Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 116
  1. #81  
    franko515, I appreciate your post. no one doubts the horrible manners in which african-americans were treated in those times. out and out, truly horrible.

    I realize that is what parents much teach their children about regarding their heritage and that it is painful. what I want to emphasize, though, is all that horrible treatment.... is in the past. gone forever.


    that type of victimization was part of and left behind in the times of the 1700's NEVER TO RETURN. period. we all know this.


    that is what the children have to know - going FORWARD. yes that was a terrible part of history but not part of the present day or the future.

    let's live in the present & regard ourselves with the concerns of today, enjoy the rights and liberties and opportunities of present-day, and not with the terrible victimizations of the past.

    while knowledge of it is essential, dwelling on it is destructive, for everyone.
    did you read my post or just skim

    from my post

    In my bag here, I have a fool proof method for controlling Black Slaves. I guarantee everyone of you that if installed correctly, it will control the slaves for at least 300 years. My method is simple and members of your family and any Overseer can use it.
    I shall assure you that distrust is stronger than trust and envy is stronger than adulation, respect and admiration.
    The Black Slave, after receiving this indoctrination, shall carry on and will become self-refueling and self-generation for hundreds of years, maybe thousands

    Gentlemen, these Kits are keys to control, use them. Have your wives and children use them, never miss an opportunity. My plan is guaranteed and the good thing about this plan is that if used intensely for one year the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  2. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #82  
    "the struggle to "succeed" as a poor black person in america is 100 times more difficult than most other americans. "


    especially if the black person is being told by other black people repeatedly that it will be 100x more difficult for them to succeed than other americans.

    we are all endowed equally. with the same god-given rights. one race should not let its past get in the way of its progress moving forward, longstrider.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  3. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #83  
    frank0515, come on now.. I DID read your entire post.

    it highlights a method of creating distrust among slaves based on differences and growing envy and fear among slaves , which is a stronger control technique than praise or adulation.

    I stand by what I said. using different methods to control black slaves was despicable. why do you think I would have just "skimmed" over your post?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    frank0515, come on now.. I DID read your entire post.

    it highlights a method of creating distrust among slaves based on differences and growing envy and fear among slaves , which is a stronger control technique than praise or adulation.

    I stand by what I said. using different methods to control black slaves was despicable. why do you think I would have just "skimmed" over your post?
    i didnt know if you skimmed or not, so i decided to ask . i see now that you read the entire post, we just have a difference of opinion
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Willie Lynch's Speech On His Methods For Controlling Slaves 1712
    I'll remember that if I am hit on the head, become a racist and put in a time machine back 296 years ago.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    frank0515, come on now.. I DID read your entire post.

    it highlights a method of creating distrust among slaves based on differences and growing envy and fear among slaves , which is a stronger control technique than praise or adulation.

    I stand by what I said. using different methods to control black slaves was despicable. why do you think I would have just "skimmed" over your post?
    VW

    You are looking at the world through rose colored glasses.
    I know that you feel that what you have said is rational and well thought out.
    Unfortunately, the destruction of the Psyche does not a rational person make.

    If you are going skiing and have no idea how difficult each slope is, going down the wrong one could be detrimental to ones health.
    Minorities can not close there eyes to the fact that it is 100x harder to succeed. Acknowleding that in no way indicates that you have to live as a victim. It is the poor kids who have it thrust upon them with no one to explain it to them that are completely confused and end up hating themselves. Again, i appreciate your arguments but what you are saying is opinion. What i am saying is fact. I have lived it and watched others around me live it. I have been pulled over on several occasions because I drive an expensive car. My son, and any other childs life that i can touch, will have every opportunity to succeed because they will know and understand the challenges they are up against. Once again, knowledge does not have to include hate. The one point I agree with Wolf on is the fact that i will judge people by their character first. But to not admit that in many instances the cards are stacked against you as a minority, really is ignorant. And i mean that in the true sense of the word and not as an insult.

    Discrimination exists. Discrimination against the poor, against minorities, against woman, in some industries against tall or short people. It is a fact of life. Do you think Danny Devito didnt know his chances of being a movie star were slim to none? But he overcame any odds he was faced with. Thats what this life is all about, being perceptive enough to understand what you are faced with, but not defeated by it. That way you can formulate a plan to succeed. In every business plan i have ever written, you have to be honest about the aspects that could be stumbling blocks. You cant hide from the truth or you will fail. That is why race relations in so many areas of this country fail... because people want to hide from the truth.
  7. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #87  
    "But he overcame any odds he was faced with. Thats what this life is all about, being perceptive enough to understand what you are faced with, but not defeated by it. That way you can formulate a plan to succeed. "


    - longstrider


    you've just repeated exactly what I've already said, longstrider in an earlier post regarding overcoming challenges to succeed, and letting NO ONE discourage you from it. those were my words exactly..

    shouldn't african-americans be taking this advice? being perceptive enough to know what you're up against and formulating a plan to succeed?

    life is about difficulty. for EVERYONE. we all must deal with it in life successfully in order to become successful. sure, it may be harder for some than others, but when has that ever been a valid excuse to stop trying and simply live in the status quo?

    if that were the rule which anything in the wild lived by, would they be successful?

    look, I understand that minorities are faced with more challenges. I realize they are fighting stereotypes which others are not battling. I know that growing up in a poor household as a black american is very very difficult, especially when they are being led by leaders who seem to reinforce the very problem we are all trying to overcome.

    sure, we acknowledge that they have challenges, but which is more of an ignorant path, longstrider?

    1) actively doing something within the black community to setup POSITIVE role models showing people they can become an achiever.

    2) stay in the status quo, repeat to each generation that they are hopeless, with no chances of being equal with the whites, reinforce their current insecurities and simply continue on trudging through society as they are?


    if you'd like to say I'm looking at it all through rose-colored glasses or that I'm ignorant, you're perogative. I'd like to acknowledge and move on here, wouldn't you?
    again do britain, spain or any other EUROPEAN countries have the same problems with their black communities?
    Last edited by vw2002; 09/05/2005 at 09:26 PM.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am not saying it has to be race...I am only pointing out that it could be a possibility (and it didnt require a lot of sun to see it )

    Its not just that NO is 60% african american. (I guess you didnt read the whole analysis ). And I didnt say that it was the only possibility just that it is A possibility. Check out the story concerning the problems of having FEMA under Homeland Security.

    Why the strawman argument...would the Pres. have to say that to convince you that there might be a possibility of racism? If so, you just might be a 'true believer'. And the fact that Pres. Bush declared it a disaster 2 days prior to the hurricane only goes to the issue that the federal government had a head start and could have had relief there even quicker if it chose to.

    I am probably hoping for another Katrina disaster with 1000's of people dying? Now I know you are reaching.

    I guess you missed the point. Iraq and NO are not apples and oranges if the point of comparison is whether your subjective value of discussion about each is a waste of time.

    I guess you are missing my point. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE ONLY REASON THAT THE RESPONSE WAS SLOW WAS BECAUSE OF RACE (are you sure I am the one getting too much sun?) I am only pointing out that for the people who have made this argument, its not that unrealistic based on the actual responses and actions of the federal government. You seem to be making the argument that its impossible and for anyone to say anything like that, you find it offensive.

    I am not making that argument...but the fact that you could point that out speaks volumes (and I would not be surprised to see other people draw the same conclusion).

    Ok so for those minority of cases where its not an excuse (notice you said 'many') then you are ok with it? You do recognize that it happens right?

    I am not sure what million dollar rappers have to do with the timing of the decision to provide aid to Katrina victims but ok, I much more at ease that you look at character and not skin color .

    Actually, I can see both sides of the argument, therefore it would follow that my mind is more 'open' than yours.

    I am not going to debate this with you any longer. Your ability to "view things from both sides" is amazing and wonderful, however your tendency to try to twist what am saying into something else is aggravating. I am not going to give the additional opportunity to twist my words.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  9. #89  
    Props to Franko. A credit to his race (the human one, hehe). I don't think I should voice my opinion of Longstrider. . .

    Anyways, all Shayne did was make his race look bad. What an *****.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I'll remember that if I am hit on the head, become a racist and put in a time machine back 296 years ago.
    well i dont have a timemachine, and far as being racist thats up to you, but i could hit ya on the head if ya like
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    But he overcame any odds he was faced with. Thats what this life is all about, being perceptive enough to understand what you are faced with, but not defeated by it. That way you can formulate a plan to succeed. "

    you've just repeated exactly what I've already said, longstrider in an earlier post regarding overcoming challenges to succeed, and letting NO ONE discourage you from it. those were my words exactly..

    shouldn't african-americans should be taking this advice? being perceptive enough to know what you're up against and formulating a plan to succeed?

    life is about difficulty. for EVERYONE. we all must deal with it in life successfully in order to become successful. sure, it may be harder for some than others, but when has that ever been a valid excuse to stop trying and simply live in the status quo?

    if that were the rule which anything in the wild lived by, would they be successful?

    look, I understand that minorities are faced with more challenges. I realize they are fighting stereotypes which others are not battling. I know that growing up in a poor household as a black american is very very difficult, especially when they are being led by leaders who seem to reinforce the very problem we are all trying to overcome.

    sure, we acknowledge that they have challenges, but which is more of an ignorant path, longstrider?

    1) actively doing something within the black community to setup POSITIVE role models showing people they can become an achiever.

    2) stay in the status quo, repeat to each generation that they are hopeless, with no chances of being equal with the whites, reinforce their current insecurities and simply continue on trudging through society as they are?


    if you'd like to say I'm looking at it all through rose-colored glasses or that I'm ignorant, you're perogative. I'd like to acknowledge and move on here, wouldn't you?
    again do britain, spain or any other EUROPEAN countries have the same problems with their black communities?
    Understood.

    Then you and I are on the same page.
    Acknowledge, be aware and move on.
    I agree totally.

    Everything you said is what i have said in every post i have made on the matter. It seems as if we are at the same place but from different directions. My calling you ignorant was based on the fact that i assumed you did not even acknowledge that there are issues minorities have to deal with that others do not. It appears as if i was wrong in assuming that.

    Positive role models and people in the community is the only thing that can help. But to gain ones respect you have to be honest with them. It is necessary to acknowledge... but agreed then it is time to face the issues and move forward.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Props to Franko. A credit to his race (the human one, hehe). I don't think I should voice my opinion of Longstrider. . .

    Anyways, all Shayne did was make his race look bad. What an *****.
    Tony

    You must want to voice your opinion or you would not have mentioned it.
    So i will prompt you to voice it.
    I can take it, i am a big boy.

    Nice bike by the way.
    Be careful on that thing, i almost died on one...
    And i blame it on white folks!!
    (just kidding of course, it was my own stupidity...)

    By the way... who is Shayne?
    Last edited by Longstrider; 09/05/2005 at 12:03 PM.
  13. #93  
    Woof: It was not my intention to aggrevate you (and I mean that). This is just a general statement-->Sometimes when we say something, we don't think about its implications. If we really think it out (and discuss it with others), sometimes we can
    reach a different conclusion.

    Tonylmiller: "Anyways, all Shayne did was make his race look bad. What an *****."

    Tony, are you talking about Kayne West (?), if so, how did he make his race look bad? Does he speak for all African Americans? I don't think everyone believes his statements on Pres. Bush.
    Last edited by t2gungho; 09/05/2005 at 04:05 PM.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Anyways, all Shayne did was make his race look bad. What an *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Tony, are you talking about Kayne West (?), if so, how did he make his race look bad? Does he speak for all African Americans? I don't think everyone believes his statements on Pres. Bush.
    This is an example of the problem.
    Judge people by their character and dont make group generalizations.
    Kanye West is certainly not a mouth piece on my behalf.
    And i am not ashamed of what he said. He is one man, i am another.
  15. #95  
    I second your statement!
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Woof: It was not my intention to aggrevate you (and I mean that). This is just a general statement-->Sometimes when we say something, we don't think about its implications. If we really think it out (and discuss it with others), sometimes we can
    reach a different conclusion.
    Let's see.
    #1 Sometimes when we say something, we don't think about its implications.

    Since you are quite critical of my position in this thread I can logically assume that you are saying I need to think more about the impact of my statements before I make them because of their potential impact. Nope, sorry. Not gonna do it. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it, oh well.

    #2 If we really think it out (and discuss it with others), sometimes we can
    reach a different conclusion.

    Again since you dont like my position, I can logically assume that youre hoping my opnion will change if I really think it out and discuss it with you. Wrong again.

    Why should I change my opinion to suit you? The race card is inappropriate here. If NO was predominantly white and nothing about the refilef effort was different no one would be crying racism, they'd just be saying the govt is slow and ineffective. Race would not be mentioned.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  17. #97  
    Just so everyone is clear I am not denying racism exists. It does. Seen it lots and even been the victim of it. (yes is it possible for white folks to experience racism).

    What I am saying is that it isnt the reason everytime something bad happens. Bad stuff happens to people of all races all the time. Why does it always have to racially motivated?

    If you think the govt is racist in this case, then why not say hurricanes are or even God. I mean both of the have a longer history of weather related racism that the govt does. I'd also like to see the historical record of the racist attitudes of the govt during natural disasters.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  18. #98  
    The problem is that entertainers and other celebrities think we value the opinions.

  19. #99  
    Woof: I thought you weren't going to play anymore? ;-)

    "I can logically assume that you are saying I need to think more about the impact of my statements before I make them because of their potential impact. Nope, sorry. Not gonna do it. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it, oh well."

    I did actually mean all of us. But as you pointed out..its just your opinion...I can appreciate it but it is not really substantiated with any proof.

    Really what you just said is that you are NOT going to think about what you say...you'll just throw it out there. You are correct...you can do that ;-)

    You pointed out that you got upset when 'I twist your words'. I was able to use what you have said to bolster my arguments because I don't think that you have thought out the implications. <--this is just my opinion.

    "Again since you dont like my position, I can logically assume that youre hoping my opnion will change if I really think it out and discuss it with you. Wrong again."

    It's not that I don't like your opinion. I think this all started when you made comments to the effect of race could NOT have been a factor and should not be brought up. I argued that it COULD be a factor. Are you not putting your opinion out there in the hopes that someone will at least concede that your argument has some merit...or do you not care?

    "Why should I change my opinion to suit you? The race card is inappropriate here. If NO was predominantly white and nothing about the refilef effort was different no one would be crying racism, they'd just be saying the govt is slow and ineffective. Race would not be mentioned"

    I think you are right about that...and if so, why would that be? Is it because of the fact that a majority of the people in power (executive, legistlative and judicial branches) are predominantly white? I mean, how often do you see white people being discriminatory against other whites? Of course no one would bring up the race card then.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  20. #100  
    Woof: "Just so everyone is clear I am not denying racism exists. It does. Seen it lots and even been the victim of it. (yes is it possible for white folks to experience racism)."

    See we have common ground...I agree. :-)

    "What I am saying is that it isnt the reason everytime something bad happens. Bad stuff happens to people of all races all the time. Why does it always have to racially motivated?"

    Again we agree! ;-) But I don't think Kayne West is saying this happens all the time and its always racial. From the remarks he stated on NBC (I think) he narrowed it down to Pres. Bush's response to Katrina and specifically NO. If you look at the decisions that were made...I think there is a valid argument in there. West isn't saying that all bad things that happen to African Americans are racially motivated (although others might make that claim.)

    " If you think the govt is racist in this case, then why not say hurricanes are or even God. I mean both of the have a longer history of weather related racism that the govt does. I'd also like to see the historical record of the racist attitudes of the govt during natural disasters"

    You seem to be making the argument that in order to prove someone was racist, then there has to be some length of history behind it? So do you agree or disagree that someone can be racist to someone else just once with no history between them? I mean, people who are racist and discriminatory...do they know all their victims...have they all done it more than once to provide some historical record? I don't think so.

    Also, weather related racism? So the weather decides to be discriminatory and pick on only cities that have a higher percentage of minorities? Im not following you?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions