Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The President's acceptance of responsibility for the slow federal response and the subsequent views on this Katrina thread got me thinking...

Can we be made happy in bad situations?

I know that's a broad question, but let me give you some examples.

When Clinton was asked if he had ever smoked pot, he replied that he tried it but didn't inhale. Many folks (like me) suggested that he should have just owned up to it, said he tried it, and that many of us make mistakes when we're younger. I thought that would have been the best course of action but then I realized that he would get dogpiled for being a confessed pothead. Sometimes, you just can't win with some people.

The other day, I was commiserating with some co-workers about the upcoming changes in our department. "I'm probably gonna get stuck with xxxx." "Oh, yeah, I'm sure I'll get yyyy." Finally, I had to ask us (me included) "Is there anything they could tell you that would make you smile?" We had to confess that the answer was NO. We could not be made happy in the situation.

Last week, if you had asked most of America (who polls show are overwhelmingly dissatisfied with the Federal response to Katrina) if they wanted to see Brown resign and the President admit responsibility. I'm sure most of the critics would have said "Yeah! I'd love to see that! But, it'll never happen."

When we put down our hate lollipops for two seconds to contemplate actions isolated from their environment, can we actually be pleased?

Just wonderin'...
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think it is great that he admitted it, I just want to see what he is going to do with it. To show that he is taking charge and to START holding people accountable and not handing out awards.

And no you can't make all the people, happy all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think it is great that he admitted it, I just want to see what he is going to do with it. To show that he is taking charge and to START holding people accountable and not handing out awards.

And no you can't make all the people, happy all the time.
    Short of having himself incarcerated for life, what could Bush do to cause you to have even a glimmer of a shred of a thought of approval at any time?

What I think you're going to see is the power of the presidency unleashed in a way that had he done so before the storm hit would have had left wing moonbats screaming about the 10th Amendment and posse comitatus. Bush will rebound in the polls, and the naked politicization of this tragedy will haunt the Dems next November.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    The President's acceptance of responsibility for the slow federal response and the subsequent views on this Katrina thread got me thinking...

Can we be made happy in bad situations?

I know that's a broad question, but let me give you some examples.

When Clinton was asked if he had ever smoked pot, he replied that he tried it but didn't inhale. Many folks (like me) suggested that he should have just owned up to it, said he tried it, and that many of us make mistakes when we're younger. I thought that would have been the best course of action but then I realized that he would get dogpiled for being a confessed pothead. Sometimes, you just can't win with some people.

The other day, I was commiserating with some co-workers about the upcoming changes in our department. "I'm probably gonna get stuck with xxxx." "Oh, yeah, I'm sure I'll get yyyy." Finally, I had to ask us (me included) "Is there anything they could tell you that would make you smile?" We had to confess that the answer was NO. We could not be made happy in the situation.

Last week, if you had asked most of America (who polls show are overwhelmingly dissatisfied with the Federal response to Katrina) if they wanted to see Brown resign and the President admit responsibility. I'm sure most of the critics would have said "Yeah! I'd love to see that! But, it'll never happen."

When we put down our hate lollipops for two seconds to contemplate actions isolated from their environment, can we actually be pleased?

Just wonderin'...
    First I agree that your paragraph on "HEY EVERYBODY CLINTON IS A POTHEAD" is certainly a great way for us to more fully focus on the situation with Bush.

On that note, I just want to say I am so proud of Bush for coming clean on his week long load of BS about how great a job his people are doing. It would be so ingracious of me not to be completely impressed with that guy!

I am not pleased. Not until his haliburton cronies stop getting free money. Not until he gets out of his illegitimate war. Not until he admits he cheated his way into the Presidency in 2000. Not until he admits he cheated his way into the Presidency in 2004. Not until his oil buddies stop raking in the money and stop inflating gas prices. Not until he admits he dodged the draft. Not until he admits he is to blame for the hurricane because he alone is polluting the world. No I will never be satisfied until a Democrat is back in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I am not pleased. Not until his haliburton cronies stop getting free money. Not until he gets out of his illegitimate war. Not until he admits he cheated his way into the Presidency in 2000. Not until he admits he cheated his way into the Presidency in 2004. Not until his oil buddies stop raking in the money and stop inflating gas prices. Not until he admits he dodged the draft. Not until he admits he is to blame for the hurricane because he alone is polluting the world. No I will never be satisfied until a Democrat is back in office.
    no one sees the light as purely as the newly converted...

Welcome brother !!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Who passed you the crack pipe
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Who passed you the crack pipe
    Sounds like more people need to be taking a hit from that

100% Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherv
    Sounds like more people need to be taking a hit from that
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstright
    100% Correct
    Yep, Bush needs to come clean. He purposely murdered the Blacks and the poor in New Orleans to 'adjust' the percentage of democrats so Republicans can take future elections. He is so evil.

I read a reliable liberal blog that said Rove's people planted plastic explosives on the levees. This is the President we have right now.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    First I agree that your paragraph on "HEY EVERYBODY CLINTON IS A POTHEAD" is certainly a great way for us to more fully focus on the situation with Bush.

On that note, I just want to say I am so proud of Bush for coming clean on his week long load of BS about how great a job his people are doing. It would be so ingracious of me not to be completely impressed with that guy!

Thank you for helping to illustrate the point of my thread.

If you were to read again, you'd notice that I wanted to give three examples of how people could not be pleased in certain situations. I chose examples from both "sides of the aisle" to demonstrate that it is not just liberals or conservatives who are always blindly ticked off.

Example 1: I think if Clinton admitted a mistake (that I and most of America would have excused) he would be jumped on anyway by people who just couldn't find a way to accept him.
    Example 2: A bad work environment kept us from liking ANY good project.
    Example 3: Despite demanding resignations and acceptance of responsibility, many won't be happy when these events actually happen.

That hate lollipop must surely taste good to many.
    Bush kills 44 more people. This time elderly democrats.

"The discovery of at least 44 bodies in an abandoned hospital in New Orleans raised new questions about the response to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday as President George W. Bush took full responsibility for government failures in handling the disaster. "

killa bush
  13.    #13  
    I loved this line:

"Rescuers found the corpses at the Memorial Medical Center on Monday, the same day Bush toured the city."

Coincidence??? This puts the killer in the same town at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    I loved this line:

"Rescuers found the corpses at the Memorial Medical Center on Monday, the same day Bush toured the city."

Coincidence??? This puts the killer in the same town at the same time!
    They should of arrested him.
    They should of arrested him.

755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I was going to raise a similar topic, but from the perspective of polarization. Even just viewing the exchanges on the TC forum, it appears that everything is viewed through political lenses. Every detail is slanted right or left, pro this or con that.

I hope we realize soon that united we will stand, but divided we will fall (with a great big THUD, much to the delight of our enemies who can not defeat us, but would love to see us defeat ourselves)

Consider, even if you absolutely LOATHE George W. Bush, can you at least have honor for the office? If you have had your fill of [insert public official from the other side of the aisle], can't you at least have respect for the position of authority?

Is it really worth it to see the whole country sink, just as long as your party is "on top"?
    With Hurricane Ophelia, it is proving a bit harder for Bush and Rove to hit only the blue counties. Heard from a reliable liberal blog haliburton cronies are making blacks and the poor people stay on the beaches.

For the record, Clinton is not a pothead.

He is a womanizing pothead.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    For the record, Clinton is not a pothead.

He is a womanizing pothead.
    Stop hating on Clinton. He just portrayed the typical american.
    Nah, I don't hate Clinton. I'm jealous!
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast