stuck with oil and all that comes with it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Good points phurth.

I wonder if NRG lives in a house or works in a building made with (oh my!) wood products. But I guess as long as no one is cutting down trees in FL thats ok right?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Northern Virginia...just outside of DC.

But I was raised not far from oil fields in Northern Michigan. I went to school in a town with a refinery.

NIMBY syndrome strikes again.
    Damn straight NIMBY. I would rather pay higher gasoline prices if it means keeping oil drilling off my coast.
    And I bet that magazine he owns is printed on paper! Yes I know it's not oil but the paper industry uses oil too.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote By: Gasmeister at Today 11:53 AM

Sorry NRG. that was kinda funny. I sympathize with you big time. We as a society need to get serious about alternate energy sources. Next car I purchase will at least be a hybrid, but the 325i I purchased a few months back was a dream car. Damn, what a hypocrite I am.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Good points phurth.

I wonder if NRG lives in a house or works in a building made with (oh my!) wood products. But I guess as long as no one is cutting down trees in FL thats ok right?
    Hey I could care less about the trees just as long as they rotate crops. I don't want my dolphins, groupers, barracuda, marlins, sailfish, sharks, egrets, pelicans, children swimming in oil polluted waters.
    Damn straight NIMBY. I would rather pay higher gasoline prices if it means keeping oil drilling off my coast.
    You would rather pay higher prices? No drilling off YOUR coast?

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up!
    Based on this

I use a car very little. I support alternatives. ...
    this

I would rather pay higher gasoline prices if it means keeping oil drilling off my coast.
    doesnt mean didly squat.
    — Ed Howdershelt
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Let's look at it this way oil is a dead end. We need renewable sources of energy. If by keeping oil off my coast makes some you realize this quicker than ao be it. Some of you are just whistling past the graveyard.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast