Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    nothing political here -- but I thought someone should mention that in addition to our tragedies in New Orleans and Mississippi, we should be aware that a huge 141MPH Typhoon is right now going ashore in Taipei Taiwan, and that at least 841 people died today in Bagdad when panicked worshippers -- fearing that a suicide bomber was in their midst, stampeded ...

At least 841 people were killed and at least 323 were injured, an Interior Ministry official said early this evening in Baghdad, the greatest loss of life in 24 hours since the war began in March 2003.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    nothing political here -- but I thought someone should mention that in addition to our tragedies in New Orleans and Mississippi, we should be aware that a huge 141MPH Typhoon is right now attacking Taipei Taiwan, and that at least 841 people died today in Bagdad when panicked worshippers -- fearing that a suicide bomber was in their midst, stampeded ...

At least 841 people were killed and at least 323 were injured, an Interior Ministry official said early this evening in Baghdad, the greatest loss of life in 24 hours since the war began in March 2003.
    Yeah, that is just unbelievable to me that over 800 people can die in a stampede from either being crushed or jumping off a 30 foot bridge into a river. I was stunned when I read that article this morning.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Yeah, that is just unbelievable to me that over 800 people can die in a stampede from either being crushed or jumping off a 30 foot bridge into a river. I was stunned when I read that article this morning.
    most deaths were due to drowning in the tigris
    What is most striking to me is how many people are departing this life in mass (hurricanes, typhoon, stampede...plus not to forget the two plan crashes just weeks ago). And, all this is besides the individual deaths from crime as well as accident.

The songwriter reminds us to number our days, to the end that we may behave more wisely (paraphrased)
    Could this be the start of Armageddon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Could this be the start of Armageddon?
    I don't think it's quite time for the "Is it The End of Days?" thread yet.
    I'm back!
    Oh how I would enjoy engaging on such topics. Many generations have perceived their own to be the last. Yet we are here. So, clearly they were mistaken.

That notwithstanding, the events of our time, coupled with the latest technology that enables things that prior to now could only be imagined, sure add fuel to the fire.
  8.    #8  
    (because of how sensitive everybody has been here today -- I'm slightly worried that this will be misconstrued...)

below is literally my second post in O.T. -- it was in the thread about the retirement of Justice O'Connor:

I think "saved" souls are about be called to heaven -- and we atheists are to be doomed to eternal damnation --

because yo, the Apocalypse has arrived !!!

link
    Didn't see retiring justice on the list, but it certainly was a monumentous event in context
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Oh how I would enjoy engaging on such topics. Many generations have perceived their own to be the last. Yet we are here. So, clearly they were mistaken.

That notwithstanding, the events of our time, coupled with the latest technology that enables things that prior to now could only be imagined, sure add fuel to the fire.
    And you think the ID vs. Evolution thread was heated? This would make the pitbull thread look like child's play.

I'll stand up and be the first person from our generation to say that this is NOT the start of End of Days.

Just a predictable shift in global weather patterns, not related to global warming or any sort of Apocalypse.
    I'm back!
  11.    #11  
    that big hairy guy's first comment about one of my postings:

"Without naming names, I've seen some paranoid, if not just stupidly ridiculous comments in this thread..."

as we begin, so shall we end ...

As you could guess, I'd enjoy this, too.

Rest assured. The book tells you that you won't get any warning. It'll just happen.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    As you could guess, I'd enjoy this, too.

Rest assured. The book tells you that you won't get any warning. It'll just happen.

a week ago the Simpson's reran was an episode where Homer has a vision of the apocolype -- after watching a movie called "Left Below"

He then uses his own equations to several times wrongly predict the coming Rapture. But then the Rapture does happen, but he's the only one in his family to get called to heaven... amusing episode --

Also The History Channel ran a documentary on The Apocolyse, Revelations, and the history of messianic predictions of it through the centuries, a week ago

Aparently besides Homer, many have thought that the date was predicted in the book ...

(I have both still if anyone is interested in them, and can host ...)
    I'll stand up and be the first person from our generation to say that this is NOT the start of End of Days.

Just a predictable shift in global weather patterns, not related to global warming or any sort of Apocalypse.
    This comment reminds me of some thoughts I was having a few days ago as I read about the, then predicted, hurricane. I was recalling how such events are referred to as "acts of god."

It is sometimes commonly stated that the designation "act of god" was used because people had no rational explanation for what ws occuring. But, given that we have much broader knowledge of cause and effect, we no longer need to use such pseudonyms.

However, it occured to me, that perhaps people called them "acts of god" because.....they believed they are/were indeed acts of god, with or without regard to their level of knowledge of the causes of such phenomena.

OK, shop, where are you going?

Not sure. But come with me

I don't think that our ability to comprehend, and even explain the phenomena makes it any more or less an "act of god."

I don't know if the phenomena we're seeing across the globe are "apocalyptic signs."

Given the track record of the old book as it relates to predictions, I believe it's worth payinng attention
  15.    #15  
    This comment reminds me of some thoughts I was having a few days ago as I read about the, then predicted, hurricane. I was recalling how such events are referred to as "acts of god."

It is sometimes commonly stated that the designation "act of god" was used because people had no rational explanation for what ws occuring. But, given that we have much broader knowledge of cause and effect, we no longer need to use such pseudonyms.

However, it occured to me, that perhaps people called them "acts of god" because.....they believed they are/were indeed acts of god, with or without regard to their level of knowledge of the causes of such phenomena.

I don't think that our ability to comprehend, and even explain the phenomena makes it any more or less an "act of god."

I don't know if the phenomena we're seeing across the globe are "apocalyptic signs."

Given the track record of the old book as it relates to predictions, I believe it's worth payinng attention

The History Channel documentary (and the Simpson's episode) had as their subtext the rather inglorious hiistory of apocolyptic predictions of the "END OF THE WORLD IS NIE" kind of thing.

It happened around the year 1000, the year 1003(?) (the annversary of the supposed resurrection),it happened with great intensity in the 1840's, and it happened alot around Y2K.

I think you already know Shopharim, that I am the hardest of hardcore non-believers.

But it is inevitable (and understandable) that these events are going to resurrect that "rapture" end of days phenomenon.

With interest I await how it gets spun that some of the most directly damaged areas have legalized gambling -- while simultaneously they are also some of our most religious.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2005 at 11:58 AM.

As someone who previously worked at an insurance company, I don't believe the phrase "act of God" means much more these days than as a convenient out for companies to not pay out claims to people who desperately need it.

Don't even get me started on the fact that many of these homeowners are SOL because the water came in their house from the lake and not from the sky, therefore requiring a flood insurance policy for a valid claim.

But I still don't think that the recent spate of severe hurricanes is anything more than a predictable shift in the recurrence and severity of hurricanes, which from an article I read a while back, seems to run in 20 year cycles. As someone who has lived in SoFla my whole life, I remember the vast majority of hurricane seasons during the 80's and 90's (Andrew excluded) being very quiet, and it's only been the past 2 or 3 years where there has been an appreciable difference.

If San Andreas were to open up tomorrow and swallow LA and SF, I'd probably change my tune pretty fast though.
    I'm back!
    For me, it is not the "natuaral disasters" that are as much at the heart of my intrigue as that of the events in Israel.

And, for the record, Barye, I find that the harder the core of the non-believer, the more powerful the resulting witness (and the better questions I get to wrestle with in the interim).
    As someone who previously worked at an insurance company, I don't believe the phrase "act of God" means much more these days than as a convenient out for companies to not pay out claims to people who desperately need it.

Don't even get me started on the fact that many of these homeowners are SOL because the water came in their house from the lake and not from the sky, therefore requiring a flood insurance policy for a valid claim.
    Don't get me started either. I'ts one of my soap box issues. First, insurance is virtually mandated for everything, yet the insurers can drop me for.....utilizing the very coverage that I'm purchasing.

But I still don't think that the recent spate of severe hurricanes is anything more than a predictable shift in the recurrence and severity of hurricanes, which from an article I read a while back, seems to run in 20 year cycles. As someone who has lived in SoFla my whole life, I remember the vast majority of hurricane seasons during the 80's and 90's (Andrew excluded) being very quiet, and it's only been the past 2 or 3 years where there has been an appreciable difference.

If San Andreas were to open up tomorrow and swallow LA and SF, I'd probably change my tune pretty fast though.
    Stay tuned
    And, for the record, Barye, I find that the harder the core of the non-believer, the more powerful the resulting witness (and the better questions I get to wrestle with in the interim).
    Ha! Know what you mean! I used to ridicule people like me.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  20.    #20  
    For me, it is not the "natuaral disasters" that are as much at the heart of my intrigue as that of the events in Israel.

are you hoping for a conversion on the way to Damascus ?? err -- New Orleans ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast