1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    UM has got to have one of the biggest collection of bandwasgon fans ever! I mean come on, Colorado is not that bad of a team. 20,000 open seats........hahahaha. I like the football team but I really dislike a majority of their fans.
    Last edited by NRG; 09/24/2005 at 12:26 PM.
    Oh get off it! Although I agree it's disappointing to see empty seats in the OB, you have to realize this is Miami not some podunk sewer like Gainesville (No offense Marcus! ) or Trailerhassee. It is a pro sports town with tons of things to do and even the sports teams have a hard time selling out...heck even the Fins have had trouble lately! Also, you have to realize the UM only has 14,000 student body (~8000 undergrad and 6000 grad). Thus even if you had the entire student body show up, it would only fill a fraction of the cavernous 80,000 OB. Thus UM has to rely alot on the metropolitan fan base, many of whom have never or could never attend a school like UM. The annouced attendence was 52,000 I think, which was alrigh considering imo, but could have been better...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Oh get off it! Although I agree it's disappointing to see empty seats in the OB, you have to realize this is Miami not some podunk sewer like Gainesville (No offense Marcus! ) or Trailerhassee. It is a pro sports town with tons of things to do and even the sports teams have a hard time selling out...heck even the Fins have had trouble lately! Also, you have to realize the UM only has 14,000 student body (~8000 undergrad and 6000 grad). Thus even if you had the entire student body show up, it would only fill a fraction of the cavernous 80,000 OB. Thus UM has to rely alot on the metropolitan fan base, many of whom have never or could never attend a school like UM. The annouced attendence was 52,000 I think, which was alrigh considering imo, but could have been better...
    Sorry, I feel this is an excuse. With the population base that is in the Miami-Metro Dade area you are at a distinct advantage compared to Tallahassee and GVille. Most of these smaller town universities have people that travel to the game, sometimes 9 hr. drives, just to see the game. Your argument doesn't hold water. If these people where really interested in the Canes they would go see the the game. Face it Miami is choked full of bandwagon fans, be it the Panthers, Marlins, Heat, Fins, or the Canes. You are right there is alot to do in the town but that doesn't mean they should not support their team after one loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Sorry, I feel this is an excuse. With the population base that is in the Miami-Metro Dade area you are at a distinct advantage compared to Tallahassee and GVille. Most of these smaller town universities have people that travel to the game, sometimes 9 hr. drives, just to see the game. Your argument doesn't hold water. If these people where really interested in the Canes they would go see the the game. Face it Miami is choked full of bandwagon fans, be it the Panthers, Marlins, Heat, Fins, or the Canes. You are right there is alot to do in the town but that doesn't mean they should not support their team after one loss.

How does population base equal fan base? For example, both F$U and the Crocs have MUCH larger alumni bases than UM. In contrast, Miami is a much smaller school with an Alumni base spread much farther across the country and especially in the NE. That is also why fyi, UM has a much national fan base than the other states schools which have a much stronger regional alumni base.

If you think about it, it is actually pretty impressive that a small private school like Miami in an urban setting like south FL has been so successful in maintaining its program and attracting the fans it has which are mostly people who have never gone to the school and probably could have never gotten in for that matter afforded it! This is the same problem for most schools set in urban centers btw. For example checkout the attendance and UCLA games or for that matter UCS prior to the success they've had the past few years. It is hard for schools in metro centers to sell out as opposed to places like Gainesville, Death Valley, etc where there is basically nothing else to do. Combine that with an off campus stadium and crappy pro sports town mentality and its pretty amazing the fans UM does bring in...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    How does population base equal fan base? For example, both F$U and the Crocs have MUCH larger alumni bases than UM. In contrast, Miami is a much smaller school with an Alumni base spread much farther across the country and especially in the NE. That is also why fyi, UM has a much national fan base than the other states schools which have a much stronger regional alumni base.

If you think about it, it is actually pretty impressive that a small private school like Miami in an urban setting like south FL has been so successful in maintaining its program and attracting the fans it has which are mostly people who have never gone to the school and probably could have never gotten in for that matter afforded it! This is the same problem for most schools set in urban centers btw. For example checkout the attendance and UCLA games or for that matter UCS prior to the success they've had the past few years. It is hard for schools in metro centers to sell out as opposed to places like Gainesville, Death Valley, etc where there is basically nothing else to do. Combine that with an off campus stadium and crappy pro sports town mentality and its pretty amazing the fans UM does bring in...
    Where could I find the attendance for last year?

L.A. is kinda of a bad example I would think. Hell it doesn't even have a pro football team.
    Have no fear, Famu plays in the OB next week and we're bringing the BAND LOL.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Have no fear, Famu plays in the OB next week and we're bringing the BAND LOL.
    The band is sweet!!! Strike Rattlers!!
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Did anyone see that hit Clemson's linebacker put on BC's QB? Yoooouch
    Trailerhassee, F$U....You insult me sir!
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treozoic
    Don't take it so hard, he is just a cane fan. Where in Tally you at? BTW beauty of an avatar.
    Now you know the FSU trailer lot by the stadium is off the chain.....
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    He's just upset that FSU beat his Miami team.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunk
    podunk sewer like Gainesville
    That offends me.. Though he's upset that the Gators are ranked higher then his team is. Plus The Swamp/Gator fans are more intense then his Miami fans! They are just a bunch of band waggoners!
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Now you know the FSU trailer lot by the stadium is off the chain.....
    Trailer lot? You mean RVs?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Trailer lot? You mean RVs?
    Let me correct you that's the Florida/Georgia game here in jacksonville.