Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Allegedly per CNN...but I'm getting this second hand.
  2. #2  
    Local Fox affiliate just reported as well
  3.    #3  
    It is going to be well and truly on in DC this year. Well and truly.
  4. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Local Fox affiliate just reported as well
    shopharim -- you know this was coming:

    "I think "saved" souls are about be called to heaven -- and we atheists are to be doomed to eternal damnation --

    because yo, the Apocalypse has arrived !!!"
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    shopharim -- you know this was coming:

    "I think "saved" souls are about be called to heaven -- and we atheists are to be doomed to eternal damnation --

    because yo, the Apocalypse has arrived !!!"
    Then, friend Barye, why don't you get saved and "save" yourself the trouble of a trip going down??? Don't cost nothin'!

    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Then, friend Barye, why don't you get saved and "save" yourself the trouble of a trip going down??? Don't cost nothin'!


    I suppose I wish that people would concentrate on doing good in the here and now, and then "the hereafter" would take care of its self -- whether it be a golden Heaven with St. Peter, or Golden arches with MacDonalds; whether it be 44 overweight islamic virgins, or dust feeding the fruit of a tree ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    shopharim -- you know this was coming:

    "I think "saved" souls are about be called to heaven -- and we atheists are to be doomed to eternal damnation --

    because yo, the Apocalypse has arrived !!!"
    Barye, you never disappoint your fans
  8. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I suppose I wish that people would concentrate on doing good in the here and now, and then "the hereafter" would take care of its self -- whether it be a golden Heaven with St. Peter, or Golden arches with MacDonalds; whether it be 44 overweight islamic virgins, or dust feeding the fruit of a tree ...
    No reason you can't get saved and THEN do good stuff down here. It'll only take a couple of moments and then "the hereafter" is all taken care of.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Barye, you never disappoint your fans

    I've got fans ?? moi ??? I've got FANS ???!!


    KEEP THEM BEHIND THE ROPE !!!!
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/03/2005 at 11:39 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    No reason you can't get saved and THEN do good stuff down here. It'll only take a couple of moments and then "the hereafter" is all taken care of.

    my observation is that it paradoxically works the opposite of that.

    A LOT of evil is perpetrated by those convinced that they are especially atuned to the tonque of god --

    comfortable in that sense of comfort and confidence that came with their becoming one of the special, the select, the saved.

    The modesty that is a part of not knowing is a value for all of us to aspire to I think. It grants us tolerance for those who may not know better -- but know differently...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. #12  
    I am surprised that Rehnquist stayed on until his death (I am assuming he knew that the thyroid cancer was going to take his life).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  12.    #13  
    A lot of evil is perpetrated by those convinced that mortal men are the be all and end all.

    Pays your money, takes you chances. Bottom line is that there are competing value sets.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    A lot of evil is perpetrated by those convinced that mortal men are the be all and end all.

    Pays your money, takes you chances. Bottom line is that there are competing value sets.

    indeed, we both do know differently -- and we can both tolerate the other...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    A LOT of evil is perpetrated by those convinced that they are especially atuned to the tonque of god --
    In Russia during the cold war years, A lot of evil has been perpetrated by those convinced they had to have the swish on their tongue of their shoes or Levis tag on their **** and have killed for a Nike and Levi pair. That does not make Nike or Levi evil because they used their name to commit evil. In fact I bet the majority of people who believe in and use Nike and wear Levi jeans are peaceful loving people who would do anything to help you out if you were in need.

    People in history and today have used all sorts of claimed reasons to commit murder, rape, plunder, steal, declare war, lie, cheat, or commit terrorist acts. They may claim it in the name of their country, their clan, their religion, or in the brand of their breakfast cerial...whatever it takes to hide the true motives of greed, revenge, bloodthirst, to gain power, or to take land. If you say you would deny religion because some have abused it's name then you could follow that logic and say that you will not seek money because so many wars have been fought in it's name, you will not own land because so much evil has been done in it's name, you will not claim any citizen ship because of so much corruption with gov.

    Or simply put.....just because a few have used religion as an excuse to mask their true intentions you really shouldn't let their morals dictate your own judgement and decisions.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    indeed, we both do know differently -- and we can both tolerate the other...
    Isn't that just code for "Ignore List"?
  16. #17  
    Hobbes: "Or simply put.....just because a few have used religion as an excuse to mask their true intentions you really shouldn't let their morals dictate your own judgement and decisions."

    Good point! (However the next question seems to be "Where do you get your OWN morals and judgements?" ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    In Russia during the cold war years, A lot of evil has been perpetrated by those convinced they had to have the swish on their tongue of their shoes or Levis tag on their **** and have killed for a Nike and Levi pair. That does not make Nike or Levi evil because they used their name to commit evil. In fact I bet the majority of people who believe in and use Nike and wear Levi jeans are peaceful loving people who would do anything to help you out if you were in need.

    People in history and today have used all sorts of claimed reasons to commit murder, rape, plunder, steal, declare war, lie, cheat, or commit terrorist acts. They may claim it in the name of their country, their clan, their religion, or in the brand of their breakfast cerial...whatever it takes to hide the true motives of greed, revenge, bloodthirst, to gain power, or to take land. If you say you would deny religion because some have abused it's name then you could follow that logic and say that you will not seek money because so many wars have been fought in it's name, you will not own land because so much evil has been done in it's name, you will not claim any citizen ship because of so much corruption with gov.

    Or simply put.....just because a few have used religion as an excuse to mask their true intentions you really shouldn't let their morals dictate your own judgement and decisions.
    maybe we agree on this Hobbes -- If you are saying that whatever we do, we are responsible -- not some mysterious superforce.

    The responsibility for the good or evil that people do, is within themselves.

    Though my parents are religious, I independently followed my own path. I questioned even the idea of a god at age 7.

    As a young man I would mock religion and those that believed. And my then significant religious knowledge made me a formidable adversary for those attempting to "save" me -- particularly potential girl friends.

    As sport, I could confound and sow doubt into even the most fervent absolute believer.

    But I did not play that game long, and as I went to college and came to understand my own weaknesses and fears, and to have a sense of appreciation for those of others, I stopped attempting to convert people to be doubters and skeptics like me.

    During my freshman year in college my internal philosophical arc continued on its own very radical trajectory - when I began to study (among many other influences) Dostoevski and Kurasawa. Their works had considerable effect on me.

    Without boring you all much more, I discovered that the philosophical insights that I had were not unique to the 18yr. old me - and that there were alternate paths that a life could follow.

    But it was clear that my path would not be right for most others. Most people are far happier and comfortable - and behave better - when there is a moral superforce directing their lives.

    A doubting skeptical life is not one that I advocate - but it is one that is inescapable for those of a certain intellectual bent.

    I confess though, in genuine honesty, that I often envy the certainty of the zealous believer.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/04/2005 at 02:34 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. #19  
    It is wise to be skeptical, provided the skepticism is a means to an end rather than an end itself. There are those who are raise questions for the sake of questioning rather than for the sake of learning. They enjoy stirring up the pot, but never seem to cook anything.

    With diligent inquiry, I believe you would find that the historic christian faith (not necessarily the religious practices and traditions of those called "christians") is most accurate in terms of characterizing the condition of Man and Man's surroundings, and is most thorough in providing a solution that is life-affirming in both a temporal and eternal manner.

    The God of the Bible, is not a catch-all for the unexplainable, but rather the very personal author and finisher of both the explainable and the unexplainable, and the as yet unattainable.

    The historic christian faith is an intellectual one. Was Rhenquist, an intellectual, a believer? I don't know. But that reference makes my post on topic
  19. #20  
    I visited the former chief justice "In State" while at the Supreme Court building yesterday. There was a small line of people. As it was early, there were probably family and friends there (alot of weeping people). I heard that his funeral is today.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions