Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I really need your help on this one. I work for a relative small health institution that has a PC as an Intranet web server for about eight asp.Net applications. Of which 3 are used a lot on the daily basis and we are looking on migrating an acess application, which is used a lot by two people on the daily basis. My proposal is that we need to migrate our Pentium 4 Win 2k with 800Mb of RAM to a real Web Server because of reliability and speed, but my boss says she wants to see a real proposal with facts and reasons. Could you guys help me with that?

Thanks a lot,

Al
    Since you made the recommendation to your boss, what was your reasoning? What do you consider to be a real web server? Do you know what the current load on the system is now?
    Last edited by alex_mathews; 08/30/2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Hi guys,

I really need your help on this one. I work for a relative small health institution that has a PC as an Intranet web server for about eight asp.Net applications. Of which 3 are used a lot on the daily basis and we are looking on migrating an acess application, which is used a lot by two people on the daily basis. My proposal is that we need to migrate our Pentium 4 Win 2k with 800Mb of RAM to a real Web Server because of reliability and speed, but my boss says she wants to see a real proposal with facts and reasons. Could you guys help me with that?

Thanks a lot,

Al
    What's a "real web server" if not Win 2k?
    Al,

Take a look at ApplicationX (https://applicationx.net/techsavings.asp). I've used them for the past three years and they're fantastic! This link helps break down the potential savings. I was in your shoes with a small app but needed the reliability and speed.

Tell Misty that Rob sent you.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I think he's talking 'bout justifying the hardware cost, not software.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Apache.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    I think he's talking 'bout justifying the hardware cost, not software.

Yes, I'm talking about the hardware. We have a Compaq Presario PC as our webserver and we know it isn't made to be used as a server, but initially we were only running a couple of applications. Now, it is the time to get a more reliable machine, but I need to justify why we need the hardware.

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Apache.
    ".net" applications.
    Yes, I'm talking about the hardware. We have a Compaq Presario PC as our webserver and we know it isn't made to be used as a server, but initially we were only running a couple of applications. Now, it is the time to get a more reliable machine, but I need to justify why we need the hardware.

Thanks,

Al

Where's the heavy weight? Sounds like you have more than enough hardware to run that. I'm runniing a server on a 366 with a half gig of ram, ASP on iis with MySQL and it gets 1500 visitors a day and has no issues.
    Oooo...daThomas has a Greenie now!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I agree with daThomas about the system probably being powerful enough for what it's being used for. Now, reliability is a different story when you compare PC hardware with server hardware. I think Treolo needs to define what he means by reliable, because that could mean anything from having RAID to redundant everything.
    ".net" applications.
    Now you're talking!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Oooo...daThomas has a Greenie now!

???
    ???
    Your side never sees the fine points! You'll figure it out next election maybe.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

15.    #15  
    The 3 applications that worry me the most are the ones that are used a lot every day. They are asp.net applications that query data from our warehouse which is in a different server. All the applications use data adapters and data readers to query data from our warehouse.
    My biggest concern is availability, these app need to be always available and I don't think a PC is appropiate for that, but I need to justify that. I guess even if it is BS on your side it would help

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Your side never sees the fine points! You'll figure it out next election maybe.
    Ah the icon. It's a thousand posts?

Next election starts next month.

Thread Crapper

The 3 applications that worry me the most are the ones that are used a lot every day. They are asp.net applications that query data from our warehouse which is in a different server. All the applications use data adapters and data readers to query data from our warehouse.
    My biggest concern is availability, these app need to be always available and I don't think a PC is appropiate for that, but I need to justify that. I guess even if it is BS on your side it would help

Thanks,

Al
    Like alex said. Besides redundancy and such, "PC" and "Server" might as well be the same thing.
    daThomas, that was about the worst 1,000th post I have ever seen, no offense
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    daThomas, that was about the worst 1,000th post I have ever seen, no offense
    Yea, I wasn't paying attention to my post count. Just like I don't pay attention to my b-day. I'm only 32. Really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast