Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I fully concede that H2 can be created using fossil fuels and nuclear fuels. I said as much. The process of (creating H2 from fossil fuels) -> (using that H2 in fuel cells) is more efficient than the current process of burning fossil fuels.

The presumtion is that we'll run out of fossil fuels because of the ever increasing rate of energy usage by the planet. The known nuclear fuel reservers are also limited.

The bottom line is (PLEASE address this instead of quoting details on generating and using H2): It will take more energy, fossil and/or nuclear, to generate a pound of H2 that you'll get out of a fuel cell by using that pound of H2.

In no way is H2 a SOURCE of energy.

As for renewables, studies have shown that wind and solar energy doesn't have the energy density to replace the current dependence on fossil+nuclear fuels. Vast areas of the surface of the earth will have to be covered by solar cells to generate the equivalent of current and expected rate of consumption of fossil fuels (which are nothing but solar energy from the past..)
    If you read as much as you typed, maybe you would learn something.

But then again what do I expect from a crash test dummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    If you read as much as you typed, maybe you would learn something.

But then again what do I expect from a crash test dummy.
    You can learn a lot from a dummy...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    You can learn a lot from a dummy...
    Your family misses you.

4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    To big of a picture alert. I know you can't trim pics already on a server but please do something about it. I am in no mood to debate the dog pile you folks have created this evening since I have been gone(half in the bag). But I will address your points in the mid morn. From a quik skim I like the direction this thread is going. Look in the hockey thread for some pics of this evening. Go Ning!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Hey I could care less about the trees just as long as they rotate crops. I don't want my dolphins, groupers, barracuda, marlins, sailfish, sharks, egrets, pelicans, children swimming in oil polluted waters.
    I vacation on Gulf Coast beaches from 2 - 5 times a year. You know how many times I've seen oiled up seagulls? Zero.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I vacation on Gulf Coast beaches from 2 - 5 times a year. You know how many times I've seen oiled up seagulls? Zero.
    Yeah, I 've seen more beat up Manatees from boaters. Ban the boats?
    I would let them drill in my yard if it lowered my electricity bill, gas, heating oil prices, etc etc etc..

Dont think there's much oil under Long Island tho.

All be DAMN if they will drill in my grouper fishing ground!

What grouper fishing....laws are being put into effect you keep people down there from overfishing and do away with the population of grouper...they will be long gone before the oil drillers get there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/chitribts/20...rfishedgrouper
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tippymn
    What grouper fishing....laws are being put into effect you keep people down there from overfishing and do away with the population of grouper...they will be long gone before the oil drillers get there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/chitribts/20...rfishedgrouper
    The commerical fisherman are the ones ho will suffer the most. People like myself will usally keep one gag or blackie(types of grouper). I say they should have some laws in place to protect this great sport fish.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    That's just it...unlike momma there is only one teat to be had here.

How much pain are you willing to inflict on the nation to faciliate this switch, and what, exactly, will we be switching to?
    Pain? I would think the best way to solve this is to start reseaching alternatives. Cause as far as I concerned there will never be drilling off the coast of FL, enjoy your higher gas prices.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So one has to wonder (at least I do), do you run two imaging clinics and a magazine for the good of mankind or for a profit? I am gonna guess the latter because the former doesn't buy many bmw's.
    I am not lobbying government to make a profit.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Can't vouch for all of the content, but here are a few sources for you from a quick Google of Ethanol:

http://www.energyjustice.net/ethanol/
    http://magazine.audubon.org/incite/incite0408.html
    http://www.junkscience.com/news2/ethanol.htm
    http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=5892

I live in a county that has a 10% ethanol mandate, and I can also tell you it reduces my own gas mileage by 2-3 MPG. This is a common experience.

After reading this stuff, consider that we just blew millions on more subsidies for the crap in the recent transportation bill.

Hope you enjoyed the hockey game!
    I think if the engines were tuned to run on ethanol would see a change. As, I am sure your engine was not designed to run on ethanol.

Thanks I had fun at the game, we won.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You may not see them right now, but till that first spill.
    Really? How many Medicare/Medicaid patients do you facilities serve? What professional associations (AKA special interests AKA lobbyists) do you contribute to?

This nation runs on oil, and it will for the distant future. The same people that bemoan our foreign dependence are the same people that block domestic development. Oh, the irony!
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Yeah, I 've seen more beat up Manatees from boaters. Ban the boats?
    As a matter of fact boats are banned from the areas where Manatees are most common. By the way where are you seeing Manatees at?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    As a matter of fact boats are banned from the areas where Manatees are most common. By the way where are you seeing Manatees at?
    I thought (motorized boats) were banned from the common manatee areas, but since they travel all areas can not be protected.

I lived in Fort Walton Beach for over 5 years (early to mid 90's) and we would spend weekends all along the coast (Gulf side mainly, some on the Atlantic side). Good friend lives in the Tampa area and we would visit them several times a year (Apollo Beach).
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I thought (motorized boats) were banned from the common manatee areas, but since they travel all areas can not be protected.

I lived in Fort Walton Beach for over 5 years (early to mid 90's) and we would spend weekends all along the coast (Gulf side mainly, some on the Atlantic side). Good friend lives in the Tampa area and we would visit them several times a year (Apollo Beach).
    My dad lived in Apollo Beach - there is a electric generating plant where the hot water is drained in the bay. There would be scores of manatees there.
    You may not see them right now, but till that first spill.
    ridiculous statement...again.
    Let me put a refinery in your backyard, how do you feel about that?
    Don't like it? Move...
    Oh so now it's just lobbyists? Didnt make that distinction before did you? Just profit.
    Sounds more like evasion than a real answer. Big surprise.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast