Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    40% of Japanese children in 4th thru 6th grade. The original article says 20% of ALL Americans. I think the latter is a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherv
    1 in 5 Americans think that the sun revolves around the earth
    It doesn't?

and hofo_mofo, I'm not sure about your igloo, but mine is melting away due to global warming here at the North Pole.. and dang it there are so many baby seals around here I can't get out for my case of beer....
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I don't think this specific instance can be faulted on our education system. I'll bet that 99% of these people were in a classroom at one time and learned the layout of the solar system. I'd bet most made clay and foam models of it. The problem is they weren't paying attention, got it wrong on the test and never retained the knowledge.

It's just the geography question on a grand scale. They can't correctly pick out a state on a map or place the earth in it's proper place in the universe.
  4. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Plus it's not "wrong", it's just how you look at it. Movement is relative, so even though the various motions are easier to explain in the heliocentric model, the geocentric model of the solar system was never "wrong" just a lot more complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    oopps...hehehe...oh
    I read it the same way you did!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Plus it's not "wrong", it's just how you look at it. Movement is relative, so even though the various motions are easier to explain in the heliocentric model, the geocentric model of the solar system was never "wrong" just a lot more complicated.
    I've read some articles about geocentralism and the big claim to fame these folks have is that you can't prove them wrong....even though the system to make this work is GREATLY more complicated. I think that a good portion of that 1 in 5 may be religous nuts trying to explain the old testament. (Note: I'm a Catholic and believe in the Catholic church...but my explanation of faith is to believe in things without proof...not believe in things that are contrary to proof).

Here's a link to a Catholic Forum where a discussion on geocentralism has been going on. Warning though...even the "nuts" can get very technical. And just to make sure I'm clear....I do NOT believe in this idiotic idea!

Geocentralism 101
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I read it the same way you did!
    You would!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    omfg, did anyone bother to follow this link? JEBUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markjwyatt
    The Fathers were not claiming to know the exact physics which allow geocentrism to exist. Only the simple, irrefutable Scriptural fact that the earth is immobile and the sun and stars revolve around it.
    People actually believe this?! wow.........
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    omfg, did anyone bother to follow this link? JEBUS!!

People actually believe this?! wow.........

Yup...kinda makes me embarrassed that these are fellow Catholics stating this nonsense. Like I said earlier. Faith is believing in things without proof....not believing in things CONTRARY to proof!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I think there is a difference between those who are aware others believe that the sun is the center of the solar system, but actively choose for various reasons to believe something else....and those who never gave it any thought and just assumed from their vantage point that sun revolves around the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    You would!
    I wasn't the only one. Must've been a problem with the message.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I wasn't the only one. Must've been a problem with the message.
    operator error
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    But which 50%...
    Depends on whether it's a Red state or a Blue state (fill in the details according to the state you reside in -----)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Depends on whether it's a Red state or a Blue state (fill in the details according to the state you reside in -----)
    Ahhhh...I get it now
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    It doesn't?

and hofo_mofo, I'm not sure about your igloo, but mine is melting away due to global warming here at the North Pole.. and dang it there are so many baby seals around here I can't get out for my case of beer....
    share em with the seals...im sure they will bring you fish
    I thought the American population was much larger than 5
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I thought the American population was much larger than 5
    Municipalities with a population of 5 or less

New Amsterdam (town) IN

Lost Springs (town) WY

Hove Mobile (city) ND

Monowi (village) NE

Hillsview (town) SD

Gross (village) NE

Baker (village) MO

Maza (city) ND
    Don't forget Bust, CO
    Pop: 0
    Just a roadhouse in the Rockies, those who work there live out of town.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Don't forget Bust, CO
    Pop: 0
    Just a roadhouse in the Rockies, those who work there live out of town.
    What's the zip code??
    I think, in fact, that it falls under the jurisdiction of Cascade, CO. They just have a great official-looking sign on the Ute Pass west of Colorado Springs stating "Bust, CO, Pop:0".
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast