Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    snip

It is funny to me that whenever someone defends a minority race, the race card gets thrown in their face.
    Unfortunately, race is still a HUGE factor in this country. And it will never get better if its never addressed.

"Following the script" is for the weak...
    Nothing ever changes that way.

How was KW defending a minority race? He accused Bush/govt of picking on blacks. Prove It!! If he had proof of his statements then he'd have something to defend. He was just throwing out is "look at the poor black folks" garbage. And he did a **** poor job too. Why they had the inarticulate boob on tv was beyond me.

When I watch the stories on NO I see people in need. Doesn't matter the color, they all need help. Kanye should try seeing things that way.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    personally i dont think that bush doesnt like blacks, he just doesnt like poor people, and the majority of black people just happen to be at or below the poverty line. but what the hell does that have to do with the current situation? i think he was tryin to say the relief efforts are takin so long because he figured mostly blacks in N.O. (he was wrong, but just because he is talented doesnt mean he cant be ignorant) we as blacks hold the majority no where in america, except prison.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    How was KW defending a minority race? He accused Bush/govt of picking on blacks. Prove It!! If he had proof of his statements then he'd have something to defend. He was just throwing out is "look at the poor black folks" garbage. And he did a **** poor job too. Why they had the inarticulate boob on tv was beyond me.

When I watch the stories on NO I see people in need. Doesn't matter the color, they all need help. Kanye should try seeing things that way.
    At least we all agree on the fact that they ALL need help.
    And that is the most important thing.

I suppose some will always turn a blind eye to things they never have to deal with. Proof? The last 5 years is not proof? Unfortunately what i dont think people see is that its not just about minorities. You can not be a leader if you have no concern for the people you are leading, or if the same people you are leading become insignificant when and if they present an opposing view to your agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    personally i dont think that bush doesnt like blacks, he just doesnt like poor people, and the majority of black people just happen to be at or below the poverty line. but what the hell does that have to do with the current situation? i think he was tryin to say the relief efforts are takin so long because he figured mostly blacks in N.O. (he was wrong, but just because he is talented doesnt mean he cant be ignorant) we as blacks hold the majority no where in america, except prison.
    I am not saying whether Kanye is wrong or right.
    But i am saying that because of the history of country, which includes all the way up until yesterday, i can definitely see how and why the question would arise. How he went about it i do not necessarily agree with, but i will be the first to tell you that when you come from poverty you get MUCH less attention in any times of need.

There is no way to seperate the idealogies of some people from the way things happen in this country... no matter how tragic.
    actually I believe blacks are in the majority in pre-katrina NO...66%.

So it stands to reason most suffering will be black.

The prison population ration represents the crime comitting general populs ratio.
    Let us close the thread with this.

Kanye is an *****, when it comes to public speaking, on ocassions like these !!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    actually I believe blacks are in the majority in pre-katrina NO...66%.
    So it stands to reason most suffering will be black.

The prison population ration represents the crime comitting general populs ratio.
    67.25%(blacks) in N.O., but i was sayin he was wrong because louisiana was hit not just N.O. and in louisiana whites out number blacks, as do they in all states.

The prison population represents a late start, lack of education and a lack of opportunities.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    67.25%(blacks)

The prison population represents a late start, lack of education and a lack of opportunities.
    Excusessssssssssssssssssss.....sssssssssssss
    If you cannot make it in USA or US of Oppurtunities , you will not make it anywhere.
    prison represents criminals
    Surely that statement is probably true in theory. But if you do not believe that the politics of this country can make it extremely more difficult and sometimes damn near impossible for some people to "succeed", then you are ignorant in the true sense of the word. For some, not being shot in their own neighborhood from day to day is considered a success.
  11.    #31  
    i just love how Kanye was just on the cover of TIME mag or whatever and they called him the "class of hip-hop" holding him above the rest of the hip-hop world, then he proves hes not. the guy gets way too much credit.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    "you do not believe that the politics of this country can make it extremely more difficult and sometimes damn near impossible for some people to "succeed", then you are ignorant in the true sense of the word"

Another one of them excuses.
    People coming from other countries , who cann't speak english make it here by there hardwork . Hard for me to accept that the ones who are born here do not have oppurtunities.
    It is the path you choose. Stay lazy and blame the world or work hard and get out of that cycle.
    For the record I will say that Kanye West irritated me LONG before this incident. I have always felt he talked to much with nothing to say and no clear direction. But so do a lot of other celebrities when they start spouting off at the mouth just because their celebrity gives them a spotlight.

And Msexual
    to paint things black or white without considering some circumstances is just ignorant. I hear what you are saying and at some point people do have to decide to just kick *** and kick down whatever doors have to kicked in order to "succeed". But if you are never trained to think that way or even worse, trained to believe just the opposite, then you may never develop the kick door attitude.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Maybe, I am taking this wrong. But, could prison also be representative of the amount of police that are in one area?
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here, might be the answer some of the things that Kanye said. Although no excuse for the comment about Bush can said.

Source: Editor & Publisher

AP Stands by Caption in 'Looting' Photo Controversy

Published: September 02, 2005 9:40 PM ET

NEW YORK In one of the photos, a man wades through chest-deep waters with a large black bag filled with items from a grocery store. In another, two people wade through equally high waters, carrying bread and soda.

They were just two out of hundreds of stunning images transmitted Tuesday, the day after Katrina ravaged New Orleans. What has drawn attention to these two photos, though, is their captions.

In the first, the young man, who is black, is described as having "looted" the items. In the second, the pair, who are white or light-skinned, are described as "finding" the items.
    The photos were by two different photographers working for two different news agencies, The Associated Press and AFP/Getty Images. But they appeared together on Yahoo News, and they sparked a flurry of blog entries, emails and calls contending the captions were unfair to blacks.

-snip-

Excusessssssssssssssssssss.....sssssssssssss
    If you cannot make it in USA or US of Oppurtunities , you will not make it anywhere
    the 67.25% was blacks in N.O. i wasnt talkin about, percentage in prison. as far as you sayin that im makin excuses, i wont speak on it. it obvious to me at least that you have no clue so why waste the time.

i cant believe that you believe that. whats the root? come on man.

i see that katrina isnt the only problem

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Here, might be the answer some of the things that Kanye said. Although no excuse for the comment about Bush can said.
    Why didn't you post the rest of that article?

The Associated Press said its policy was clear. "When we see people go into businesses and come out with goods, we call it looting," said Santiago Lyon, AP's director of photography. "When we just see them carrying things down the road, we call it carrying items."

Lyon said the photographer who took Tuesday's photo, Dave Martin, had seen the man go into the store and take out the items.

As for the other photo, Getty said it stood by its caption and its photographer, Chris Graythen, who says the subjects of his photo were simply picking up items floating by in the dank waters.

And Graythen, frustrated by the controversy, wrote an emotional response on a photojournalism Web site, SportsShooter.com.

"These people were not ducking into a store and busting down windows to get electronics," he wrote. "They picked up bread and cokes that were floating in the water. They would have floated away anyhow."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Another one of them excuses.
    People coming from other countries , who cann't speak english make it here by there hardwork . Hard for me to accept that the ones who are born here do not have oppurtunities.
    It is the path you choose. Stay lazy and blame the world or work hard and get out of that cycle
    i see the lack of education isnt just in the black community

Palm Pre (Sprint)
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Why didn't you post the rest of that article?
    I did not go that far down. I would doubt that Kanye would not have know that either. Still does not excuse him for his comments about Bush.
    i cant believe that you believe that. whats the root? come on man.

i see that katrina isnt the only problem

Sorry...I didn't mean to answer so shortly.

The difference I believe is our estimate of where the root exists. I believe Governent policies have created a sense of dependency for the black community on the government. The governmment through welfare has in a sense created it's own religion, welfare is charity imposed by the state. The state will provide, the role of the father becomes less significant for daily survival. there is avicious cycle of creating this dependency and looking to the government as to a GOD for all answers. Any system created by man will be, as man is, flawed. When a society looks for all answers from a state institution and then there is a tragedy that cannot be solved immediately, the state is blamed. The Father has failed. I know it will be clear that there were lapses in judgement along the way. That is the nature of humanity. We will build stronger.

As to the prisons. They are horrible. I do believe, however that people in poverty are conditioned to believe the only solution to a problem will be external, rather than looking for personal responsibilty.

I know I'm rambling and probably not making much sense.

take care
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast