Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Times like this last week a 72 hour kit can be the factor between life and death. I spent some time last year and put together three 72 hour kits (actually they have enough food and water for about 5 days)...one for each member of our family. I bought 3 backpack / carry on style bags that can either be worn like a backpack or rolled with a collapsing handing.

===========
    EDIT: After going through a pack to take some pictures and to add the water I bought a couple weeks ago, I added several items that I forgot to originally list. I have also added pictures so you can see what I am talking about.
    ===========

In each I have:

• Ration style food which include:
      --Army style ration main meals. Sustain 1 person = 5 days
      --Orange and Berry flavored Energy bars
      --Emergency Bars (in blue). Sustain 1 person = 6 days
      --Emergency Food (silver). Sustain 1 person = 5 days
    • Pouches of water. When in an emergency you are suppose to not drink for the 1st 24 hrs unless injured or in desert conditions. Then minimum of 8 oz a day or 2 pouches. 18 pouches. 1 person = up to 10 days
    • folding shovel with axe attachment
    • mask and goggles for ash
    • thin sleeping bag (more like a blanket in a sleeping bag style)
    • rain gear (poncho and thin folding rain suit)
    • signaling stuff: flares, mirror, whistle, bright reflective vests, water coloring ink, etc...
    • Light sticks
    • TP
    • A hand cranked radio with a built in flashlight and can also receive AM/FM and SW1 / SW2 shortwave. Got it at The Good Guys for $29.99 on sale.
    • Water purification tablets and device
    • socks, thin gloves, and stocking cap
    • Heated Handwarmers. 3 day supply.
    • clip on bright flashlights
    • envelope of a substantial amount of cash in small bills
    • .22 pistol and ammo
    • Multi-tool (plyers, knife, interchangeable screw driver heads, etc...)
    • Mess kit and folding utensils and keychain can opener
    • Sternal cans to heat food and water
    • space blankets
    • First Aid kit
    • Extra set of medications in Med Kit (i.e. Advil, asthma medication, extra burn ointment, allergy medicine, I also put left over pain killers in there, etc..)
    • water proof matches and fire starter material (both home made and from store) and powerful cig lighter
    • 3 whistles, including 2 that are really loud with a little blow.
    • 150 ft of rope
    • 3 bungy cords
    • entertainment: word searches, puzzle books, etc...
    • Extra hooks to attach anything to back fast and easy.
    • Everything is put into zip lock bags and glad flex garbage bags to help protect from water.

All of this is completely mobile, packed, ready to go and always within reach, i.e. one in each of our trunks and one in my front hall closet.

I live about 20 miles from St. Helens and can see her right outside my office window at home. I put these together when St Helens started acting up again this last year. If....or when....she blows again, it could be bad with flooding, no water, no transportation due to ash, etc...

Sure it costs a little bit of money....I spent a total of around $350 for all the kits, including the bags....but not including the gun or the extra cash. It took me about 2 afternoons of shopping to find everything I wanted and to put them together.

I now keep one in each trunk of our cars and one in the house. That way we at least always have one with us no matter where we are or as it usually works out one with each person most of the time.

I would strongly recommend putting some together for you and your family. As we have seen here this week, when you realize you need this stuff it is too late to get any of it. And there are so many situations that come without any warning, earthquake, eruption, tidal wave, twister, etc.... If you cannot support your family for up to 3 days while waiting for help to come, your family could in a worst case scenario...die.

PICTURES: I spread it all out on our throw rug in the garage. After packing everything back up and uploaded the pictures, I noticed I left a part of the kit out of the pictures (money, first aid kit, face mask and goggles for ash, etc...) so sorry about that, but you will get the idea. I also didn't have my .22 as I loaned it to my dad for a month for his Alaska gold panning and fishing trip as a backup to his 9mm.

The food and signal pouch picture has all the food listed above and 3 days worth of water, fire starting stuff all in one pouch and all the signaling stuff in the small red one. These two are the heart of the pack and are very small.

I can only upload 5 pictures per post. Please see others below in POST #19 and POST #20
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/02/2005 at 11:41 PM.
    Good job. I will be interested to see your detailed list. Mine is a family of six, so I have twice as much work to do. (what kind of .22 should I get for my 4-year old? )
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    The kind that you have to lick the dart first!
    clip on bright flashlights
    Can I add to this one from industry experience? Let me recommend the 2AA Industrial clip on flashlights from Rayovac (I work for the company). They won't burn out your batteries too fast and will provide a lot of handy local light.

Also, don't forget the batteries.
    DON'T buy Heavy Duty batteries (zinc carbon) from any manufacturer. They're meant for long term, slow drain devices like clock radios or fire alarms. ANY brand will run out quickly in a flashlight. They're cheap, but you'll be disappointed.
    DON'T buy any no-name brand as they're all sourced for China or Korea and they're not built to last long in storage or for performance.
    DO buy the Everactive brand from Wal-Mart in bulk. They are actually Rayovac batteries (we make 'em right here in Fennimore, WI) but with Wal-Mart's brand name. We stay within a (can't give it exactly) few percentage points of performance from the top two competitive brands. Absolute best buy for your money.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Very similiar to my roll out kit...except I substituted an AR-15 and 90 rounds for the .22 pistol.
    Hobbesy...that kit sounds like what most peeps in Colorado have in their car for winter mountain driving, cept maybe 4 the quantities and the gun
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    hey while you are at it...get a fallout shelter for when the kremlin decides to drop the nukes on you...worked well in the 60s or was it the 70s..
    I still have food in my basement closet from after 911. Guess its time to throw it away.

