Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hate these general statistics but this article makes a good read regarding the rather dismal state of our populace's understanding of science

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/sc...726261&ei=5070

Dr. Miller's data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge. American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.
    His quote on the relevance of understanding how a cell works and lives with that of stem cell therapy is particularly important.
    There are probably political reasons on why certain groups are happy that people don't understand science more when it comes to stem cell research ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I've always believed that the universe revolves around me.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yup....

That's where 20 years of outcome based edjamacation has gotten us. A dumbed down society where we should be equal to the populas of third world countries. I see it everyday in my travels across this great nation of ours.

I could go on, but I won't. I'll keep the flames at a managable level of comfort.

Chuck
  5. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Isn't it shocking that 50% of the population is of below-average intelligence?
    Yeah, but at least the other half are smarter.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    LOL... This reminds of the "Jay-walking" segment Jay Leno does on the Tonight show where he asks simple general knowledge questions to people on the streets to see how 'stupid' the average person is. Once you actually think about, it actually is good that less than 50% of the people in this country actually vote huh!?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Yeah, but at least the other half are smarter.
    But still, one out of four does not even know the most basic rules of statistics. That's over 30%!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Yah but, we Canadians know our gazintas...

2 gazinta 4 twice, 3 gazinta 9 three times...
    Yea, but you must factor in that four thirds of all statistics are completely bogus.
    So what if some people are not as smart, if I had the choice of being around a smart person and a nice or fun person, I take the latter. Cuz smart azzes can become a lil annoying!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Yah but, we Canadians know our gazintas...

2 gazinta 4 twice, 3 gazinta 9 three times...
    hey i was wondering...how does your igloo compare to mine?...and i don't know about you guys, but ottawa gave us this new high powered ski lift, and are flying in a whole bunch of dogs from Nunavut for our dog sleds
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    LOL... This reminds of the "Jay-walking" segment Jay Leno does on the Tonight show where he asks simple general knowledge questions to people on the streets to see how 'stupid' the average person is. Once you actually think about, it actually is good that less than 50% of the people in this country actually vote huh!?
    But which 50%...
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Now if only science can convert fat cells to brain cells, we would have a sure Nobel Prize winner here.

http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2005/
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    Now if only science can convert fat cells to brain cells, we would have a sure Nobel Prize winner here.

http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2005/
    That I would support! -LOL

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    While it appears that 20% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth, Japanese children think that's true at a rate of 40%. I always thought they had a better educational system then we did. Whatever

Japan Times
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    While it appears that 20% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth, Japanese children think that's true at a rate of 40%. I always thought they had a better educational system then we did. Whatever

Japan Times
    I think a lot of folks believe that, including myself. -LOL

But maybe it's the educational discipline and time studying that gives them the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I think a lot of folks believe that, including myself. -LOL
    What, that the sun revolves around the earth, or that the Japanese have better schools??
    The educational thing. I contributed it more to their approach, hadn't really thought of it in terms of schools. I guess cuz my kids go to private schools here.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    The educational thing.
    oopps...hehehe...oh
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast