Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1405
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    This is what LEADERS do ????

I want to let that go -- but after after 2 wks of his trying to squirm out of responsibility by whispering blame toward Blanco, Nagin, and Brownie -- after a history that includes squirming out of taking responsibility for 9/11, for the monumental screw up of Iraq, of not getting Bin Laden, of outing a CIA agent...

Until now when has he taken responsibility ?? when has he acknowledged a failure of his ??? when has he fired an appointee of his for something like 9/11 or Iraq -- or even Brownie for New Orleans ??

He is now saying that ONLY because the american people have witnessed this catastrophe in their own eyes while hearing him praise the wonderfulness of the mission of his horse show FEMA appointee.
    Your predictable response is exactly what Rove was counting on.

That you for your contribution toward increasing the Republican majority in 2006.
    Yes. This is what leaders do.

There are plenty of reasons for him to do this. I'm not evaluating the reasons.

He said what he needed to say. It was the right thing to do. We don't see enough of this from ALL of us.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    why didn't Clinton deal with Katrina when HE was President ?!!??
    He would of slept with her instead of stopping her.

Kidding aside, Clinton as great of a President as he was, should of provided a better evacuation plan for New Orleans and strengthened the levees.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Kidding aside,
    Somehow I don't think you mean this.

Clinton as great of a President as he was, should of provided a better evacuation plan for New Orleans and strengthened the levees.
    And there it is
    Well he's a little late, but its nice to actually hear it..

It's still 100% the fault of the local government!! The evil liberal media made up this bs quote!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Somehow I don't think you mean this.

And there it is

ding ding ding... !!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)

junior will use this awful tragedy to award billions more to his cronies like Halliburton -- and as a pretext to suspend the law (dating from the depression) that requires federal contractors to pay the region's prevailing wages.

As happened in Iraq, they are importing contractors and workers to rebuild New Orleans (from Alabama for example) -- rather than employing the thousands of displaced and now homeless New Orleanians.

Wages throughout the south are already less than the national norm. By gutting the Davis Bacon Act which requires that federal contractors pay fair wages, junior is using the pretext of the hurricane to do something that republicans have long wanted to.

Shameless ...

Excerpts:

In Storm's Ruins, a Rush to Rebuild and Reopen for Business

By JOHN M. BRODER NY Times

BATON ROUGE, La., Sept. 9 - Private contractors, guided by two former directors of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and other well-connected lobbyists and consultants, are rushing to cash in on the unprecedented sums to be spent on Hurricane Katrina relief and reconstruction.

From global engineering and construction firms like the Fluor Corporation and Halliburton to local trash removal and road-building concerns, the private sector is poised to reap a windfall of business in the largest domestic rebuilding effort ever undertaken.

Normal federal contracting rules are largely suspended in the rush to help people displaced by the storm and reopen New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. Hundreds of millions of dollars in no-bid contracts have already been let and billions more are to flow to the private sector in the weeks and months to come. Congress has already appropriated more than $62 billion for an effort that is projected to cost well over $100 billion.

Some experts warn that the crisis atmosphere and the open federal purse are a bonanza for lobbyists and private companies and are likely to lead to the contract abuses, cronyism and waste that numerous investigations have uncovered in post-war Iraq.

"They are throwing money out, they are shoveling it out the door," said James Albertine, a Washington lobbyist and past president of the American League of Lobbyists. "I'm sure every lobbyist's phone in Washington is ringing off the hook from his clients. Sixty-two billion dollars is a lot of money - and it's only a down payment."

Joe M. Allbaugh, a close friend of President Bush, the president's 2000 campaign manager and the FEMA director from 2001 to 2003, and James Lee Witt, an Arkansan close to former President Bill Clinton and a former FEMA director, are now high-priced consultants, and they have been offering their services to companies seeking or holding federal contracts in the post-hurricane gold rush.

Mr. Allbaugh said that he was helping private companies, including his clients, cut through federal red tape to speed provision of services and supplies to the storm-wracked region. Two of his major clients, Kellogg Brown & Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton, and The Shaw Group, already are at work on disaster response efforts...

Bush Suspends Pay Act In Areas Hit by Storm

By Thomas B. Edsall
    Washington Post September 9, 2005

President Bush yesterday suspended application of the federal law governing workers' pay on federal contracts in the Hurricane Katrina-damaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi. The action infuriated labor leaders and their Democratic supporters in Congress, who said it will lower wages and make it harder for union contractors to win bids.

The Davis-Bacon Act, passed in 1931 during the Great Depression, sets a minimum pay scale for workers on federal contracts by requiring contractors to pay the prevailing or average pay in the region. Suspension of the act will allow contractors to pay lower wages. Many Republicans have opposed Davis-Bacon, charging that it amounts to a taxpayer subsidy to unions.

In a letter to Congress, Bush said he has the power to suspend the law because of the national emergency caused by the hurricane: "I have found that the conditions caused by Hurricane Katrina constitute a 'national emergency.' "

Bush wrote that his decision is justified because Davis-Bacon increases construction costs, and suspension "will result in greater assistance to these devastated communities and will permit the employment of thousands of additional individuals."

AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney denounced the Bush announcement as "outrageous."

"Employers are all too eager to exploit workers," he said. "This is no time to make that easier. What a double tragedy it would be to allow the destruction of Hurricane Katrina to depress living standards even further."

Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), the ranking Democrat on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, accused Bush of "using the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to cut the wages of people desperately trying to rebuild their lives and their communities."

Miller said: "In New Orleans, where a quarter of the city was poor, the prevailing wage for construction labor is about $9 per hour, according to the Department of Labor. In effect, President Bush is saying that people should be paid less than $9 an hour to rebuild their communities."
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2005 at 05:23 PM.

junior will use this awful tragedy to award billions more to his cronies like Halliburton
    Dont forget Diebold
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    This is what leaders do.

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush says

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/kat...act/index.html

I am neither a critic nor a cheerleader of his. I just applaud this step.
    And that is why it is a claptrap. He would not do this if he could not benefit from it in some way. You watch the following weeks and we will see their plan emerge. My guess would be he is going to try and privatize FEMA's (diaster relief) responsibility. Which means more money in Bush's friends pockets.

His words are rather hollow if you take them in context. He probably still feels the Fed. did "a heck of a job". This "I take responsibility" claptrap is empty. I would like to know what does he feel he is responsible for? Is it when he ignored/went to bed without acting upon a request from Gov. Blanco to "send everything you got"?
    Source: ThinkProgress

LATE MORNING – LEVEE BREACHED: “A large section of the vital 17th Street Canal levee, where it connects to the brand new ‘hurricane proof’ Old Hammond Highway bridge, gave way late Monday morning in Bucktown after Katrina’s fiercest winds were well north.” [Times-Picayune]

11AM CDT — BUSH VISITS ARIZONA RESORT TO PROMOTE MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “This new bill I signed says, if you’re a senior and you like the way things are today, you’re in good shape, don’t change. But, by the way, there’s a lot of different options for you. And we’re here to talk about what that means to our seniors.” [White House]

4:30PM CDT — BUSH TRAVELS TO CALIFORNIA SENIOR CENTER TO DISCUSS MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “We’ve got some folks up here who are concerned about their Social Security or Medicare. Joan Geist is with us. … I could tell — she was looking at me when I first walked in the room to meet her, she was wondering whether or not old George W. is going to take away her Social Security check.” [White House]

8PM CDT — RUMSFELD ATTENDS SAN DIEGO PADRES BASEBALL GAME: Rumsfeld “joined Padres President John Moores in the owner’s box…at Petco Park.” [Editor & Publisher]

8PM CDT – GOV. BLANCO AGAIN REQUESTS ASSISTANCE FROM BUSH: “Mr. President, we need your help. We need everything you’ve got.” [Newsweek]

LATE PM – BUSH GOES TO BED WITHOUT ACTING ON BLANCO’S REQUESTS [Newsweek]
    I now ask what is he going to do to show he takes responsibility, words are empty without actions. Remember to not pay too much attention to what he says here, but to what he says here on out. We shall see, but I don't trust him for one minute!

Over all: More Damage Control.
    Last edited by NRG; 09/13/2005 at 03:09 PM.
    Ohhhh, evil haliburton. ohhhhh evil Rooovvvveee. ohhhhhh evil **** Cheney!

lol, you libbies are such pusies. Why do you try to make them seem like they are more evil than Satan?
    I agree!!! Bush is evil and racist and drinks the blood of iraqi babies as well as the blood of black people. He hates black people with an unrivaled passion. I happen to know for a fact that when touring the aftermath of the hurricaine, he had to take periodic breaks so that he could crack black jokes with other members of his EVIL Republican party.

Also, I would like to say that the local government was absolutely correct in doing nothing to get the poor people out of New Orleans. I heard on Bill M. that Bush personally told the mayor of N.O. that he would kill and eat her family if she didn't sit back in a cushy hotel room and let the people of her city die. What was she supposed to do.......the MAN had her in a horrible position. Typical white man holding the black woman down.

All Republicans are Evil all the time and Democrats are never wrong and can never be questioned especially if they are black. Umm......thats all i wanted to say.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23
    I agree!!! Bush is evil and racist and drinks the blood of iraqi babies as well as the blood of black people. He hates black people with an unrivaled passion. I happen to know for a fact that when touring the aftermath of the hurricaine, he had to take periodic breaks so that he could crack black jokes with other members of his EVIL Republican party.

Also, I would like to say that the local government was absolutely correct in doing nothing to get the poor people out of New Orleans. I heard on Bill M. that Bush personally told the mayor of N.O. that he would kill and eat her family if she didn't sit back in a cushy hotel room and let the people of her city die. What was she supposed to do.......the MAN had her in a horrible position. Typical white man holding the black woman down.

All Republicans are Evil all the time and Democrats are never wrong and can never be questioned especially if they are black. Umm......thats all i wanted to say.
    Umm. He said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I know that we did the whole global warming thing in another thread, but based on information from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, "Global mean temperatures have risen over the past 100 years by about 0.6°C (slightly more than 1°F) Despite its name, permafrost is characterized by its instability. It is often covered by an active layer that regularly melts. Although permafrost can be thousands of years old, it is sometimes newly formed or about to melt, and it often exists close to its melting point " Blaming the thaw of alpine soils on "global warming" is a stretch.
    Funny how you almost never quote your sources. The reason though is clear: it would be too revealing, as we will see below.

The part you quoted above is from here (third last paragraph, takes three seconds of googling to find it). You did not quote the source because the text goes on "As permafrost thaws, it jeopardizes both man-made structures and natural features. Thawing permafrost on mountain slopes can lead to landslides (Nelson et al. 2001)"

The article from Nelson et al. is from a Nature paper, Nelson et al. are from the University of Delaware. The summary of their article is here:
    "The thawing and disappearance of permafrost has accelerated in recent decades1, damaging buildings and infrastructure and causing public concern2. Here we offer a geographic overview of the hazard potential associated with thawing permafrost in the Northern Hemisphere which indicates that vulnerability to subsidence is widespread. Much of the existing infrastructure erected in northern regions is located in areas of high hazard potential and could be affected by thaw subsidence under conditions of global warming."
    I don't think you are doing yourself or anybody else a favour by such inane, twisted quotes as the one in your post above. It just shows that your primary goal is spin and misinformation.
    Last edited by clulup; 09/13/2005 at 05:03 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)

lol, you libbies are such pusies. Why do you try to make them seem like they are more evil than Satan?

thats unfair.

When have I attacked Satan !!

lol evil libbies!

junior will use this awful tragedy to award billions more to his cronies like Halliburton -- using it as an pretext to suspend the law (dating from the depression) that requires federal contractors to pay the region's prevailing wages.

As happened in Iraq, they are importing contractors and workers to rebuild New Orleans (from Alabama for example) -- rather than employing the thousands of displaced and now homeless New Orleanians.

Wages throughout the south are already less than the national norm. By gutting the Davis Bacon Act which requires that federal contractors pay fair wages, junior is using the pretext of the hurricane to do something that republicans have long wanted to.
    The selective indignation of the left is transparent and is one of the many reasons why they no longer hold power in the, er, well... any branch of government. They squeal about Haliburton and Joe Allbaugh but say nothing about the saintly James Lee Witt "cashing in". Is the reconstruction effort ripe for abuse and fraud? Absolutely! That's why my congressman (Sensenbrenner) was one of only 11 to vote against just simply handing out a giant pile of cash - and he was reamed by the left for doing so.

Perhaps workers are being brought in because the displaced people are friggin displaced?

The Washington Post article you referenced is a terribly biased "news" article - no quotes from anyone other than the union boss Sweeney and some hip-pocket Dem congressman - what a joke! I'd like to learn more about the rationale for suspending Davis Bacon Act - unfortunately the Post didn't even bother asking anyone who didn't have an axe to grind.
    My guess would be he is going to try and privatize FEMA's (diaster relief) responsibility.
    What a good idea! Let's see... Red Cross (private)... FEMA (government)... hmmm. Who do you trust more? Privatizing isn't automatically bad, neither is government, but at least with a private entity you can have some accountability.
    His words are rather hollow if you take them in context. He probably still feels the Fed. did "a heck of a job". This "I take responsibility" claptrap is empty.
    Maybe it is claptrap - maybe not, but for you to assume so while also assuming that the "heck of a job" comment was not just a platitude is disingenuous. This is another example of how Bush will be attacked no matter what he does. People see through this and it's yet another reason the current leadership of the left can't seem to hold any sort of elective majority.

I'd have more, but I missed Rush today.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I don't think you are doing yourself or anybody else a favour by such inane, twisted quotes as the one in your post above. It just shows that your primary goal is spin and misinformation.
    I just find it interesting that you are so obsessed with all things American. Nothing from this Country appears to be satisfactory to you while your own government and many of your business leaders dabble in corruption and censorship.

The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who watch and do nothing - Albert Einstein
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    What a good idea! Let's see... Red Cross (private)... FEMA (government)... hmmm. Who do you trust more? Privatizing isn't automatically bad, neither is government, but at least with a private entity you can have some accountability.
    I would think there is less accountability within' a private company(i.e. Halliburton's overcharge of the U.S. government). I would also say you can get services cheaper via direct government service. The government is going to have pay for it one way or another, w/ a profit going to a company, or wo/ a profit via government workers. I still think FEMA could do a good job if it's pros weren't pushed out by pol hacks. So yes I would see making FEMA private as a horrible idea and a waste of tax payers money.

Maybe it is claptrap - maybe not, but for you to assume so while also assuming that the "heck of a job" comment was not just a platitude is disingenuous. This is another example of how Bush will be attacked no matter what he does. People see through this and it's yet another reason the current leadership of the left can't seem to hold any sort of elective majority.

I'd have more, but I missed Rush today.
    Look, I giving the guy the benefit of the doubt at this point. But from everything I know of this guy I DO NOT trust him. I will see if his words have any merit or not. As I said at the end of my post.

Do not pay attention to what he says here, pay attention to what he does from here on out.
    If he is to make good on his word there will be a TRUE bi-partisan investigation. Not the Fox checking on the hen house investagation Mr. Bush has proposed recently.
    You didn't just compare Haliburton to the Red Cross did you ?

At least you know where Satan stands and what his agenda is.