1.    #1  
    I was just browsing Phone Scoop and the appearance of many new camera phones prompted me to wonder about the future of camera phones.

The new digital (non-phone) cameras are getting very compact while maintaining some pretty high resolution and lens quality. Camera phones are increasing in popularity and now include flashes, however I haven't noticed a very rapid increase in resolution or lens quality, undoubtedly due to keeping the cost/prices of camera phones down.

After a few months, I am now starting to remember that I have a camera with me at all times (with my 650, of course) and I'm finding it more and more convenient.

I'd personally like to see a 3+ megapixel on the Treo in the future, although I realize others may not want to pay the premium for this. I suspect as the costs of higher quality lenses and chips decrease, we will see camera phone quality increses.

I wonder if the entry-level digital camera manufactures are getting concerned.

Where's this thing going?

Any thoughts, feelings, observations, or hunches?

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    I was just browsing Phone Scoop and the appearance of many new camera phones prompted me to wonder about the future of camera phones.

The new digital (non-phone) cameras are getting very compact while maintaining some pretty high resolution and lens quality. Camera phones are increasing in popularity and now include flashes, however I haven't noticed a very rapid increase in resolution or lens quality, undoubtedly due to keeping the cost/prices of camera phones down.

After a few months, I am now starting to remember that I have a camera with me at all times (with my 650, of course) and I'm finding it more and more convenient.

I'd personally like to see a 3+ megapixel on the Treo in the future, although I realize others may not want to pay the premium for this. I suspect as the costs of higher quality lenses and chips decrease, we will see camera phone quality increses.

I wonder if the entry-level digital camera manufactures are getting concerned.

Where's this thing going?

Any thoughts, feelings, observations, or hunches?

-jeff
    I'd be happy with a 1.3 mexapixel camera in the next Treo. The problem with a higher resolution camera is storage space- and sending photos via MMS (usually 0.3 limit?)

I seriously doubt that the next Treo will have a flash. From what I can gather a flash on current mobile phones is hardly worth using- a decent one would probably impact the battery life too much any way.

So my feelings generally on the future of camera phones (say in next 18 months):

Resolution will be about 2.0MP as standard. Removable memory (i.e. SD cards etc) will become standard with the higher resolutions.

Some high end phones will have 5.0 MP with optical zooms/ flashes. These phones will have small hard drives to accommodate photos and videos.

New battery technologies are being developed see New Scientist with the advent of these, "proper" flashes for camera phones will become more wide spread.
    Last edited by Hicks; 09/13/2005 at 02:57 PM.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    My opinions are Here. I guess some, maybe even most people love the idea of cell phone cameras, but there are other functions I would prefer them to work on/add before the camera.

I'm sure the resolutions will rise with advancements, but I don't think I'll ever pick one phone over another, or even do away with a camera over this feature.
    Last edited by Insertion; 09/13/2005 at 02:26 PM. Reason: edited link to specific post
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    My opinions are Here. I guess some, maybe even most people love the idea of cell phone cameras, but there are other functions I would prefer them to work on/add before the camera.
    Preach on, brother.

Most of the time, I don't even remember my Treo has a "camera" in it. I'd rather have a stable, multitasking OS with a lot memory and the add-ons I've had to buy built into it.
    I'm back!
  5.    #5  
    I certainly wouldn't want a better camera in place of improved or enhanced functionality, only in a addtion to.

Every thing in life (at least in electronics) is a trade off though.

I'd use the camera alot more than I do if the quality was a bit better; probably the same is true for many people with camera phones, especially those who use them for work (ie realtors, quality inspectors, auto dealers, etc.)

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    Every thing in life (at least in electronics) is a trade off though.
    True, this is why I can think of at least a half dozen other things I'd rather have than a better camera.

That being said, you're right, I'd probably use it more if it took better pics.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    True, this is why I can think of at least a half dozen other things I'd rather have than a better camera.

That being said, you're right, I'd probably use it more if it took better pics.
    I use it in unanticapated ways and I'm glad its there.
    I'd find it even more useful if its quality were better.

But even as it is, under the "right" conditions, that camera does a surprisingly good job:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25516190156.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25516195350.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25516230815.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25516233618.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25516235440.jpg&s=x1

(taken at the request of a fireman)

I could link video to its video, which is o.k. as well
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2005 at 06:08 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I personally like the fact that the Treo has a camera and think it would be a major defect if it didn't have one. I also want to the Treo to have a better camera, especially for low light conditions. I aways carry my Treo with me and I would prefer to use it more often as my main camera instead of having to carry another device all the time. Thus I would love a Flash enabled Treo with at least 2MP. That would be ideal imo, but I don;t know how realistic that is with out more integrated Nand storage like the T5 etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I love camera phones. Unfortunately they've sucked up until now. Now that there are 2 and 3MP phones, there's a lot of potential. My next non-smartphone will be the K750. 2MP with autofocus is appealing to me. I don't always have my normal camera, but I always have my cell phone. I really hope the next Treo has a much better camera in it.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836