Where are you located Hobby?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I still have food in my basement closet from after 911. Guess its time to throw it away.

Where are you located Hobby?
    Are you giving him your old food? Ewwww...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Are you giving him your old food? Ewwww...
    If he wants it, it's up for grabs.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    hey while you are at it...get a fallout shelter for when the kremlin decides to drop the nukes on you...worked well in the 60s or was it the 70s..
    I already have it...it can sleep twelve, has it own recycling air purification system, separate rooms modeled after a ranch style layout, it is wired to forms of communication (basic cable, internet, dial up, etc...in case it is available), 5 yr supply of food, an arms cache of assorted rifles and handguns, a recycling system of reusing bathroom waste to conserve water, and a built in swimming pool for exercise and entertainment..... ....just kidding. Really though, 72 hour kits are a small token of preparation that I am sure thousands wish they had this last weekend.

If he wants it, it's up for grabs.
    Thanks anyways, but we have a commercial supply of food storage. In stead of just throwing it out, especially if it is still good, i.e. canned goods, just rotated it out.

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Hobbesy...that kit sounds like what most peeps in Colorado have in their car for winter mountain driving
    That is exactly the other main motivation I had to do the kits and to keep one in each car. A little bit before St Helens was threatening to blow, a local newly married couple got stranded in the snow up in the mountains for 3 days before they were found. Since they were on just a day trip they didn't bring anything with them except for a small brown bag lunch. The news went on to cite several similar situations over the years that followed a similar time frame of being stuck or lost and being found that did not turn out as good, and stating that a small kit in the trunk with basic supplies and water can really mean the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    ...except I substituted an AR-15 and 90 rounds for the .22 pistol.
    This has certainly grabbed some's attention. Here is what I said on the Katrina post where I originally posted this about the kits and when asked about being able to conceal it:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    As far as the gun....it depends on your state or local county laws. For example where I live I only need a concealed weapons permit if I plan on concealing it on my person...which would probably count if I used it as a backpack. But do not need one to store it in my trunk.....weird uh?

But the gun (which is only in one pack and locked in a combination case and with a trigger guard with the ammo in a totally different pocket disguised in a medical kit box) could be used as a deterrent for self defense. I mean imagine no one having drinking water for 4 days and they find out that my family has at least a full day supply for 3 people (3 days worth)....some people are not very neighborly in situations like that.

But the other thing is, if we are stuck while in the woods, ect....at least it is something to get food with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Can I add to this one from industry experience? Let me recommend the 2AA Industrial clip on flashlights from Rayovac (I work for the company). They won't burn out your batteries too fast and will provide a lot of handy local light.
    Thanks for the advice. The ones I actually bought look like a mini pen light with a removable clip. It runs for about 20 plus hrs or so of continual use and runs on 3 button batteries which are light to store extras of. It is like a halogen light that is really bright, especially when considering it's size.
    Thanks for the advice. The ones I actually bought look like a mini pen light with a removable clip. It runs for about 20 plus hrs or so of continual use and runs on 3 button batteries which are light to store extras of. It is like a halogen light that is really bright, especially when considering it's size.
    Get those LED head lights. No, not car headlights, the kind with the elastic band you wear on your head. They're like 10-15 bucks at Wally Word. Sometimes you may need both hands.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I already have it...it can sleep twelve, has it own recycling air purification system, separate rooms modeled after a ranch style layout, it is wired to forms of communication (basic cable, internet, dial up, etc...in case it is available), 5 yr supply of food, an arms cache of assorted rifles and handguns, a recycling system of reusing bathroom waste to conserve water, and a built in swimming pool for exercise and entertainment..... ....just kidding. Really though, 72 hour kits are a small token of preparation that I am sure thousands wish they had this last weekend.
    Aww dang I was looking to crash there when I come and visit
    Hobbes -- I haven't gotten those GPS co-odinates to the shelter -- could you PM them to me again ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Aww dang I was looking to crash there when I come and visit
    You are more than welcome to come stay in our dog house out back....it has a caged walkway and everything! Really posh, by dog house standards.

Hobbes -- I haven't gotten those GPS co-odinates to the shelter -- could you PM them to me again ???
    Mine might end up kind of cramped with friend and fam and all. But I have a good buddy that I know you would get along with and I am sure would welcome you in if you showed up. It is at:

Lat: 38.89730o
    Long: -77.03662o

(look it up at this LINK HERE and click on the closest zoom to get driving directions ).

Here is the direct LINK HERE
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/01/2005 at 12:49 PM.
    Mine might end up kind of cramped with friend and fam and all. But I have a good buddy that I know you would get along with and I am sure would welcome you in if you showed up. It is at:

Lat: 38.89730o
    Long: -77.03662o

oh darn Hobbes --

and I was going to be bringing the collected works of Bill Clinton on DVD too ... (your loss !!)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I've been through fires, floods, and earthquakes in CA, and have gone 4 days without water and power. Was VERY happy that I had done a little preparation for just such events.

And a 9 mm has a little better range than a .22 <hehe>

Me
    So I guess I shouldn't be suprised that my Y2K stash has begun to stink.

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
  19.    #19  
    Additional Pictures:
  20.    #20  
    Food & Water:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast