1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I guess we are getting larger as a society. Get the stat that says "140 lb for the average person". Cripes I weigh 190, I would be considered a behemoth by the USCG's 1960 standards.

Source: MSNBC

Extra weight may be factor in fatal boat crash
    Divers search for clues to explain why boat capsized, killing 20

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. - Just days before a tour boat capsized in the Adirondack Mountains, killing 20 elderly people, the Coast Guard began rethinking its passenger-weight calculations to take into account Americans’ expanding waistlines.

At the time it flipped over, the 38-foot Ethan Allen was just under its capacity of 48 passengers — a figure that was arrived at by using a 1960 Coast Guard standard that assumes a 140-pound average for each man, woman and child, authorities said.

Investigators looking into the accident have said that too much weight may have been a factor and suggested the Coast Guard standard might have to be revised because Americans are getting heavier — something the Coast Guard recognized well before the tragedy.

-snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I guess we are getting larger as a society. Get the stat that says "140 lb for the average person". Cripes I weigh 190, I would be considered a behemoth by the USCG's 1960 standards.
    note that it included women and children......thus bringing the average down.
    George Bush, the fittest President ever, is considered overweight by the out-dated weight standards.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Supersized Americans and incompetant business
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    LOL
    It was this kind of shift of the population towards more weight that caused a commuter plane to crash in NC a few years ago.. It was overloaded and crashed immediately after take-off, killing all.

FAA went through an elaborate process to re-estimate the "average" mass of occupants and their luggage after that incident.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    hey - kill a few people ... THEN review the weight limitations. Great plan.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Well....

I heard the only crew member that was aboard was the captain. If there was a deck hand on board to keep everyone from going to one side to see something, the boat probably would have never rolled over. (capsized)

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Well....

I heard the only crew member that was aboard was the captain. If there was a deck hand on board to keep everyone from going to one side to see something, the boat probably would have never rolled over. (capsized)

Chuck
    Absolutely right!

maybe you should spell check before calling others *incompetent*

And the point of the article in your link as it applies to common sense in this case, is what?

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    George Bush, the fittest President ever...
    What? How can you say George W. Bush is the fittest president... oh, sorry, now I see, you meant physical fitness!

I've seen a documentary with Bush senior a few days ago. - What eloquence, what insight into the complexities of this world, how wise did he steer through the tubulent times of the Kuwait crisis and the end of the Sowiet empire! It reminded me that Conservative presidents do not necessarily look and act like a deer in the headlights...
    Last edited by clulup; 10/05/2005 at 03:25 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Only the limp wristed PC European governments act paralyzed in the face of crisis, not the US.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Only the limp wristed PC European governments act paralyzed in the face of crisis, not the US.
    Either them or those who say "were neutral, we don't take sides". That way they are never have to justify their action, oh wait, they do not have action to justify.