1.    #1  
    I was browsing around for Visor related web sites, and came across a link to Visorcity.com. Their home page states that they've closed up shop because of a possible lawsuit from Handspring. My question is whether a trademark holder (such as Handspring) can actually shut down a website with a url that refers to the trademark? Would there be any logical reason for them to?

Is Visorcentral in jeopardy? Or, is the entire thing a big fraud?
    Life's just a blast, just it's moving really fast, and you'd <BR>better stay on top or life'll kick you in the *** -Limp Bizkit
    Im not sure about the legality of that. But I am almost 100% sure that Handspring would not to shut down VC. Simply because of the amount of sales they undoubtedly must get that come from VC. I mean it was "The Visor Recieved Log" That persuaded me to buy my visor. So anywho i'm not sure what happened to visorcity but visorcentral is not in danger.
    God bless the USA! The country I love, and will support at all costs.
    Well the guy that is doing the flip lids said he had to change his name from re-visor at Handspring's behest so maybe there's a trend emerging...
    Boy, is that trend ever emerging.
    Man I dont agree witht hat at all. I think they should be required to "buy it" from the person who owns the domain. Rather than just taking it.
    I wrote to Handspring's public relations department to see if there is any validity to VisorCity's claim. If there is, I am very disappointed in this company. I like to support companies with good business practices and it will put me in a major moral dilemma. I can still return my Prism for another week.
    Originally posted by Galileo
    I wrote to Handspring's public relations department to see if there is any validity to VisorCity's claim. If there is, I am very disappointed in this company. I like to support companies with good business practices and it will put me in a major moral dilemma. I can still return my Prism for another week.
    The actual notice only said "possible".

Due to avoid a possible law sue (sic) by Handspring I have taken this Website (temporarly) offline.
    Usually when a Web site is given a cease and desist notice they post it so their users can see why the Web site is taken down.

I think that in this case the Webmaster of VisorCity got spooked by what Palm, Inc. did to MyPalm.com and was concerned that Handspring may do the same to him.
    I do NOT look wierd! I just look ... "different".
    Originally posted by dpdamour
    Originally posted by Galileo
    The actual notice only said "possible".

Due to avoid a possible law sue (sic) by Handspring I have taken this Website (temporarly) offline.
    Usually when a Web site is given a cease and desist notice they post it so their users can see why the Web site is taken down.

I think that in this case the Webmaster of VisorCity got spooked by what Palm, Inc. did to MyPalm.com and was concerned that Handspring may do the same to him.

Thats true, not sure though....

I'm not so sure about that. VC member "sastien" mentioned having to rename re-visor.com as a result of being "contacted" by Handspring regarding trademark infringement. He didn't elaborate enough to indictate whether or not the contact was a full-fledged C&D, but that's probably what it was. Perhaps sastien can chime in here?

Kudos to Galileo for taking a stand on the issue.
    well, not sure on my "stand" anymore (not just because I love my Prism)

this is from Handspring's PRPRPR $department$:

To: --------
    Subject: RE: Visor Websites
    Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:36:01 -0800
    Hey Brian,
    I've talked to our legal counsel here and we have not initiated any
    talks of
    a lawsuit against VisorCity.

We're really not sure why his site is saying this.

Regards,
    Brian

so I have no idea what is going on here ....
    Another site goes down due to copyright problems --> YMS Homepage.