Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    now city officials stockpiling the relief items in their own homes (Storm Donations Found at Official's Home)
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...onations_hk2_2

    Evidently the reporter forgot to add the picture of the republican mascot planting the evidence in the home of the city official.
    the city official, Cedric Floyd, is part of a city administration (republican) which has been accused of pilfering money previously and insulting people who question them, here is a funny excerpt from this account of the city council proceedings:

    A verbal exchange two weeks ago came back with a vengeance at the end of Thursday's Kenner Council meeting, as Councilman Michael McMyne demanded an apology from CAO Cedric Floyd for an obscene insult.

    The original exchange, came during a hot discussion on questionable credit card charges by Mayor Phil Capitano and CAO Floyd, as McMyne sought documentation of the business reasons for the expenses. When McMyne called himself **** Tracy - repeating a term Floyd has used for him several times - Floyd responded with "D--kless Tracy."
    http://merijoe.blogspot.com/2005_08_...e_archive.html
  2. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    the city official, Cedric Floyd, is part of a city administration (republican) which has been accused of pilfering money previously and insulting people who question them, here is a funny excerpt from this account of the city council proceedings:



    http://merijoe.blogspot.com/2005_08_...e_archive.html
    I know, but the question I had was how to prevent the inappropriate use of donations. I was being sarcastic with the mascot joke, and the press not identifying party affiliation in the article.
  3. #23  
    Oh, OK well I guess I did the mascot painting for you on this one, I was not sure what you were driving at.

    Anyway, I am afraid that the FEMA card issue is not going to get addressed anyway by the GOP investigation. I think the GOP leadership has bigger fish to fry, on how to "recover" from the Katrina disaster:

    http://online.wsj.com/public/article...y&auid=1115431
  4. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Oh, OK well I guess I did the mascot painting for you on this one, I was not sure what you were driving at.

    Anyway, I am afraid that the FEMA card issue is not going to get addressed anyway by the GOP investigation. I think the GOP leadership has bigger fish to fry, on how to "recover" from the Katrina disaster:

    http://online.wsj.com/public/article...y&auid=1115431
    What I was trying to say without being blunt was that I do not think it was a bad republican idea to try to provide a cash equivalant to individuals. The individual chose to misuse the card, just as the individual chose to stock his house with relief items. Certain individuals (read generations of welfare receipiants, or political thiefs) will attemtpt to scam any situation the party in office at the time has no bearing on their action.

    The local and state Dems have a lot of frying to do also would you not say. My guess is that the local and state officials will not recover to the extent the feds will.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    My guess is that the local and state officials will not recover to the extent the feds will.
    Don't get me wrong, I will be glad to see the local officials who screwed up get what they deserve and I think you are right, the local/state officials will get slammed bigtime on this.

    But lets just be frank here, the major factor in who gets what they deserve, of course, is not actually who screwed up the most, it will be who has the political power to pull themselves out of this mess and who does not.

    When it comes to survival, it is in the GOP's strong interest to do everything they can to show how bad the locals were, in order to deflect their own blame. Local officials will not have any defense against the huge national GOP spin apparatus. Its like Arnold Schwarznagger and Peewee Herman fighting in the water for a single life preserver. Is it any wonder who will win?

    Throughout the GOP-led house hearings, the local officials faults will be maximized and the federal officials faults will be minimized and it will be repeated in talking points again and again and again for good measure. The president's plummetting approval ratings leaves no other options here.
  6. #26  
    We had this topic on another forum I frequent, and a girl that received one of the FEMA cards pointed out that everyone who was hit was eligible to receive a card. She said she wasnt at poverty level before the storm, she had and has savings and a job, which is how she is supporting herself. That said she still has to replace everything that she lost, clothes, tv's furniture etc. She said you cant go by the purchase to think that someone is "misusing" the card. They could simply be replacing what they lost before. Not to say this isnt happening, but it doesnt mean folx have starving kids at home while they are out on a shopping spree.

    That said these folx arent a bunch of angels. My sister is in Tx, she used to work for Houston PD, and now works at a correctional facility. She said everyday folx at the dome were offered a year of free rent, free utilities and a job. She said no one is signing up for it because they are used to being part of "the system". She said if they didnt have to evacuate them for the new hurricane that they were going to start evicting folx. She is also complaining about all the extra folx just roaming around, "doing nothing." I've been hearing complaints from other Texans saying they are changing the culture of the city. You cant help everybody but I hope the folx that do want a new start and want to do well for themselves can get the training and assistance they need to do so.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  7. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Don't get me wrong, I will be glad to see the local officials who screwed up get what they deserve and I think you are right, the local/state officials will get slammed bigtime on this.

    But lets just be frank here, the major factor in who gets what they deserve, of course, is not actually who screwed up the most, it will be who has the political power to pull themselves out of this mess and who does not.

    When it comes to survival, it is in the GOP's strong interest to do everything they can to show how bad the locals were, in order to deflect their own blame. Local officials will not have any defense against the huge national GOP spin apparatus. Its like Arnold Schwarznagger and Peewee Herman fighting in the water for a single life preserver. Is it any wonder who will win?

    Throughout the GOP-led house hearings, the local officials faults will be maximized and the federal officials faults will be minimized and it will be repeated in talking points again and again and again for good measure. The president's plummetting approval ratings leaves no other options here.
    Your assessment is probably very accurate. But, it would happen that way regardless of who controlled the white house and/or senate. My logic was that a locally elected official does not have any other source of votes. A national and to some extent even a state official will have the ability to offset any loss of votes in a different geographic area. Realistically by the next election most people will not consider how this was handled when they go to the poll, they will go down one column or the other Rebuplican or Democrat.
  8. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    We had this topic on another forum I frequent, and a girl that received one of the FEMA cards pointed out that everyone who was hit was eligible to receive a card. She said she wasnt at poverty level before the storm, she had and has savings and a job, which is how she is supporting herself. That said she still has to replace everything that she lost, clothes, tv's furniture etc. She said you cant go by the purchase to think that someone is "misusing" the card. They could simply be replacing what they lost before. Not to say this isnt happening, but it doesnt mean folx have starving kids at home while they are out on a shopping spree.

    That said these folx arent a bunch of angels. My sister is in Tx, she used to work for Houston PD, and now works at a correctional facility. She said everyday folx at the dome were offered a year of free rent, free utilities and a job. She said no one is signing up for it because they are used to being part of "the system". She said if they didnt have to evacuate them for the new hurricane that they were going to start evicting folx. She is also complaining about all the extra folx just roaming around, "doing nothing." I've been hearing complaints from other Texans saying they are changing the culture of the city. You cant help everybody but I hope the folx that do want a new start and want to do well for themselves can get the training and assistance they need to do so.
    UHHHH, who lost strippers? If you lost everything a purse that cost over $400 probably is not your most glaring need. So, yes in some cases it would be a pretty safe bet to go by the purchase to determine misuse of the card.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Realistically by the next election most people will not consider how this was handled when they go to the poll, they will go down one column or the other Rebuplican or Democrat.
    I agree, either party would exercise its political power in this way.

    You are also right in that the electorate is largely polarized and rigid.

    However a 2% swing of undecideds can make a huge difference in national elections.
  10. #30  
    If and when the scam arrtests are caught, they should get a new home, Federal Prison.
  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    If and when the scam arrtests are caught, they should get a new home, Federal Prison.
    How about a new job, hurricane test subjects. Put a rain guage on their nose, and a barometer on their backside and let them stand on the beach as the storm makes landfall.
  12. #32  
    That works too !
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions