Page 1 of 29 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 566
  1.    #1  
    Libbie Judge and Pledge

    Way to go! Bout time we got this commie tradition out of our schools!
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 09/14/2005 at 01:39 PM.
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Libbie Judge and Pledge

    Way to go! Bout time we got this commie tradition out of our schools!
    I bet it has something to do with the words "One nation under god". You think?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I bet it has something to do with the words "One nation under god". You think?
    Exactly we shouldn't push God on anybody. That whole God thing is a fad anyway.
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Exactly we shouldn't push God on anybody. That whole God thing is a fad anyway.
    A little snarky recently huh?
  5. #5  
    Perhaps we can switch to this:

    Introducing: The Freedom Pledge
    In time for Memorial Day, and intended for use every day, JPFO introduces The Freedom Pledge:

    I pledge my honor to the Bill of Rights, our precious national treasure.

    As the Bill is a fortress against tyranny, I will battle all tyrants.

    As the Bill protects liberty, I will live free.

    As the Bill guards rights born within all humanity, I will defend the freedoms of future generations.

    With my life, my words, and my daily deeds, with a vision of what can be, I honor all of the Bill of Rights for all mankind.
    Source: http://www.jpfo.org/alert20020522.htm
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Exactly we shouldn't push God on anybody. .
    That is right, it is not the task of the gov or schools to enforce religion or religious slogans onto kids..

    What would you do if they replaced 'god' with 'satan' would you still think that judge was a wrong?
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  7. #7  
    Oh dear. Those poor persecuted christians. When will that pesky Constitution leave them alone??!!?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    That is right, it is not the task of the gov or schools to enforce religion or religious slogans onto kids..

    What would you do if they replaced 'god' with 'satan' would you still think that judge was a wrong?
    Exactly! You got it right.

    And at the same time we should let the freedom fighters in Guantanimo practice their religion, with their pacifist religion.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Oh dear. Those poor persecuted christians. When will that pesky Constitution leave them alone??!!?
    Amen, my atheist brother!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    And at the same time we should let the freedom fighters in Guantanimo practice their religion, with their pacifist religion.
  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Oh dear. Those poor persecuted christians. When will that pesky Constitution leave them alone??!!?
    Can you give us a quick history lesson on where in the constitution it says there will be seperation of church and state?

    Or maybe you are referring to a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to the Babtist church leaders where he tried to reassure them there was not a move happening to have the gov't dictate religion to the people.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Can you give us a quick history lesson on where in the constitution it says there will be seperation of church and state?

    Or maybe you are referring to a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to the Babtist church leaders where he tried to reassure them there was not a move happening to have the gov't dictate religion to the people.

    Can o' worms alert!!!

    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  13. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Can o' worms alert!!!

    Yep, I keep me a big-ol can opener around for certain topics.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Can you give us a quick history lesson on where in the constitution it says there will be seperation of church and state?

    Or maybe you are referring to a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to the Babtist church leaders where he tried to reassure them there was not a move happening to have the gov't dictate religion to the people.
    I'm going to have to ask you to search before answering a question which has been repeatedly answered.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Oh dear. Those poor persecuted christians. When will that pesky Constitution leave them alone??!!?
    I read the brief item that was linked. I did not notice any reference to christians, persecuted or otherwise. To whom or what are you referring?
  16. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I'm going to have to ask you to search before answering a question which has been repeatedly answered.
    OK, I did as you requested. And, nope no statement in the costitution that states seperation of church and state. I am sure you like to refer to

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    OK, I did as you requested. And, nope no statement in the costitution that states seperation of church and state. I am sure you like to refer to

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
    I was referring to searching these boards as that topic has been covered ad nauseam here.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I read the brief item that was linked. I did not notice any reference to christians, persecuted or otherwise. To whom or what are you referring?

    I'm sure you're fully aware of the religious right's attempts to frame rational decisions like this and ones like the courthouse 10 commandments as persecutory to their particualr deist group.
  19. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I was referring to searching these boards as that topic has been covered ad nauseam here.
    That is where I got my post, these boards. You stated "When will that pesky Constitution leave them alone??!!?" I simply asked you to support that statement knowing full well you could not.
  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #20  
    Cardio: I direct you to this post.

    Source: Library of Congress


    Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists
    The Draft and Recently Discovered Text
    To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

    Gentlemen

    The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and, in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" thus building a wall of eternal separation between Church & State. Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from prescribing even those occasional performances of devotion, practiced indeed by the Executive of another nation as the legal head of its church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect,

    [Jefferson first wrote: "confining myself therefore to the duties of my station, which are merely temporal, be assured that your religious rights shall never be infringed by any act of mine and that." These lines he crossed out and then wrote: "concurring with"; having crossed out these two words, he wrote: "Adhering to this great act of national legislation in behalf of the rights of conscience"; next he crossed out these words and wrote: "Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience I shall see with friendly dispositions the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced that he has no natural rights in opposition to his social duties."]

    I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & the Danbury Baptist [your religious] association assurances of my high respect & esteem.

    Th Jefferson
    Jan. 1. 1802.

    http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9806/danpost.html
Page 1 of 29 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions