Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I was asking him not to respond to jmills post.
    Sorry.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    You are right NRG. My apologies. I have deleted my response.
    Thanks.
    Can I ask a question? I don't understand why the breach in the levee could not be fixed, after all it does not seem unexpected that they may break. Is there a reason why it cannot be filled with sandbags, dirt, or whatever, from helicopters?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    you seem to be the right person to ask ---

why by design are the pumps not given a backup source of power --- and why are they configured so that a catastrophic flood can overwhelm them ??

It would seem reasonable to keep vulnerable parts above any possible inundation ??
    By design, they do have a backup source of power. To ensure that the backup supply is not disrupted, it is close to the pumps. The scenario that we have here is a worst case. That is, primary supply is out to all pumps, all backup power supplies under water.

Keep in mind that the pumps are not there to deal with the lake, with hundred year events, but with "routine" rainfall. Note that routine in NO often exceeds an inch an hour.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Can I ask a question? I don't understand why the breach in the levee could not be fixed, after all it does not seem unexpected that they may break. Is there a reason why it cannot be filled with sandbags, dirt, or whatever, from helicopters?
    One of the reasons is the shear size of the breach. It developed rapidly and was estimated at over 200 foot wide almost immediately. They are trying to plug a hole roughly the size of a football field while thousands of gallons of water is pouring through the hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    By design, they do have a backup source of power. To ensure that the backup supply is not disrupted, it is close to the pumps. The scenario that we have here is a worst case. That is, primary supply is out to all pumps, all backup power supplies under water.

Keep in mind that the pumps are not there to deal with the lake, with hundred year events, but with "routine" rainfall. Note that routine in NO often exceeds an inch an hour.
    The NO pumps have two sources of power. One is electricity, the other is diesel. The engines to the pumps don't work when they're under water. The further away the pump source from water, the less effective it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Where is that little Dutch boy when you need him!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray

whmurray-- do you know why the required hardware was not situated above the flooding that it was meant, as least partially, to abate ??

How hard would it have been to build a 30 foot platform ?

(asking rational questions does not imply a lack of compassion)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I am starting this thread to tally what our small community of Treo users can donate. Please donate to the Red Cross here. The idea is to help these folks that are in the south with some much needed money and supplies. I understand that some of you cannot donate as much as you would like but 5 bucks isn't much to ask, it is a coffee at Starbucks. Once you have donated please post your receipt here. Remember this is tax deductible!! Come on folks dig into your pockets.

I will start. I have donated $50 to the Red Cross and my assitance with a vessel if they need it.

Here is my receipt:

Thank you for your generous gift to the American Red Cross 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund. This fund makes it possible for the Red Cross to help nationwide Hurricane disaster victims of 2005 with critical needs such as shelter, food, clothing, counseling and other assistance. It's because of the 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund that our response can be immediate regardless of its location or the community’s ability to financially support our efforts.

Your generous support means the most to the families who rely on Red Cross to help them through some of the most difficult times of their lives.

Please continue to visit us at http://www.redcross.org/ to see how we’re using your 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund donation to make a difference, and for the most current disaster updates and stories about the people being helped.

Together, we can save a life.

American Red Cross

Check the online directory of matching gift companies to find out if your company will match your gift. http://www.case.org/new_mg/default.c...184-XXXXXXXXXX

Please print or save this message for your personal records.

Contact Information
    Name:
    NRG

Address:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785
    United States

Email Address:
    XXXXXXXX@tampabay.rr.com

Donation Information
    Donation Form:
    Hurricane 2005 Relief and other Related Events

Donation Level:
    Enter Amount

Gift Amount:
    $50.00

Tax-deductible Amount:
    $50.00

This organization's tax ID is:
    53-0196605

Tracking Code:
    1555-1161-1-17778-xxxx

This letter serves as the tax receipt for your gift. The American Red Cross is a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization as described in section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code for 1984, as amended. Our tax identification number is 53-0196605. Adequate records will be maintained and made available to the IRS upon request. In accordance with IRS regulations, no goods or services were provided to the donor by the American Red Cross as part of this contribution.

Your gift may be recognized in future Red Cross publications. If you prefer your gift to remain anonymous, or have questions about your gift’s designation, or would like to learn more about the services that the Red Cross is committed to providing, please call 1-800-797-8022.
    Last edited by NRG; 08/31/2005 at 12:39 PM.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hey kids there is a donation thread to see what T|C can do. I suggest you go check it out. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...517#post791517
    Don't respond to it Clulup, let's not bring in politics to this tragedy.
    There was nothing political about my statement.
    I'm back!
    You didn't need to post your receipt, NRG. If you say you donated I believe you. As misguided as your political beliefs may be , I can tell by your willingness to donate your time and boats that you truly are a compassionate person. Times like this are where people like you shine.

My company has made a large donation to the Red Cross, and as someone who has seem how long it really takes for a community to recover from a hurricane, would like to see more put in.
    I'm back!
    $100 for now
    donated $100.

also sent some unused clothes....
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    donated $100.

Never thought I would applaud a post by Nudist!!!!!!!! You rock!
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    $100 for now
    Good work.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    donated $100.

Nice!
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You didn't need to post your receipt, NRG. If you say you donated I believe you. As misguided as your political beliefs may be , I can tell by your willingness to donate your time and boats that you truly are a compassionate person. Times like this are where people like you shine.

My company has made a large donation to the Red Cross, and as someone who has seem how long it really takes for a community to recover from a hurricane, would like to see more put in.
    Thanks for the kind words. Are you the owner of the company?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Thanks for the kind words. Are you the owner of the company?
    No, when I say "my", it's as in "the company I work for". It's a Fortune 500 company. We have a company funded relief fund to help out employees during these times, we also partner with large relief organizations and provide donations to help out.
    I'm back!
    I feel like a cheap a$$. I only donated $50 (last night)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast