Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206065666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1405
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    interesting point of view, joebar.

however, I believe the namecalling ACTUALLY began with the following post below, ....

"if left alone righties will inevitably devolve into doing the circle jerk -- its unhealthy for them..

- barye

however ya want to spin it though, joe. sheesh. lefties.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The left are weak. They expect, no demand the Government take care of them. The govt can go to hell, I can take care of my own family. When you start relying on your govt, your a liberal.
    yeah, the government can go to hell -- good call ATM

Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    interesting point of view, joebar.

however, I believe the namecalling ACTUALLY began with the following post below, ....

"if left alone righties will inevitably devolve into doing the circle jerk -- its unhealthy for them..

- barye

however ya want to spin it though, joe. sheesh. lefties.

Circle Jerk: "The term "mutual masturbation" is often used as a vulgar metaphor. It can refer to a situation, often in the workplace or academia, where people are stroking each other's ego without producing anything of value." (Wikipedia)
    sheesh ....

by now you all know my slightly subversive attempts to simulate wit.

That dig was at the self abusive tendency of righties when left alone to do unmentionable things to each others prejudices and assumptions.

I came home late one night to read post after post in this thread derisively repeating the same talking point cant: how if only the stupid NO politicians had performed their job better, junior would not have been held unfairly responsible for the catastrophe.

For a debate to be interesting you usually need an opponent for whom you have respect. But in this thread last week there was a circle of self abuse uninterrupted by any leftists. (At least in this forum) I have never seen a clutch of lefties similarly sitting around massaging each other in affirmative agreement.

That was the context of that particular quote.

It was a broad dig -- not directed personally at anyone -- but I hope within the humor there was an understood germ of truth.

I've not been here much during the last week as I've been preoccupied with work and volunteering on behalf of something happening this weekend in DC.

So my modest contributions have been the occasional barb or comic strip commentary.

vw2002 I sometimes fear that you take what I write slightly more personally that I warrant -- or maybe its because my writing skillz are beginning to atrophy. I want to get a chuckle from those I broadly tease -- and I'm disappointed when for instance ATM has not countered with humor to what I wrote -- or that no one commented on the lengthy thing I wrote in the Capt'n Hook thread.

When there is already so much that we (enjoyably) disagree about -- its good not to be disagreeable with one another...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/22/2005 at 08:40 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    update.

Source: NOLA.com

Investigation into levee failure uncovers culprit

By John McQuaid
    Washington bureau

WASHINGTON - Soil tests indicate that a soft, spongy layer of swamp peat underneath the 17th Street canal floodwall was the weak point that caused soil to move and the wall to breach during Hurricane Katrina, an engineer who has studied the data says.

"The thing that is remarkable here is the very low strength of the soils around the bottom of the sheet pile" base of the floodwall, said Robert Bea, a geotechnical engineer at the University of California, Berkeley, who examined the test results. Bea is a member of the National Science Foundation team that is studying the levee system's performance during Katrina.

Bea said other data shows the same peat layer also runs under the London Avenue canal breaches and probably was instrumental in the collapses there as well.

-snip-

Think of a layer cake - in the middle I've got my icing. All of a sudden, I push on the top of my piece of cake, and what it's moving on is this weak, slick icing. The whole thing moves," said Thomas Zimmie, a civil engineer at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute who is on the National Science Foundation team and surveyed the levees this week.

-snip-
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am glad to see that Gov. Blanco has not changed since Katrina devastated NO. I especially like the new Horse Arena in Morehouse Parish, after all that would be more important than trying to shore up levees, or increase the number of pumps in NO or a host of other storm related projects.

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS05/510210334
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I am glad to see that Gov. Blanco has not changed since Katrina devastated NO. I especially like the new Horse Arena in Morehouse Parish, after all that would be more important than trying to shore up levees, or increase the number of pumps in NO or a host of other storm related projects.

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS05/510210334
    Her priorities may be irrelevant. When does she stand for re-election? Voters in Louisiana are famous for their short memories but not that short.
    These CBS and NBC news exposes blow the lies from Brownie, junior, and their apologists right into the fetid muck.

CBS News: FEMA Disaster Dining Pt. 1

NBC News: FEMA Disaster Dining Pt. 2

(in case the link is not working, the direct urls

http://media.putfile.com/FEMA-Disaster-Dining-Pt-2

http://media.putfile.com/FEMA-Disaster-Dining-Pt-1
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    These CBS and NBC news exposes blow the lies from Brownie, junior, and their apologists right into the fetid muck.

CBS News: FEMA Disaster Dining Pt. 1

NBC News: FEMA Disaster Dining Pt. 2

(in case the link is not working, the direct urls

http://media.putfile.com/FEMA-Disaster-Dining-Pt-2

http://media.putfile.com/FEMA-Disaster-Dining-Pt-1
    BARYE, you forgot that both video clips said failure at ALL levels. I think that has been stated here numerous times ALL levels failed. Guess who is closest, Nagin and Blanco gotta start there.
    BARYE, you forgot that both video clips said failure at ALL levels. I think that has been stated here numerous times ALL levels failed. Guess who is closest, Nagin and Blanco gotta start there.

the core message of those 2 news videos is that Brownie was more interested in his dining plans then the state of desperate drowning starving people.

Even Chortoff the "homeland security" chief has acknowledged that they did not properly respond -- and that HE had no trouble communicating with the local officials and dealing with juridiction -- and many of Brownie's other excuses ...
    the core message of those 2 news videos is that Brownie was more interested in his dining plans then the state of desperate drowning starving people.

Even Chortoff the "homeland security" chief has acknowledged that they did not properly respond -- and that HE had no trouble communicating with the local officials and dealing with juridiction -- and many of Brownie's other excuses ...
    Had state and local officials followed their preparedness plan, Brownie would still have his job. They (state and local) couldn't of screwed up any worse.

Yes, yes, Brown was incompetent... and now he's gone.

Those most immediately responsible for the suffering in New Orleans however are still there. Your constant harping on Brown with no mention of the local officials whose duty it was (and still is) to provide for their electorate is transparently political and certainly makes it appear as though you care not a whit for the people of New Orleans. By ignoring the obvious and most immediate cause in favor of scoring cheap political points those like you make it more - not less - likely that something like this will happen again.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Brown is no longer in a postion to help or hinder future disasters. Unfortunately for the people of New Orleans the mayor and governor are still there. They continue to use funds that could be used to upgrade safety concerns, for projects like horse arenas (maybe they are going to offer Brown a job with the horses). Even the governor has acknowledged the local and state did not do enough, but unlike Chortoff, she is doing nothing to hold individuals responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Had state and local officials followed their preparedness plan, Brownie would still have his job. They (state and local) couldn't of screwed up any worse.
    That's the POINT. A disaster wipes out the ability for State & Local to address the problem. That's what FEMA is for. This guy Brownie is a POS and yes it's cronyism pure and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    That's the POINT. A disaster wipes out the ability for State & Local to address the problem. That's what FEMA is for. This guy Brownie is a POS and yes it's cronyism pure and simple.
    These were all parked before any disaster even arrived. This is but one example of local incompetence.

Brown was obviously incompetent. No one's arguing with you on that.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I think everyone understands FEMAs role, no one is saying they did a great job. Brown was removed form his position.

However the local and state official actions, or lack of action directly impacted the amount of work required of FEMA. If they had done their portion the disaster would not have been as severe. Now the local and state officials should remove those responsible from their positions.
    I think everyone understands FEMAs role, no one is saying they did a great job. Brown was removed form his position.

However the local and state official actions, or lack of action directly impacted the amount of work required of FEMA. If they had done their portion the disaster would not have been as severe. Now the local and state officials should remove those responsible from their positions.
    Of course. The local and state populous will handle that. I am not within that group but I can call on my Federal gov't and it's agencies to atone for pathetic handling of their responsibilities in the situation and to determine how such ineptness came to these resposible positions and make sure it doesn't repeat itself.
    For what it's worth: Katrina appears to have been a cat 3 hurricane when it hit NO. The floodwalls and levees were *not* overtopped. They appear to have failed due to design flaws even though they were supposedly able to withstand a cat 3.

As bad as Katrina was, it was not the Big One.