Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Do you think this is a good thing or is it a potential violation of individual rights?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush asked Congress on Tuesday to consider giving him powers to use the military to enforce quarantines in case of an avian influenza epidemic.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...IRDFLU-DC.html
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Do you think this is a good thing or is it a potential violation of individual rights?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush asked Congress on Tuesday to consider giving him powers to use the military to enforce quarantines in case of an avian influenza epidemic.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...IRDFLU-DC.html
    I am not too sure this is a good idea. I think it should be left up to the CDC.
    Apparently, Bush has been given reading materials (books on tape for him, I'm sure) on the 1918 Influenza Pandemic which is making him crap his pants so I'm sure any reaction from the White House on this will be heavy handed.

I agree, if the CDC were controlling it completely I would feel as good about it as I could, BUT they'll hang your a$$ out if they think it will save some people. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few, unless I'm the few, then I start shooting!
    Nope, it would be mishandled by FEMA and they would shoot the liberals first.
    I don't think anyone in the federal gov should impose a curfew. Since when do people in Washington DC get to decide where I get to travel?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Goverment has always had the ability to impose curfew and travel restrictions.
    Let's see: fight wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, defend Korea, maintain a presence in Europe, keep on peacekeeping in Bosnia and the Balkans, be the lead agency for natural disasters in the US and now respond and contain medical disasters as well. Ohhh...and we should use the military to control steroid use in baseball!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    While the US is at it can it wax my car? Cool, cool, thanx in advance.
    Why should we send in the military just because a bunch of birds get sick? What are they gonna do, chase 'em around and catch 'em all? Who is Bush to say how long they can stay out or where they can go? This White House has gone too far this time!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Why should we send in the military just because a bunch of birds get sick? What are they gonna do, chase 'em around and catch 'em all? Who is Bush to say how long they can stay out or where they can go? This White House has gone too far this time!
    Now that I reconsider the whole thing, what military personel are we gonna use exactly? Given the number of Guard and Regular currently in the quagmire?
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Why should we send in the military just because a bunch of birds get sick? What are they gonna do, chase 'em around and catch 'em all?
    You are kidding...........right?
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    We'll give it that long-lasting shine...with a JDAM.
    You are kidding...........right?
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Now that I reconsider the whole thing, what military personel are we gonna use exactly? Given the number of Guard and Regular currently in the quagmire?
    There are over 2,000,000 American volunteers in uniform right now. Active, reserve and National Guard. Plus many of the states have their own militias. I think there are less than 200,000 in Iraq/Afgahnistan right now....probably less than 500,000 deployed worldwide.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    There are over 2,000,000 American volunteers in uniform right now. Active, reserve and National Guard. Plus many of the states have their own militias. I think there are less than 200,000 in Iraq/Afgahnistan right now....probably less than 500,000 deployed worldwide.
    Then I hope the leadership reaction is better than Katrina's.
    You're gonna need it, with all the birds and all.
    Cool! Now we're blaming Bush for things that haven't even happened!

An awful lot of energy is being wasted hating a man who can't even run again. Perhaps instead, the left could do something like maybe come up with... say, an idea? Something other than how evil (inept, clueless... whatever) Bush is.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Then I hope the leadership reaction is better than Katrina's.
    Thankfully, Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin won't be directly involved.
    Cool! Now we're blaming Bush for things that haven't even happened!

An awful lot of energy is being wasted hating a man who can't even run again. Perhaps instead, the left could do something like maybe come up with... say, an idea? Something other than how evil (inept, clueless... whatever) Bush is.
    Here Ya Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I don't think anyone in the federal gov should impose a curfew. Since when do people in Washington DC get to decide where I get to travel?
    They get to decide when people don't obey an order that could impact others (not to mention me and my family). Darn right the military should get involved!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast