Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 116 of 116
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The problem is that entertainers and other celebrities think we value the opinions.
    They probably value yours as much as you do theirs.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Woof: I thought you weren't going to play anymore? ;-)

    "I can logically assume that you are saying I need to think more about the impact of my statements before I make them because of their potential impact. Nope, sorry. Not gonna do it. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it, oh well."

    I did actually mean all of us. But as you pointed out..its just your opinion...I can appreciate it but it is not really substantiated with any proof.

    Really what you just said is that you are NOT going to think about what you say...you'll just throw it out there. You are correct...you can do that ;-)

    You pointed out that you got upset when 'I twist your words'. I was able to use what you have said to bolster my arguments because I don't think that you have thought out the implications. <--this is just my opinion.
    Implications?? WTF are you talking about. My OPINION has implications? I never said I wasnt going to think about what I say. I voiced my opinion. Gee maybe now I am the racist because I think that racism didnt happen huh?

    "Again since you dont like my position, I can logically assume that youre hoping my opnion will change if I really think it out and discuss it with you. Wrong again."

    It's not that I don't like your opinion. I think this all started when you made comments to the effect of race could NOT have been a factor and should not be brought up. I argued that it COULD be a factor. Are you not putting your opinion out there in the hopes that someone will at least concede that your argument has some merit...or do you not care?
    I didnt say race COULD NOT have been a factor. I was saying why suspect that it was. Why does there have to be some negative factor involved that just targets one particular group? why does there have to be some big whitey conspiracy. Cant you just accept that the whole system is f'ed up and EVERYONE in NO is suffering regardless of race? Why must you look for a motive when it could just be circumstance? That was my point. It could have been a factor but if the only reason to suspect it was is because a majority of the effected population is black, well then we could cry racism when a wide reciever is tackled really hard in the NFL, because most of them are black.

    "Why should I change my opinion to suit you? The race card is inappropriate here. If NO was predominantly white and nothing about the refilef effort was different no one would be crying racism, they'd just be saying the govt is slow and ineffective. Race would not be mentioned"

    I think you are right about that...and if so, why would that be? Is it because of the fact that a majority of the people in power (executive, legistlative and judicial branches) are predominantly white? I mean, how often do you see white people being discriminatory against other whites? Of course no one would bring up the race card then.
    You just dont get it. Again why does there have to be a racial motive? WHy cant you accept that the response was just screwed up and slow? Oh because the affected group is mostly black and of course everyone hates blacks so it MUST be racism. I'll say it again. Why go looking for ghosts when there just as likely arent any? Why must it be racism? Why not just bad luck? Or maybe blacks dont have bad luck, they just have mistreatment from whites?

    Get over yourself. Racism wont end until everyone stops trying to make it the reason for bad stuff happening to someone. Saying the predominently white establishment is persecuting blacks is no different than saying blacks steal everything and latinos are lazy. Racial stereotypes are bad for everyone. Youre perpetuating it just as much as anyone practicing it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Why go looking for ghosts when there just as likely arent any? Why must it be racism? Why not just bad luck? Or maybe blacks dont have bad luck, they just have mistreatment from whites?

    Get over yourself. Racism wont end until everyone stops trying to make it the reason for bad stuff happening to someone. Saying the predominently white establishment is persecuting blacks is no different than saying blacks steal everything and latinos are lazy. Racial stereotypes are bad for everyone. Youre perpetuating it just as much as anyone practicing it.
    Woof

    If you live in a haunted house then you should watch out for ghosts.
    If you walk through a crime ridden neighborhood, regardless of the race who lives there, you should keep your eyes out for criminals.
    Things will never get better by "just not bringing it up".
    Why do you feel bringing up racism perpetuates racism?
    You acknowledged the fact that it could be just because our government is screwed up. You also acknowledged the fact that it could have been race related.
    Why is it ok to bring up one view point and not the other? Using your rational, saying that our government is screwed up will only perpetuate a more screwed up government. But maybe you feel that everyone is smart enough to listen to that viewpoint, assess it, and come to their own conclusion.
    But as far as race, perhaps you are implying that "blacks" are not smart enough to make their own decisions and anything that is said they will believe, so we better not bring up race or every African american in the country will be outraged. They are not all that ignorant but you speak as if you believe they are.

    In every situation, all viewpoints should be discussed. We have free will. Some will agree and some will disagree. But under no circumstance should any dialogue, or ones opinion be swept under the rug.
  4. #104  
    Here in Texas, BEFORE the hurricane, as a caucasian, I am a minority.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    They probably value yours as much as you do theirs.
    Not true, our opinion ends up being their bottom line..
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The problem is that entertainers and other celebrities think we value the opinions.
    I think the bigger problem is some people do value their opinions
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Not true, our opinion ends up being their bottom line..
    Clarify please.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Not true, our opinion ends up being their bottom line..
    Definitely true in terms of number of records sold...
    Oh... I meant CD's.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Clarify please.
    Case in point, Dixie Chicks.
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Case in point, Dixie Chicks.
    Are you referring to sales?
  11. #111  
    Their whole world was rocked because of their negative comments at the Sept 11th. They were booed off stage, booed and various award shows and they couldn’t give away a CD at that time.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Implications?? WTF are you talking about. My OPINION has implications?
    The implications are that you end up contradicting yourself. Case in point: on post #57, you state "The reason things didnt move faster has nothing to do with race." And then in this post, you say: "I didnt say race COULD NOT have been a factor." So which is it? Could race have been a factor or not? My argument is simply that it could have and if someone brings up the race question, then lets look to see if it has any validity before quickly dismissing it (or saying that it is offensive).

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I was saying why suspect that it was.
    This statement seems to indicate that you (or anyone else) knows what it 'was' (meaning you know that it was not racism.) We don't know that. Questions are being raised as to what took so long for the aid to get there...what would motivate the decision to get aid there any quicker or slower?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Why does there have to be some negative factor involved that just targets one particular group? why does there have to be some big whitey conspiracy. Cant you just accept that the whole system is f'ed up and EVERYONE in NO is suffering regardless of race? Why must you look for a motive when it could just be circumstance? That was my point.
    That is a fair point...but that is like saying "Accept what you see and don't question what might look suspicious." I question a lot of things (as I suspect you and anyone might). I think we are getting to some middle ground if we both agree that there is a possibility that the decision to send aid could *possibly have been racially or economically motivated but when its all said and done, it probably wasnt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    It could have been a factor but if the only reason to suspect it was is because a majority of the effected population is black, well then we could cry racism when a wide reciever is tackled really hard in the NFL, because most of them are black.
    I am not sure if your analogy is really appropriate since most football players consent to being tackled and the last time I checked, minorities don't consent to be discriminated against...but I do see your point if what you are saying that its not *likely that racism was the factor in determining aid and when to send it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    You just dont get it. Again why does there have to be a racial motive? WHy cant you accept that the response was just screwed up and slow? Oh because the affected group is mostly black and of course everyone hates blacks so it MUST be racism. I'll say it again. Why go looking for ghosts when there just as likely arent any? Why must it be racism? Why not just bad luck? Or maybe blacks dont have bad luck, they just have mistreatment from whites?
    Why do you keep saying that I am claiming that there HAS to be a racial motive? On post #76 I said "I am not saying it has to be race...I am only pointing out that it could be a possibility." This discussion might go a little better if you actually read my posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Get over yourself. Racism wont end until everyone stops trying to make it the reason for bad stuff happening to someone.
    'Get over yourself'? I am not sure how you want me to respond to that. It doesnt appear to add anything to our discussion. Racism won't end until we educate people on its dangers and when people choose not to discriminate...its 'end' has nothing to do with people having to limit their speech about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Saying the predominently white establishment is persecuting blacks is no different than saying blacks steal everything and latinos are lazy. Racial stereotypes are bad for everyone. Youre perpetuating it just as much as anyone practicing it.
    First off, I brought up the fact that a majority of people in power are white to show how people would not say there was racism involved if this same disaster happened in a white area. Second, I am not perpetuating it by discussing it in an open forum...putting the blinders on (even if the problem might not be there) doesnt perpetuate the problem...it sheds light on it so we can address it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    Tony

    You must want to voice your opinion or you would not have mentioned it.
    So i will prompt you to voice it.
    I can take it, i am a big boy.

    Nice bike by the way.
    Be careful on that thing, i almost died on one...
    And i blame it on white folks!!
    (just kidding of course, it was my own stupidity...)

    By the way... who is Shayne?
    No thanks.

    Shayne is the ***** who made a fool of himself on TV in front of millions of people when he should have been supporting a charitable cause.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    well i dont have a timemachine, and far as being racist thats up to you, but i could hit ya on the head if ya like
    Naw please don't hit me in the head!

    Your post brings up an awful past that is so foreign and disgusting I hate to see it. I think it is counter-productive to fabricate George Bush as a racist or white people in general act in racism. Can African Americans really make forward strides by constantly accusing and utilizing the race card? It seems when this happens it is more trying to gain respect by trying to be the victim. When I see an abuse of this I actually LOSE respect for the individual. Some outstanding examples are Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They often say things that border on reverse racism. This is never mentioned by a white person because if it were - they would then be stamped as a racist.
  15. #115  
    ATM Well put!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  16. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Naw please don't hit me in the head!

    Your post brings up an awful past that is so foreign and disgusting I hate to see it. I think it is counter-productive to fabricate George Bush as a racist or white people in general act in racism. Can African Americans really make forward strides by constantly accusing and utilizing the race card? It seems when this happens it is more trying to gain respect by trying to be the victim. When I see an abuse of this I actually LOSE respect for the individual. Some outstanding examples are Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They often say things that border on reverse racism. This is never mentioned by a white person because if it were - they would then be stamped as a racist.

    hear! hear!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions