Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 116
  1. #61  
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard: "race only exist when you bring it up(or something like that". WHAT,WHAT? That is like saying Terrorist only exist once you talk about them or Gas prices go up when you think about it. Come on. Over the past few days, I have thought.The government wasn't prep for this destruction, they put off building the dam, they didn't think the hurricane could happen.......etc. But, every time I see the new I change my mind.

    1. The proof I have is the Africa. The most powerful nation in the world has ignored Africa. No oil or financial goods there to defend. :O need I go on?

    2. You can't ignore that there has never been a president of the USA that has NOT been a white male.
    Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am.But when the cameras pan the crowds and you see 5000 faces and 80 are white? It is hard to think otherwise.
    You can say the government was not ready to deal with this challenge all you want. History speaks for itself. Whether or not this is an EXCUSE. It is a excuse that is a reality if not a fact.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Woof at Today 11:52 AM

    and it would sure be nice if some of you could learn to use the damn "quote" button.

    Woof, please point out on the mobile version of TC where the quote button is?
    Got me there. I rarely post from my treo and didnt remember there was no quote button. It never crossedmy mind that a post as long as many of those above would be posted via treo.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Woof: "As to the second part, I guess you must be missing the outpouring of assistance that is occuring in EVERY community in the country. Nope, no one cares about the minorities in NO. Lets just let them all die the we'll have fewer of them to deal with. Will you please pull your head out of your arse and acknowledge that your wrong."

    This out pouring of support is indeed wonderful. But it is after the fact and not something that the govt. is doing. Remember...it took 6 days for the most powerful country in the world to get those people evacuated. I personally don't see why we should not question how and why the decisions were made thus far by the fed. govt.

    "The reason things didnt move faster has nothing to do with race. NO has not been hit by a storm like this in our history. Humans are arrogant. We didnt think it could happen so we weren't prepared for it. Next time however there is a cat 5 in NO, very few people will even get wet. Why because wehen we fix this it will be done with the recent disaster fresh in mind. and we wont want it to happen again."

    If what you said above is your proof that race had nothing to do with the decisons whatsoever...then I am not convinced. We we under prepared, absolutely. But we could have had relief supplies and personnel enroute on the day after if we chose to. The federal government was negligent at the very least. Part of the blame does lie with the Mayor and Gov. but I am sure they were asking for federal aid at least one day after the storm hit.

    "Race only matters if people point it out and use it as an excuse."

    So you are saying that there is no discrimination? Race only matters if I point it out....so if I (or we) don't point it out then its not there and its insignificant? That kind of sounds like we should just put our heads in the sand and chant something over and over to ourselves. :-)
    The idea that race was a motivation for the delayed reaction in NO is offensive. I am amazed by the number of people that would stoop to this level. Th amount of energy wasted on the race topic could be better spent doing something else.

    I would like PROOF that race was a factor. Until someone can offer that all thi is discrimination talk is just some peoples opinion. Says alot about you in my opinion if that is your answer for someones problems.

    As to this statement "Race only matters if people point it out and use it as an excuse." that's my opinion. I dont give a rip what race you are. You'll get the same from me no matter what. Until you bring it up. Then and only then will I treat you differently.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard: "race only exist when you bring it up(or something like that". WHAT,WHAT? That is like saying Terrorist only exist once you talk about them or Gas prices go up when you think about it. Come on. Over the past few days, I have thought.The government wasn't prep for this destruction, they put off building the dam, they didn't think the hurricane could happen.......etc. But, every time I see the new I change my mind.

    1. The proof I have is the Africa. The most powerful nation in the world has ignored Africa. No oil or financial goods there to defend. :O need I go on?

    2. You can't ignore that there has never been a president of the USA that has NOT been a white male.
    Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am.But when the cameras pan the crowds and you see 5000 faces and 80 are white? It is hard to think otherwise.
    You can say the government was not ready to deal with this challenge all you want. History speaks for itself. Whether or not this is an EXCUSE. It is a excuse that is a reality if not a fact.

    Speaking of the dumbest things said. Since when is it the USA's resposibility to take care of Africa? Was it made the 51st state without me knowing?

    White presidents? The president is elected by majority. The majority of folks in this country are white. Sorry if that is such a surprise. Nigeria has black leaders I think. You could move.
    5000 and 80 are white? Where? Clearly you believe that that picture is indicative of all cities in America. Newsflash for you. Youre wrong.

    Maybe you should put the PSP down and get out a little more. Lot's of folks dont care aboutr skin color. I could care less what color your are or anyone else for that matter. But when someone makes it an issue it tells me that it is important to them. My opinion of that person drops immediately no matter what color they are.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  5. #65  
    I guess opinions are like but holes Woof.......

    1. USA are the world police hence Africa

    2.For KW to say what he said is emtional. It did not sound like he considered all options. I don't think most others are either.
  6. #66  
    Woof: "It never crossedmy mind that a post as long as many of those above would be posted via treo."

    Well right now I am at Huntington Beach enjoying the fresh air. And you only had 1/2 of the hardware needed to post something that long...I have my keyboard with me too. ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  7. #67  
    Woof: "The idea that race was a motivation for the delayed reaction in NO is offensive."

    I am sorry that you are offended about it. But I don't think it takes too much of a logical deduction to look at what has happened and draw a conclusion that the government has not made the victims of Katrina a priority.

    In simple terms:

    A. NO is a majority of African Americans.
    B. Katrina hit 6 days ago, the federal govt. got most of the survivors out yesterday. Food and water didn't get there from FEMA until yesterday.
    C. The fed. govt. failed to protect and help those people.

    Conclusion: (this is up to you) but I don't think its that outrageous to make a claim that the governmnet is playing favorites. (i.e. just for fun...imagine if this happened in NY...do you think it would have been 6 days before we got food, awater and transportation there?)

    "I am amazed by the number of people that would stoop to this level. Th amount of energy wasted on the race topic could be better spent doing something else."

    This same argument could apply to anything (like Iraq ;-) Regardless...its just your subjective opinion to put a value on anyone else's time. I could argue that your denial that race wasn't a factor in the response is a waste of time :-)

    "I would like PROOF that race was a factor. Until someone can offer that all thi is discrimination talk is just some peoples opinion."

    True and there probably won't be a memo anywhere to provide the proof. People are making these claims based on the actions of the fed. govt.

    "As to this statement "Race only matters if people point it out and use it as an excuse." that's my opinion. I dont give a rip what race you are. You'll get the same from me no matter what. Until you bring it up. Then and only then will I treat you differently."

    So you admit to disciminating (treating someone differently) against someone if they simply bring up the race issue? I guess that is your opinion. My recommendation is that you might try to be a little more open minded. :-(
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    1. The proof I have is the Africa. The most powerful nation in the world has ignored Africa. No oil or financial goods there to defend. :O need I go on?
    Nigeria is the 11th largest oil producer in the world. South Africa is the world's largest exporter of platinum and gold. Africa has plenty of "oil and financial goods." What it lacks is strategic value (except in some areas - Egypt, for example) and this is why it is largely "ignored", if you consider $3.99 billion in aid in 2004 "ignored." That's aid just to sub-Saharan Africa. If only I could be so ignored by our government.

    It would be foolish to argue discrimination doesn't exist, but the U.S.'s relationship with Africa isn't a good place to look for "proof."
  9. #69  
    "Dis fred sho am gettin good"
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Woof: "The idea that race was a motivation for the delayed reaction in NO is offensive."

    I am sorry that you are offended about it. But I don't think it takes too much of a logical deduction to look at what has happened and draw a conclusion that the government has not made the victims of Katrina a priority.
    I find it offensive that people have to find race as an excuse. Couldn't possibly be that our govt has issues on many levels. FEMA has been a joke for years. Why does it have to be race?

    In simple terms:

    A. NO is a majority of African Americans.
    B. Katrina hit 6 days ago, the federal govt. got most of the survivors out yesterday. Food and water didn't get there from FEMA until yesterday.
    C. The fed. govt. failed to protect and help those people.

    Conclusion: (this is up to you) but I don't think its that outrageous to make a claim that the governmnet is playing favorites. (i.e. just for fun...imagine if this happened in NY...do you think it would have been 6 days before we got food, awater and transportation there?)
    Based on what? The fact the Katrina happened to hit an area that is 60% black? The president declared a disaster 2 DAYS before the hurricane hit. Did we miss the part where he said "but dont do anything cause their just a bunch of (insert your fav slur here)". Give me a f**king break! Youre probably hoping another hurricane hits a predominately white area so you scream how right you are. Of course the fact that the govt will act faster because they have learned from this wont matter, it'll all be race.

    "I am amazed by the number of people that would stoop to this level. Th amount of energy wasted on the race topic could be better spent doing something else."

    This same argument could apply to anything (like Iraq ;-) Regardless...its just your subjective opinion to put a value on anyone else's time. I could argue that your denial that race wasn't a factor in the response is a waste of time :-)
    Iraq and NO are apples and oranges. Unless of course we went to Irag because Bush is a racist. If so why didnt he only take the black troops. 2 birds with one stone.

    "I would like PROOF that race was a factor. Until someone can offer that all thi is discrimination talk is just some peoples opinion."

    True and there probably won't be a memo anywhere to provide the proof. People are making these claims based on the actions of the fed. govt.
    So if the govt is slow to act its because of racism? You getting too much sun? Government has always been slow. Being in the military you should know that. Hmm maybe the six weeks it takes to get my refund check is cause they think I am black. Or maybe blacks dont get refunds or have to wait 10 weeks. Could you please cite the historical incidents involving natural disasters where the govt acted based on the race of the victims. Or is this the first time? Why cant you just accept that sh*t happens and it happened slow this time.

    I suppose the quick response to the tsunami was because asians are higher on the disdcriminatory scale than blacks? Well of course they are.

    "As to this statement "Race only matters if people point it out and use it as an excuse." that's my opinion. I dont give a rip what race you are. You'll get the same from me no matter what. Until you bring it up. Then and only then will I treat you differently."

    So you admit to disciminating (treating someone differently) against someone if they simply bring up the race issue? I guess that is your opinion. My recommendation is that you might try to be a little more open minded. :-(
    No thats not what I said. I dont like people of any color who use race as an excuse. People like that annoy me, because it many many cases it is an excuse for something. Like rappers who have made millions in the US going on about how whitey is keeping them down. Ya ok I am white and I dont have millions. How the hell am I keeping them down. I treat people based on their character not the color of their skin. If the chararcter turns out to be crap, then thats what they get from me. MLK Jr mentioned that once I think.

    My recommendation is that YOU open your mind a bit. Black people suffering in a natural disater is not by the design of our goverment. Stopp looking for white sheets where ther are none.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  11. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #71  
    "It will be much more effective if you use your own child. Then start telling that child every day that they are worthless and will never amount to anything. As a matter of fact, dont ever say anything positive to the child. Along with that, let the child make its own decision and dont have much involvement in its life other than to bombard it with negative views and images of itself. Feed the child just enough to keep it alive, speak extremely high of other children when your child is in earshot.
    Then just sit back and watch that childs behavior. Please take careful notes and document everthing. Then when that child makes a bad decsion, tell it see, I told you...."

    where do we tell black people they are worthless? that they are idiots? really.
    how can you say this is what takes place within every poor african-american household? or in every school? I just don't think this is true.

    parents who talk down to their kids and reinforce low self-esteem happens to people of ALL races, not just to african-americans.

    where do we outwardly speak to black children this way, complimenting other white kids while denigrating black children? in what arenas specifically does this take place? where do we discourage blacks from trying to reach their dreams of success- no matter what they are?

    since when has it been necessary for someone else to tell you what you can or can't strive to do in your life? and if some stranger says you can't, do you listen simply because they said you couldn't do it?

    see I just don't buy it. of course it is true that we all need the proper nurturing to help us find life's guardrails, but there comes a time when it is our life becomes our decision, not based on what the prejudices of others think we should do.

    if they meet disappointments, that's ok. everybody does. you get back up and keep trying. that's part of life. you don't pull the race card at every chance you get when real challenges come along in life.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  12. #72  
    While bias is a possible factor (at least subconsciously), it's worth remebering that the circumstances were not typical, even for emergency situations.

    Today, I was in the audience of the head of the White House task force on this matter. One interesting fact he shared was the sheer size of the effected area. He mentioned that 9/11 effected about a 40 city block radius. "Katrina" effected MANY square miles of coast. Likewise, the mayor of New Orleans stated that only one bridge was passable in or out of the city.

    My point? It is possible that faster, meaningful response was simply not possible (especially when you add in having to deal with raping and pillaging and shooting.... at those who were coming to assist).
  13. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #73  
    I don't think black youth should think to simply give up and stay in status quo if they are unhappy where they are, simply because they think someone else doesn't believe in them.

    to just give up and resign oneself to a poor socio-economic level and simply blame the white people without the active attempt to get up to better yourself is just a cop out, and a terrible waste of life.

    sure we all need nurturing, but nothing is handed to anyone in life. we all have to earn our keep, and work for success. and rather than spend energy claiming racism and the "hopeless" nature of black youth, spend our energies showing them what is possible in life, what their dedicated efforts in life will reward them with. why must we just keep returning to these lousy claims of racism and hatred again and again? taking step after step backward?

    let's move FORWARD. talk about what successful black people are doing in life, rather than ignoring that and simply emphasizing the negative - be it in the media, in school, etc. if they see african-american successes being emphasized, and not the despicable racism claims like those made by jesse jackson or al sharpton being broadcast at every god-forsaken opportunity, we WOULD get somewhere. we would see noticeable growth going on.

    its the role models - the attitudes of today's black leaders. if african-american yourh see role models, like jesse jackson constantly talking racism, always trying to show how blacks are being wronged by the white man, than of course they are ensuring that their own people always remain victims in their own minds.

    if the black leaders of today fill young people's heads with the positive, not ALWAYS the negative, I do believe we would really begin to get somewhere. but this is a decision THEY have to want to make. we can't make that decision for them.







    I'm just expanding on my previous post here, since the treo limits the length of a post.

    ....
    I gotta have more cowbell
  14. #74  
    The problem here VW is that you are looking from the inside out. You say you don't believe it... but that's only because you have never had to witness it and deal with it. How many poor African american homes have you been in? How many poor African americans have you ever even had a conversation with? How many poor inner city schools have you had the privelege of being educated in? You are speaking on a matter you know nothing about. But the problem is you rather just believe its not so than to even give it a second thought. You never can realize the plight of a man until you walk in his shoes. I don't think I am right about the matter... instead, I KNOW I am 100% right about the matter.
  15. #75  
    Now... with all that said... it is still not an excuse for anyone who is poor to just settle for a certain way of life. But given the circumstances I described above, the struggle to "succeed" as a poor black person in america is 100 times more difficult than most other americans.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I find it offensive that people have to find race as an excuse. Couldn't possibly be that our govt has issues on many levels. FEMA has been a joke for years. Why does it have to be race?
    I am not saying it has to be race...I am only pointing out that it could be a possibility (and it didnt require a lot of sun to see it )

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Based on what? The fact the Katrina happened to hit an area that is 60% black?
    Its not just that NO is 60% african american. (I guess you didnt read the whole analysis ). And I didnt say that it was the only possibility just that it is A possibility. Check out the story concerning the problems of having FEMA under Homeland Security.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The president declared a disaster 2 DAYS before the hurricane hit. Did we miss the part where he said "but dont do anything cause their just a bunch of (insert your fav slur here)".
    Why the strawman argument...would the Pres. have to say that to convince you that there might be a possibility of racism? If so, you just might be a 'true believer'. And the fact that Pres. Bush declared it a disaster 2 days prior to the hurricane only goes to the issue that the federal government had a head start and could have had relief there even quicker if it chose to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Give me a f**king break! Youre probably hoping another hurricane hits a predominately white area so you scream how right you are. Of course the fact that the govt will act faster because they have learned from this wont matter, it'll all be race.
    I am probably hoping for another Katrina disaster with 1000's of people dying? Now I know you are reaching.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Iraq and NO are apples and oranges. Unless of course we went to Irag because Bush is a racist. If so why didnt he only take the black troops. 2 birds with one stone.
    I guess you missed the point. Iraq and NO are not apples and oranges if the point of comparison is whether your subjective value of discussion about each is a waste of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So if the govt is slow to act its because of racism? You getting too much sun? Government has always been slow. Being in the military you should know that. Hmm maybe the six weeks it takes to get my refund check is cause they think I am black. Or maybe blacks dont get refunds or have to wait 10 weeks. Could you please cite the historical incidents involving natural disasters where the govt acted based on the race of the victims. Or is this the first time? Why cant you just accept that sh*t happens and it happened slow this time.
    I guess you are missing my point. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE ONLY REASON THAT THE RESPONSE WAS SLOW WAS BECAUSE OF RACE (are you sure I am the one getting too much sun?) I am only pointing out that for the people who have made this argument, its not that unrealistic based on the actual responses and actions of the federal government. You seem to be making the argument that its impossible and for anyone to say anything like that, you find it offensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I suppose the quick response to the tsunami was because asians are higher on the disdcriminatory scale than blacks? Well of course they are.
    I am not making that argument...but the fact that you could point that out speaks volumes (and I would not be surprised to see other people draw the same conclusion).

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    No thats not what I said. I dont like people of any color who use race as an excuse. People like that annoy me, because it many many cases it is an excuse for something.
    Ok so for those minority of cases where its not an excuse (notice you said 'many') then you are ok with it? You do recognize that it happens right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Like rappers who have made millions in the US going on about how whitey is keeping them down. Ya ok I am white and I dont have millions. How the hell am I keeping them down. I treat people based on their character not the color of their skin. If the chararcter turns out to be crap, then thats what they get from me. MLK Jr mentioned that once I think.
    I am not sure what million dollar rappers have to do with the timing of the decision to provide aid to Katrina victims but ok, I much more at ease that you look at character and not skin color .

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    My recommendation is that YOU open your mind a bit. Black people suffering in a natural disater is not by the design of our goverment. Stopp looking for white sheets where ther are none.
    Actually, I can see both sides of the argument, therefore it would follow that my mind is more 'open' than yours.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17. #77  
    Willie Lynch's Speech On His Methods For Controlling Slaves 1712
    Gentlemen:

    I greet you here on the bank of the James River in the year of Our Lord one thousand seven hundred and twelve. First, I shall thank you The Gentlemen of the Colony of Virginia for bringing me here. I am here to help you solve some of your problems with slaves. Your invitation reached me on my modest plantation in the West Indies where I have experimented with some of the newest and still oldest methods for control of slaves. Ancient Rome would envy us if my program is implemented. As our boat sailed south on the James River, named for our illustrious King, whose version of the Bible we cherish, I saw enough to know that your problem is not unique. While Rome used cords of wood as crosses for standing human bodies along its old highways in great numbers, you are here using the tree and the rope on occasion.

    I caught the whiff of a dead slave hanging from a tree a couple miles back. You are not only losing valuable stock by hanging, you are having uprisings, slaves are running away, your crops are sometimes left in the field too long for maximum profit, you suffer occasional fires, your animals are killed, gentlemen, you know what your problems are; I do not need to elaborate. I am not here to enumerate your problems, I am here to introduce you to a method of solving them.

    In my bag here, I have a fool proof method for controlling Black Slaves. I guarantee everyone of you that if installed correctly, it will control the slaves for at least 300 years. My method is simple and members of your family and any Overseer can use it.

    I have outlined a number of difference(s) among the slaves; and I take these differences and make them bigger. I use fear, distrust, and envy for control purposes. These methods have worked on my modest plantation in the West Indies and [they] will work throughout the South. Take this simple little list of differences, think about them. On top of my list is "Age" but it is there only because it begins with an "A." The second is "Color" or "Shade," there is intelligence, size, sex, size of plantation, status of plantation, attitude of owner, whether the slaves live in the valley , on a hill, East, West, North, or South, have a fine or coarse hair, or is tall or short. Now that you have a list of differences, I shall give you an outline of action but before that, I shall assure you that distrust is stronger than trust and envy is stronger than adulation, respect and admiration.

    The Black Slave, after receiving this indoctrination, shall carry on and will become self-refueling and self-generation for hundreds of years, maybe thousands.

    Don't forget you must pitch the old black versus the young black and the young black male against the old black male. You must use the dark skin slave vs. The light skin slave and the light skin slaves vs. The dark skin slaves. You must also have your white servants and overseers distrust all blacks, but it is necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us. They must love, respect and trust only us.

    Gentlemen, these Kits are keys to control, use them. Have your wives and children use them, never miss an opportunity. My plan is guaranteed and the good thing about this plan is that if used intensely for one year the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful.

    Thank you gentlemen.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  18. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #78  
    "even give it a second thought. You never can realize the plight of a man until you walk in his shoes. I don't think I am right about the matter... instead, I KNOW I am 100% right about the matter"
    if black leaders or parents, for that matter, insist on teaching their youth that they are victims, worthless, idiots, the like, then they are perpetuating the problem generation after generation. always ensuring their plight remains the same.
    its sounds to me like you are saying that they are planting this plight into their children's minds THEMSELVES. they are doing more of that destruction to their children than white people, no? am I understanding what you are saying here?
    it seems to me that black youth is being told, often by other black individuals, that they are victims. when you are told you are a victim, you get indignant, defensive, defiant, rebellious and begin to show signs of anti-social behavior in so many ways.
    this would explain their tendency to gravitate away from becoming a productive citizen in society with positive goals, and more TOWARDS an angry, resentful bitter individual bent towards gangs, drug abuse, crime, on and on.
    wouldn't it be helpful then for those in such households to try to spread hope and a positive outlook for their children as opposed to simply teaching their children that they will always be victims?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    While bias is a possible factor (at least subconsciously), it's worth remebering that the circumstances were not typical, even for emergency situations.

    Today, I was in the audience of the head of the White House task force on this matter. One interesting fact he shared was the sheer size of the effected area. He mentioned that 9/11 effected about a 40 city block radius. "Katrina" effected MANY square miles of coast. Likewise, the mayor of New Orleans stated that only one bridge was passable in or out of the city.

    My point? It is possible that faster, meaningful response was simply not possible (especially when you add in having to deal with raping and pillaging and shooting.... at those who were coming to assist).
    While I agree that it might not have been possible, imagine the response over the last two days and just put that same response back in time to day 2 or 3. Imagine how many more lives, animals and property that could have been saved?

    And just to play devils advocate ...out of the response that we have seen thus far (helicopters flying people out, huge military transports bringing in food, police boats and jetskis being used to get to survivors...) how could that response have been held up by something unpreventable? Why would those types of responses have taken 6 days to make happen? Here is an example of resources being withheld for whatever reason:

    link
    FEMA, meanwhile, has refused to release 50 trucks carrying water and ice sitting at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree said.

    "They're sitting down there right now because one person from FEMA won't make the call to say, 'Release those trucks,' " he said.

    Two-thirds of the residents of the southern Mississippi city have no power, and that figure was 100 percent for three-and-a-half days, he added.

    He said FEMA representatives did not arrive in Hattiesburg -- 95 miles from New Orleans -- until Saturday.

    "People from all over America have come in to help us," he said. "But the people who get paid to do this haven't done what I think they should have done."
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  20. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #80  
    franko515, I appreciate your post. no one doubts the horrible manners in which african-americans were treated in those times. out and out, truly horrible.

    I realize that is what parents much teach their children about regarding their heritage and that it is painful. what I want to emphasize, though, is all that horrible treatment.... is in the past. gone forever.


    that type of victimization was part of and left behind in the times of the 1700's NEVER TO RETURN. period. we all know this.


    that is what the children have to know - going FORWARD. yes that was a terrible part of history but not part of the present day or the future.

    let's live in the present & regard ourselves with the concerns of today, enjoy the rights and liberties and opportunities of present-day, and not with the terrible victimizations of the past.

    while knowledge of it is essential, dwelling on it is destructive, for everyone.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions