Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 84
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    We have beat the issue of failure to implement evacuation plan vs slow federal rsponse to death. It is just now coming to light the poor job the media did in reporting facts vs repeating anything they thought would sell a paper or put their story on TV. Their job is to report facts which they did a poor job of.
    Yes, and part of beating it to death is to **** can the head of FEMA and criticize the admin which appointed him, AND for moving FEMA under Homeland Security.

    The media did a very EXCELLENT job in reporting the situation. I even had to throw some respect Jeraldo's way, when after seeing the conditions at the Superdome, made a tearful plea for help.
  2. #22  
    One of the funniest things I've seen in a while! That guy was in WAAYYYY over his head!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  3. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Wow! One guy holds together an understaffed and emotionally devastated police force through a natural disaster and the other says in a TV interview that he wasn't aware of thousands of people in the superdome for days and you feel those are equal efforts?

    Wow! What color is the sky in your world?
    I really am not surprised the way you color the sides so differently.

    Holds together understaffed emotionally devasted force (15% of force deserted post, others on video looting Wal-Mart), of course we all know FEMA is fully staffed and funded

    Says in TV interview wasnot aware of thousands in superdome for days

    Says on Oprah, babies being raped and children with slit throats

    Yes, seem quite equal to me.
  4. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yes, and part of beating it to death is to **** can the head of FEMA and criticize the admin which appointed him, AND for moving FEMA under Homeland Security.

    The media did a very EXCELLENT job in reporting the situation. I even had to throw some respect Jeraldo's way, when after seeing the conditions at the Superdome, made a tearful plea for help.
    Come on man, put the kool-aid down. The news agencies themselves are now apologizing for poor reporting during this situation.
  5. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Depending on what state you live in, either Red or Blue.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yes, and part of beating it to death is to **** can the head of FEMA and criticize the admin which appointed him, AND for moving FEMA under Homeland Security.
    Absolutely!
    The media did a very EXCELLENT job in reporting the situation. I even had to throw some respect Jeraldo's way, when after seeing the conditions at the Superdome, made a tearful plea for help.
    Here's where we part company. Have you read the LA Time story from today or the NO Times-Picayune story from yesterday? I'd say minimally to be considered EXCELLENT, what's reported should actually be true, no?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    You have opened a can of worms
    Maybe....but I was really looking at it with a concern for my own community. Here in the Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA area we have several volcanoes around us, the threat of a major earthquake, and with the Columbia River going through the heart of the cities a tidal wave if it hit the mouth of the river dead on.

    Already have faced a major event when St Helens blew in 1980 and recent activity last year, I know we have a plan.....but do those who need to know, know what it is and what they really should do when it all happens again? I just thought that some of the questions asked in there are ones I am going to be asking my local governments.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Says on Oprah, babies being raped and children with slit throats
    Assuming it's an exaggeration/untruth the goal would likely be to emphasize "THESE PEOPLE NEED SOME HELP!!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Says on Oprah, babies being raped and children with slit throats
    Assuming it's an exaggeration/untruth the goal would likely be to displace blame for doing a job poorly.
    "I DIDN'T KNOW PEOPLE NEEDED HELP IN THERE! NOT MY FAULT!"

    Gee, which one sounds more like a public servant??
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Come on man, put the kool-aid down. The news agencies themselves are now apologizing for poor reporting during this situation.
    WOW! If you fail to see that the Coast Guard and the National Media were the ONLY two organizations addressing that mess in the first 48-72 hours, you're about as naiver as they come.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Depending on what state you live in, either Red or Blue.
    What if you're a red man in a blue state? I'm so conflicted.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Here's where we part company. Have you read the LA Time story from today or the NO Times-Picayune story from yesterday? I'd say minimally to be considered EXCELLENT, what's reported should actually be true, no?
    Look, given the already sensational aspect of the situation I'm not going to blame the media for a few quoted untruths. The media did a good job in that situtation and a dangerous job.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    What if you're a red man in a blue state? I'm so conflicted.
    Tell me about about, I'm a native Kahlifornian.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Look, given the already sensational aspect of the situation I'm not going to blame the media for a few quoted untruths. The media did a good job in that situtation and a dangerous job.
    If Geraldo was there at the Superdome/Convention Center and it turns out that many of the things he'd been reporting *from that location* were not true... I for one have a hard time calling that good reporting. He's not the only reporter on scene who could have tried at least to corroborate some of the more sensational items before broadcasting them.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    If Geraldo was there at the Superdome/Convention Center and it turns out that many of the things he'd been reporting *from that location* were not true... I for one have a hard time calling that good reporting. He's not the only reporter on scene who could have tried at least to corroborate some of the more sensational items before broadcasting them.
    I would agree with your point on these few sensational items if it wasn't a fact that all of the real sensational things that were reported pointed out the tragedies that were not being addrressed.

    It's kind of like saying there's an apt building burning down with 50 people in it but because someone reported there were puppies being tortured on the fifteenth floor the coverage of the buikdings victims needs was flawed.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I would agree with your point on these few sensational items if it wasn't a fact that all of the real sensational things that were reported pointed out the tragedies that were not being addrressed.
    I don't accept the premise that the media reporting did anything to rush help there any faster. Most mistakes made that would have affected timing of aid had been already made by the time of the sensational reporting. By that time, logistic realities and decisions made locally dictated when help would arrive.
    It's kind of like saying there's an apt building burning down with 50 people in it but because someone reported there were puppies being tortured on the fifteenth floor the coverage of the buikdings victims needs was flawed.
    You make a good point, but what about the negative effects of the hyperbolic reporting such as this from the LA Times story:
    The media inaccuracies had consequences in the disaster zone.

    Bush, of the National Guard, said that reports of corpses at the Superdome filtered back to the facility via AM radio, undermining his struggle to keep morale up and maintain order.

    "We had to convince people this was still the best place to be," Bush said. "What I saw in the Superdome was just tremendous amounts of people helping people."
    Do you suppose that reporting helped or hindered efforts at the Superdome? What if rescuers concentrated on the tortured puppies rather than the 50 dying people in the building? Was it a good thing that inaccurate reporting diverted resources?

    And what have you got against puppies?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I don't accept the premise that the media reporting did anything to rush help there any faster. Most mistakes made that would have affected timing of aid had been already made by the time of the sensational reporting. By that time, logistic realities and decisions made locally dictated when help would arrive.You make a good point, but what about the negative effects of the hyperbolic reporting such as this from the LA Times story: Do you suppose that reporting helped or hindered efforts at the Superdome? What if rescuers concentrated on the tortured puppies rather than the 50 dying people in the building? Was it a good thing that inaccurate reporting diverted resources?
    The point is there were still 1000s of people in the superdome in need of help after being there days with no water/sewage/or food. So I don't see how that's distracting assistance.

    The only reason this was even brought up in this thread is because it's a conservative talking point to distract from the audacity of Brown's testimony.


    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    And what have you got against puppies?
    Name it! I'll blame the puppies!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Assuming it's an exaggeration/untruth the goal would likely be to emphasize "THESE PEOPLE NEED SOME HELP!!!"


    Assuming it's an exaggeration/untruth the goal would likely be to displace blame for doing a job poorly.
    "I DIDN'T KNOW PEOPLE NEEDED HELP IN THERE! NOT MY FAULT!"

    Gee, which one sounds more like a public servant??

    A lie in the service of the "truth". (The truth in this case being a chance to bash Bush.)

    Classic LibThink.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Assuming it's an exaggeration/untruth the goal would likely be to emphasize "THESE PEOPLE NEED SOME HELP!!!"

    Gee, which one sounds more like a public servant??
    Is this the Iraq/WMD thread???

    I'm sorry, it was too easy to pass up!
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  19. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #39  
    "A lie in the service of the "truth". (The truth in this case being a chance to bash Bush.)

    Classic LibThink."

    yep. right on the button.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  20. #40  
    [QUOTE=daThomas So don't you go schmeering a good thing.[/QUOTE]

    huh
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions