Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1405
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I was in Los Angeles for the Northridge earthquake. Five elevated roadways collapsed. The local press was furious. On the other hand, there are hundreds of miles of elevated roadways in Los Angeles County and only a handful broke. Making those five stronger would not have cost much. However, raising the standard across all of the hundreds of miles so that they could all survive what the five failed to survive would have cost hundreds of billiions.

    To ensure that the levees never fail has infinite cost. We will always stop before that.
    Point taken. But this area (17th St. Canal) was cited specifically by the Army Corps.
  2. #122  
    I wouldn't be surprised that New Orleans will be rebuilt for tourism. What I mean is the vast area of homes, will be demoed an acquired for a buffer zone, maybe even incorporated as part of the Lake and the French Quarter/Riverfront and Business District will be spared. There is no way they will rebuild so it is exactly like it was pre-hurricane. No one would get insurance. What company would write it?
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Point taken. But this area (17th St. Canal) was cited specifically by the Army Corps.
    I read somewhere last night, a company was working in this area till the day before the storm. Who's to say if it was properly secured, the increase water pressure on the levee wouldn't of failed elsewhere? Who knows, certainly doesn't matter at this point.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I read somewhere last night, a company was working in this area till the day before the storm. Who's to say if it was properly secured, the increase water pressure on the levee wouldn't of failed elsewhere? Who knows, certainly doesn't matter at this point.

    it matters if we are to learn from this, to perhaps do things better the next time...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    it matters if we are to learn from this, to perhaps do things better the next time...
    Hopefully the people in charge right now aren't worrying about the cause. I hope they are concerned on how to rescue and move people out of NO. There will be plenty of time for engineering after LIVES are saved.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Where is the international support? Why havent other countries pledged support? I guess our disasters just dont count in the eyes of the world.
    You need help? Ask for it, and we will help without hesitation.

    However, I stongly doubt the US will ASK for help in this case. After all, you are not a third world country such as Sri Lanka or Indonesia. Just to remind you, India, a semi-third world county, said they could handle the Tsunami aftermath alone and did not ask for help. I don't think the Indians were whining about (supposed) lack of international support two days after the Tsunami.

    But, again, I do not have the slightest doubt that you will get all the help you ask for, IN CASE some US authorities ask for it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    You need help? Ask for it, and we will help without hesitation.

    However, I stongly doubt the US will ASK for help in this case. After all, you are not a third world country such as Sri Lanka or Indonesia. Just to remind you, India, a semi-third world county, said they could handle the Tsunami aftermath alone and did not ask for help. I don't think the Indians were whining about (supposed) lack of international support two days after the Tsunami.

    But, again, I do not have the slightest doubt that you will get all the help you ask for, IN CASE some US authorities ask for it.
    Other countries will help. I heard Germany was the first major country to do it. I'm always amazed on the lack of help mid-eastern countries are.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I'm sure Clulup will have a matrix with raw and per capita donations for us soon enough. I fully expect Switzerland and the rest of the tiny European nations to be near the top of the matrix, since they gave so much to tsunami relief.
    So you are a third world country now in dire need of foreign aid? Interesting.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    So you are a third world country now in dire need of foreign aid? Interesting.
    Don't respond to it Clulup, let's not bring in politics to this tragedy.
  10. #130  
    Air Force One is flying over New Orleans - just reported.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You shouldnt dabble in things outside your area of expertise, besides who could possibly take anyone serious when they identify themselves as "Official Thread-Crapper and Poo Slinger - this recess appointment valid until Treo 700 comes out (yes it is a lifetime appointment)

    Next Goal: Forum-Crapper (one must always dream). " Sheesh...
    so i guess that makes it okay for you to make snide remarks while a major disaster is hitting our folks? But you're good company with folks like Barye.

    "Education is like ....really wasted on you"
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    so i guess that makes it okay for you to make snide remarks while a major disaster is hitting our folks? But you're good company with folks like Barye.

    "Education is like ....really wasted on you"
    How bout you two PM each other - keep it off this thread.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Other countries will help. I heard Germany was the first major country to do it. I'm always amazed on the lack of help mid-eastern countries are.
    I seriously hope the US can get helicopters, boats, food, clothing, medical supplies, and everything else needed to NO much faster than the rest of the world... it would be really sad if you would have to wait until those things arrive from Europe or Canada. But again, tell us what you need, and we will help.
    Last edited by clulup; 08/31/2005 at 12:01 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    so i guess that makes it okay for you to make snide remarks while a major disaster is hitting our folks? But you're good company with folks like Barye.

    "Education is like ....really wasted on you"
    While my thoughts go out to everyone involved, you have made a point to lower this to personal attacks....have you no shame!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I seriously hope the US can get helicopters, boats, food, clothing, medical supplies, and everything else needed to NO much faster than the rest of the world... it would be really sad if you would have to wait until those things arrive from Europe or Canada. But again, tell us what you need, and we will help.
    Nice jab. Give me a break.
  16. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Don't respond to it Clulup, let's not bring in politics to this tragedy.
    ATM, hate to do this, but you started it.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I seriously hope the US can get helicopters, boats, food, clothing, medical supplies, and everything else needed to NO much faster than the rest of the world... it would be really sad if you would have to wait until those things arrive from Europe or Canada. But again, tell us what you need, and we will help.
    We don't need anything Clulup. America takes care of it's own during these times.

    But I could use another Movado if you want to send one over to me
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #138  
    Alright I think this has gone far enough. NO MORE BICKERING!!!
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    ATM, hate to do this, but you started it.
    I was asking him not to respond to jmills post.
  20. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Alright I think this has gone far enough. NO MORE BICKERING!!!
    You are right NRG. My apologies. I have deleted my response.
Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions