1.    #1  
    If earth's population was shrunk into a village of just 100 people with all the human ratios existing in the world still remaining what would this tiny, diverse village look like?

That's exactly what Phillip M. Harter, a medical doctor at the Stanford University School of Medicine, attempted to figure out. This is what he found.:

57 would be Asian
    21 would be European
    14 would be from the Western Hemisphere
    8 would be African
    52 would be female;
    48 would be male
    70 would be nonwhite;
    30 would be white
    70 would be non-Christian;
    30 would be Christian
    89 would be heterosexual;
    11 would be homosexual
    6 people would possess 59 percent of the entire world's wealth, and all
    6 would be from the United States.
    80 would live in substandard housing
    70 would be unable to read
    50 would suffer from malnutrition
    1 would be near death
    1 would be pregnant
    1 would have a college education
    1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness... you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world. If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

Link
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    how many would have a treo and would buy one with WM5?
    holy crap! I just read that article last night and used it for my article critique for my business communications class today!! weird.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I guess I would be that one.

I feel bad for that one person who is near death and pregnant at the same time.
    I'm back!
    Good post.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    careful Clairegrrl -- that article has within it some dangerously progressive, even altruistic implications --

the last folks around here who foolishly looked to be evolving in that direction have been "disappeared"

(Have you seen Advance the Man recently ??)

the righties are not to be trifled with !!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    And how many would talk about the latest Treo Killer?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I'm pretty sure Claire is one of us.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And how many would talk about the latest Treo Killer?
    I'm back!
    This is also a perfect example of what's (frequently) wrong with statistics. The numbers just don't add up. 6 wealthy Americans, but only 1 of the 100 owns a PC or has a college education? Ludicrous.

14 from the western hemisphere, 6 wealthy (U.S.) Americans. So that leaves a maximum of 8 from the rest of the Western Hemisphere? Canada, Mexico, Central and South America count for 8% or less of the world's population? Doesn't sound right to me.

And 11% of the worlds population as gay seems high, although I have no statistics off the top of my head. But based on some google searches it seems that between 2 and 6 percent of the U.S. population is gay (depending on who's counting).

It looks to me that this professor's simply collected a bunch of non-related statistics and tried to combine them in a way that isn't statistically valid. Maybe he should have worked with someone from the Math and/or Statistics department before making himself look foolish.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    6 wealthy Americans, but only 1 of the 100 owns a PC or has a college education?
    Bill Gates doesn't have a college education, but he's probably the one who owns the PC. So he can be weathly, uneducated, and the PC dude.
    I'm back!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    careful Clairegrrl -- that article has within it some dangerously progressive, even altruistic implications --

the last folks around here who foolishly looked to be evolving in that direction have been "disappeared"

(Have you seen Advance the Man recently ??)

Troll
  13.    #13  
    This is also a perfect example of what's (frequently) wrong with statistics. The numbers just don't add up. 6 wealthy Americans, but only 1 of the 100 owns a PC or has a college education? Ludicrous.

14 from the western hemisphere, 6 wealthy (U.S.) Americans. So that leaves a maximum of 8 from the rest of the Western Hemisphere? Canada, Mexico, Central and South America count for 8% or less of the world's population? Doesn't sound right to me.

And 11% of the worlds population as gay seems high, although I have no statistics off the top of my head. But based on some google searches it seems that between 2 and 6 percent of the U.S. population is gay (depending on who's counting).

It looks to me that this professor's simply collected a bunch of non-related statistics and tried to combine them in a way that isn't statistically valid. Maybe he should have worked with someone from the Math and/or Statistics department before making himself look foolish.
    Take it up with the DR

Per this line
    When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.
    I think that was the whole point. When we only view one aspect of a matter, we invariably miss the nuances of the collective.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Good post.
    It's fake, not written by "Phillip M. Harter, a medical doctor at the Stanford University School of Medicine": http://www.fastcompany.com/articles/2001/05/email.html

Many numbers given are obviously wrong, e.g. the population of Africa is 14% of the world population, not 8%, the population of Euope is 11%, not 21%, about 15% cannot read, not 70%, with one person near death and one pregnant the population would shrink, not grow, the statement that all six rich people would be from the US is statistical nonsense, etc., etc.

Long live critical thinking!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    Thanks for the link. That was interesting.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    It's fake, not written by "Phillip M. Harter, a medical doctor at the Stanford University School of Medicine": http://www.fastcompany.com/articles/2001/05/email.html

Many numbers given are obviously wrong, e.g. the population of Africa is 14% of the world population, not 8%, the population of Euope is 11%, not 21%, about 15% cannot read, not 70%, with one person near death and one pregnant the population would shrink, not grow, the statement that all six rich people would be from the US is statistical nonsense, etc., etc.

Long live critical thinking!
    Good thing Dr. Harter has a sense of humor