Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    While the US is at it can it wax my car? Cool, cool, thanx in advance.
    Naw, but they can make sure your the first to go..
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yeah, uh... that's pretty much what I was talking about. From the Dem site:

    "Retirement Security

    Democrats believe that after a life of hard work, you earn a secure retirement. Our commitment to protecting the promise of Social Security is absolute. We will not allow anyone to endanger Social Security or take even a single step toward dismantling it. We are open to any and all ideas that ensure that the current and future generations of retirees receive the benefits they were promised without heaping trillions onto our national debt."

    Just one example of the pure pablum that dresses up as an agenda.

    So have you e-mailed them any suggestions on the whole Social Security thing? It sounds like they're looking for some help.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    ...The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few, unless I'm the few, then I start shooting!
    lol

    While you may be jesting (a bit), this is where the rubber meets the road. A lot of policies, positions, and philosophies sound good in chambers, but when the government has decided it is YOUR turn to die, that's when one discovers how s/he really feels about the right to bear arms.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Interesting demographc appeal based on the picture on the mast head(clicked a few times to see if it was random generated).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Do you think this is a good thing or is it a potential violation of individual rights?

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush asked Congress on Tuesday to consider giving him powers to use the military to enforce quarantines in case of an avian influenza epidemic.

    http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...IRDFLU-DC.html
    The federal government serves as a coordinator for the mutal interest of the States (seeing as they are united and all). As such, this proposal makes sense. The problem I see is not the proposal itself, but the tendency of beauracrats to neglect returning a situation to its original state once the cause has passed.
  6. #26  
    Normally, I stay out of this, but.....

    I am happy to see W actually thinking about this problem, but since Finland just ordered enough innoculations to innoculate their ENTIRE POPULATION......

    I think W should demand, ney, force the Congress to pass legislation, then sign it, that states that all big pharma companies should release the immunization shots AT COST to the US for every man, woman and child in the US. And then finance this expense from our tax dollars.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  7. #27  
    I think W should demand, ney, force the Congress to pass legislation, then sign it, that states that all big pharma companies should release the immunization shots AT COST to the US for every man, woman and child in the US.
    Wow. A perfectly formed knee-jerk response. Problem is, if you remove the profit motive, there's no incentive for the drug companies to provide *any* flu vaccine. Is that what you want?

    Then there's the whole idea of the President "forcing" Congress to do anything...

    If the idea is to provide enough vaccine for everyone, how about the goverment buys it at market rates? A case can be made that this is a legitimate govt national security role (although, I might disagree), however, usurping the legislature and destroying the vaccine industry would seem less than intelligent ways to go about it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    Normally, I stay out of this, but.....

    I am happy to see W actually thinking about this problem, but since Finland just ordered enough innoculations to innoculate their ENTIRE POPULATION......

    I think W should demand, ney, force the Congress to pass legislation, then sign it, that states that all big pharma companies should release the immunization shots AT COST to the US for every man, woman and child in the US. And then finance this expense from our tax dollars.
    There's no vaccine against bird flu in humans yet. In fact, there isn't even the "real" human disease yet against which one could vaccinate.

    There is only a serious risk that the virus which causes bird flu (in birds) mutates and then can be passed on from human to human, leading to an epidemic (local spread of the new, human disease) or pandemic (worldwide spread). So far, the virus causing bird flu only "jumps" to humans in rare cases from infected birds.

    There are some medications which are suspected to help against the human form of bird flu (e.g. Tamiflu), but that, too, is not sure yet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Wow. A perfectly formed knee-jerk response. Problem is, if you remove the profit motive, there's no incentive for the drug companies to provide *any* flu vaccine. Is that what you want?
    Ah yes, the perfect Capitalist....anything for a buck, even if it kills us. What happens when 70% of the population dies because you charged too much for the medicine? Who's left to buy what's left? Only the people who can afford it in the first place. Who's left to make it? Nobody. They all died because they couldn't afford it.

    The incentive is......survival of the company! Because when all your customers are dead, well, they're dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    If the idea is to provide enough vaccine for everyone, how about the goverment buys it at market rates? A case can be made that this is a legitimate govt national security role (although, I might disagree), however, usurping the legislature and destroying the vaccine industry would seem less than intelligent ways to go about it.
    I'd say the death of most of your customers would pretty much kill the vaccine industry. Penny-wise, pound foolish......
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    There's no vaccine against bird flu in humans yet. In fact, there isn't even the "real" human disease yet against which one could vaccinate.
    Supposedly the newest variation of this virus has learned to move from human to human. And the survival rate is 25%.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    Supposedly the newest variation of this virus has learned to move from human to human. And the survival rate is 25%.
    Cite please. "Supposedly" just doesn't cut it for me.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Cite please. "Supposedly" just doesn't cut it for me.
    "H5N1 has clearly evolved and has become markedly more efficient at transmitting among humans, and has done so via recombination. WHO continues to monitor reassortment with human genes, which has never been reported for H5N1 and is conceptually flawed, since the human receptor binding domain resides on the HA protein and swapping away the H gene would eliminate the H5 serotype.

    H5 will clearly be resident in humans worldwide."

    See recombinomics.com. Now, this might be scientific gloom & doom, but it might NOT be. And if it isn't.......
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  13. #33  
    see how easy that was
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14. #34  
    I'd say the death of most of your customers would pretty much kill the vaccine industry. Penny-wise, pound foolish......
    Unfortunately for your argument, socialism has been tried many, many places. At its worst, it killed people outright. At its best, it causes govt bloat, inefficiencies, and most fatally for your argument - shortages.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Unfortunately for your argument, socialism has been tried many, many places. At its worst, it killed people outright. At its best, it causes govt bloat, inefficiencies, and most fatally for your argument - shortages.
    Hmmm. Who said anything about socialism? Not me. But I'd like my tax dollars to actually be put to good use. This would be a rare instance where government could actually do good...as opposed to doing nothing, something our government seems particularly good at, especially these days.....

    Oh, and every single flaw you just cited could be said of capitalism as well.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  16. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Cite please. "Supposedly" just doesn't cut it for me.
    Stickler!!!
  17. #37  
    By the same token a pharmaceutical company could gain great press by providing such a service. I work in the biotech industry and we're not only after the biggest buck.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    See recombinomics.com. Now, this might be scientific gloom & doom, but it might NOT be. And if it isn't.......
    It's an extremly dubious private site. The statement "The mother has already died with bird flu symptoms and now two of her children have symptoms" does not mean anything because the symtoms of bird flu are totally unspecific, there is no way you can tell it is indeed bird flu from the symptoms alone.

    Here are some quality sources:

    http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian...avian_faqs/en/
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/index.htm
    http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/avianflu/index.html

    So far, there is no human-to-human transmission. No reason for panic, but the threat is real.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherv
    By the same token a pharmaceutical company could gain great press by providing such a service. I work in the biotech industry and we're not only after the biggest buck.
    Then you should give back a percentage of your salary to insure that your company is always on the cutting edge. That would be the responsible thing to do.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  20. #40  
    Maybe I should add that there is no danger for born-again, fundamentalist evangelical Christians in the US. Since evolution does not take place and by-chance mutations leading to new traits are a joke anyway, the virus will of course not evolve, so there is nothing to worry about.

    Those who believe in intelligent design (since the president of the US recommends it for biology classes he seems to be one of them) should maybe answer the question why their intelligent designer seems to work on a new, potentially devastating variant of the avian influenza virus. A newly designed virus which will, of course, hit those country hardest which do not have the capacity of producing enough flu vaccine themselves, countries such as the US.

    Remember last year, when the Bush admin could not find enough vaccine even for the "normal" flu?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions