Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    Kind of funny, kind of sad: http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46361

    On the heels of a report earlier this week that Atlanta area Katrina victims were using $2,000 debit cards to purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags, Houston police yesterday discovered the cards, provided by FEMA and the Red Cross, being used at local strip clubs.

    <snip>
    http://news.google.com/news?q=%22the...r=&sa=N&tab=wn
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2. #2  
    I like this quote:
    "If they make an inappropriate decision as to what to purchase, the whole issue of victims' rights comes into play," said Bill Hildebrandt, chief executive officer of the Mid-South chapter of the Red Cross. "They have a right, I guess, to be inappropriate."
  3. #3  
    Not only that, but Caligula XXI's nowhere near the Astrodome (no I haven't been there).

    My first job was at a grocery store. Working in the Courtesy Booth, I hated seeing people cash their SS checks and buying lotto tix.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #4  
    You knew this was coming, this is why they have food stamps.
  5. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Not only that, but Caligula XXI's nowhere near the Astrodome (no I haven't been there).

    My first job was at a grocery store. Working in the Courtesy Booth, I hated seeing people cash their SS checks and buying lotto tix.
    Several years ago I saw the casinos in Biloxi MS cash state welfare checks and turn them into chips.
  6. #6  
    purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags
    Ya yhink they'd be satisified with Coach
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You knew this was coming, this is why they have food stamps.
    I agree, that's why I don't see why this is such a big story. Many of the people getting these cards are undereducated and don't know how to properly handle their money. It's a real shame because they just don't know.

    Then you have the scammers. Whenever money is going to be handed out by the "system", someone always figuers out how to "beat the system!" That's just the way it is and has to be factored into the mix.

    So, that's why I don't understand why this is surprising story to anyone. What we need to do is make a much better effort at making sure "all" of the citizens of this country get a fair shot at a good education so stories like this won't be a common occurrence.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Ya yhink they'd be satisified with Coach
    I'm satisfied with Coach

    Being uneducated has nothing to do with having some common sense. In one had you have the choice of buying an $800 purse, but in the other hand you need to feed your starving children and put clothes on their back. I understhand the fact that these people may have never had the chance to have really nice things like someone of us have, and they probably never will, but I guess this is how these people were raised. Thank God my parents always told me to get my priorities straight!

    Just my $.02
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You knew this was coming, this is why they have food stamps.
    You gotta love the old women buying food with food stamps and then gets into her 2006 Caddy.
  10. #10  
    It's sad but folx who have never had anything dont know how to handle money when it comes to them. I'm sure this is not what ALL the families are doing, I'm sure some are doing the right thing. I also have heard of something called "debtor relief" (I think thats what my brother called it) where folx who pay off their bills or get a raise in income lose their minds a lil buying and spending because they suddenly have the freedom and the cash available to them. They have to be careful or they end up right back in the hole again. I dont have a lot of confidence in the President but I hope he follows though in the job training for the communities affected by hurricane katrina. A lot of folx just dont KNOW.

    ... On the other hand, since they just went thru such a stressful time maybe this counts as therapy/stress relief...

    j/k
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MadlyAlive
    You gotta love the old women buying food with food stamps and then gets into her 2006 Caddy.

    Not everyone using food stamps has them because they are poor. When my mother got temporary custody/placement of my nieces until child protective services could straighten out their home situation, my parents rec'd state medical for them, a check each month and food stamps to supplement them because of the expense. She was acting as a foster home to them. I hated going to the store for my mom because I knew the stigma attached. I also had a friend who had to shop for a group home and she used to tell me about folx who would give her the dirtiest looks in the store because they see her dressed nice, in a nice car and spending hundreds on food. Also someone could have just come upon hard times, where they still have nice things but need financial assistance or they could be shopping to help a needy/invalid friend, neighbor or relative out. You cant judge a book by its cover.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Kind of funny, kind of sad.
    Herberman, I'm not surprised at this, are you?

    Some people will take advantage of an opportunity (if they are that type of person) if the chance presents itself. Look at the Corporation executives that embezzle or disappropriate millions of dollars from their employees pensions, etc. This is equally, if not just as wrong. And not only is that "sad," it's criminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    ... On the other hand, since they just went thru such a stressful time maybe this counts as therapy/stress relief... j/k
    Maybe, or they could just be folks doing what they would do, disaster or not.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom

    Maybe, or they could just be folks doing what they would do, disaster or not.

    ...um...I meant that as a joke...hence the j/k ...k?...
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  14. #14  
    I think they suffered a nightmare of there life .
    It is allright, to entertain yourself after a traumatizing experience and near death experience.
    And a high quality stripbar , I am all for that ...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    It is allright, to entertain yourself after a traumatizing experience and near death experience.
    And a high quality stripbar , I am all for that ...
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  16. #16  
    Our tax $$$ at work. Jeez, isn't there a compassionate way to provide what's actually needed while cutting out the waste?

    Todd/Indy
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I agree, that's why I don't see why this is such a big story. Many of the people getting these cards are undereducated and don't know how to properly handle their money. It's a real shame because they just don't know.

    So if you're "undereducated" then you don't how to make moral, common sense decision on how to spend money and not be a scamming thief?

    *Sigh* I'm sorry but I very tired of hearing sooo many people making apologies for people's bad behaviour becuase of their economic status. They did the same thing about the looting after the hurricane, and now with these debit card fiascos. This is obvisously NOT about steal bread btw as the above case illustrates. And if you happen to point this out, the PC brigade will automatically call it racism...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    So if you're "undereducated" then you don't how to make moral, common sense decision on how to spend money and not be a scamming thief?

    *Sigh* I'm sorry but I very tired of hearing sooo many people making apologies for people's bad behaviour becuase of their economic status. They did the same thing about the looting after the hurricane, and now with these debit card fiascos. This is obvisously NOT about steal bread btw as the above case illustrates. And if you happen to point this out, the PC brigade will automatically call it racism...
    Ranting and second guessing about liberals and immoral poor people is all well and good, but lets face it, this is not a problem caused by liberals. These cards were a bad idea thought up by Bush appointed morons in FEMA. It is as simple as that.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    So if you're "undereducated" then you don't how to make moral, common sense decision on how to spend money and not be a scamming thief?

    *Sigh* I'm sorry but I very tired of hearing sooo many people making apologies for people's bad behaviour becuase of their economic status.
    I'm not talking about economic status, I'm talking about educational status. If a person has never been taught how to handle finances and someone gives them a lump sum of money, chances are they will spend it the wrong way. This doesn't mean all of the people that were given these debit cards did this, just some of them. Remember, everyone was not privileged enough to go to 'THE U!"

    They did the same thing about the looting after the hurricane, and now with these debit card fiascos. This is obvisously NOT about steal bread btw as the above case illustrates. And if you happen to point this out, the PC brigade will automatically call it racism...
    If you don't think race plays any part in this you have your head buried under the sand! That being said, there are a lot of scammers out there as well.

    You sound like one of the "Pull yourself up by the bootstrap" people. Life is not that easy for some.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  20. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Ranting and second guessing about liberals and immoral poor people is all well and good, but lets face it, this is not a problem caused by liberals. These cards were a bad idea thought up by Bush appointed morons in FEMA. It is as simple as that.
    Is there a way to provide the ability for the individuals to acguire the needed emergent supplies that would also prevent them from inappropriate use? We have seen welfare fraud, food stamp fraud, debit card fraud, and now city officials stockpiling the relief items in their own homes (Storm Donations Found at Official's Home)
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...onations_hk2_2

    Evidently the reporter forgot to add the picture of the republican mascot planting the evidence in the home of the city official.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions