Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11515657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1405
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Wow, I wonder what would happen if the governor of NO was a religious right winger? Who would we blame? The democrat mayor? Michael Moore? lol
    so you think the democratic mayors and governors of both states handled the situation flawlessly, right? and so they should be given no share of the blame here since they carried out all that was humanly possible and within their power in order to prepare their citizens for this storm, correct?
    is that what youre saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think he mentioned on meet the press that they did not have enough drivers, the drivers left with their families. End of bus story.
    No it's not. A pre-conceived plan by the City of New Orleans and the State of LA would take care of that wouldn't it?
    Wow, I wonder what would happen if the governor of NO was a religious right winger? Who would we blame? The democrat mayor? Michael Moore? lol
    It wouldn't matter to me. In fact the mayor was a Republican until he realized he didn't have a prayer of being elected to anything in N.O. unless he switched to the Dems. In the last presidential election, the only candidate he donated to was Bush.

I'm cool with blaming Michael Moore for pretty much anything, though.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Originally Posted by NRG
    I think he mentioned on meet the press that they did not have enough drivers, the drivers left with their families. End of bus story."

oh so you think it was satisfactory then to give up on that scenario lickity-split and not arrange for another method of bringing in reinforcements to handle the lack of manpower there? in the face of a category 5 storm, should an elected official simply give up that easily? or should he actually be expected to be resourceful enough - heaven forbid - and meet the challenge in order to save those he presides over?

end of bus story, huh? wow. now THAT is weak.
    Someone would make something up. Just like Michael Moore would make something up if a Democrat were in presidential office. Of course no one outside Sundance and Cannes would have ever heard of MM...
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    No it's not. A pre-conceived plan by the City of New Orleans and the State of LA would take care of that wouldn't it?
    Tell me where do you get the drivers from if they left the city on Mandatory Evac, deserters if you like.
    Tell me where do you get the drivers from if they left the city on Mandatory Evac, deserters if you like.
    First off, if someone had a pre-arranged responsibility to drive one of those buses and left, yeah, they would be a deserter. How about National Guardsmen? Able citizens? Did they even try? Judging by the rows and rows of waterlogged buses, I'm guessing no.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    First off, if someone had a pre-arranged responsibility to drive one of those buses and left, yeah, they would be a deserter. How about National Guardsmen? Able citizens? Did they even try? Judging by the rows and rows of waterlogged buses, I'm guessing no.
    Alright now we have a somewhat answer. So let's round these citizens up and get them to drive buses. How long do you figure it would take to round up sub-drivers? Also by the way, they did use some buses to get some of the folks to the designated shelter spots. So even if we get the drivers and get the people on the buses, then what? Where do you take them? How long is it going to take to get those people to god knows where? Logistically it is a nightmare to take 50,000 - 100,000 to different sections of the state in the alloted time frame. But then again, you may move people right into the path of the storm. Then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Someone would make something up. Just like Michael Moore would make something up if a Democrat were in presidential office. Of course no one outside Sundance and Cannes would have ever heard of MM...
    Sundance is NOT dog friendly. Dont go there
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Alright now we have a somewhat answer. So let's round these citizens up and get them to drive buses. How long do you figure it would take to round up sub-drivers? Also by the way, they did use some buses to get some of the folks to the designated shelter spots. So even if we get the drivers and get the people on the buses, then what? Where do you take them? How long is it going to take to get those people to god knows where? Logistically it is a nightmare to take 50,000 - 100,000 to different sections of the state in the alloted time frame. But then again, you may move people right into the path of the storm. Then what?
    If all of those things "might" happen, why is it not a nightmare to expect thousands of rescuers to be there before the rain even stops??
    Alright. Fine. So you ignore your disaster planning and decide to make sh*t up as you go. Maybe if you're going to do that, it would behoove you to make sure that there are enough provisions and appropriate sanitary conditions to get everyone through until help is anticipated. That's 3-5 days.
    What was the name of the guy that commandeered a school bus and drove people to Houston?
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If all of those things "might" happen, why is it not a nightmare to expect thousands of rescuers to be there before the rain even stops??
    I really don't think I have been on the chant that thousands did not show up. I think my main beef is, the heli being diverted, the lack of supplies to the victims at the superdome, and the lack of federal funding to the levee projects.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    What was the name of the guy that commandeered a school bus and drove people to Houston?
    I don't know but he was only like 18 or something. Mad respect to that guy.
    I don't know but he was only like 18 or something. Mad respect to that guy.
    Yeah, he's the only person I've read about who did something creative to help people.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Maybe if you're going to do that, it would behoove you to make sure that there are enough provisions and appropriate sanitary conditions to get everyone through until help is anticipated. That's 3-5 days.
    I think the mayor told them to bring enough with them for 72 hours. We can go on for days.........opps we already have, with what went wrong. I feel there is blame all around.
    Does anyone know if Celine Dion, Sean Penn or Michael Moore are putting any evacuees up in their homes, or is it only the religious wackjobs that are bringing strangers into their homes?
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yeah, he's the only person I've read about who did something creative to help people.
    I would doubt that. I am sure there are more people out there with creative ideas for helping people. Al Gore is one of them.

edit: Whoops, post should not convey I doubt that is all you read, but there is other stories out there.
    I think the mayor told them to bring enough with them for 72 hours. We can go on for days.........opps we already have, with what went wrong. I feel there is blame all around.
    I've thought about that instruction to bring food and water with you for 3-5 days (or whatever it was).

How many of us here have carried that much food and water with them on their backs hiking? That stuff is heavy! I'm sure that few if any had the resources, strength, or presence of mind to bring that much.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    It was 3-5 days. I've posted the source previously. AlaskanDad has a good point about how much stuff that is... all the more reason to condemn the actions of the local govt. Folks in wheelchairs and women with small kids were supposed to carry 3-5 days worth of food & water? Riiiiiight.... Certainly there's blame enough to go around, though.

On the 18 year old bus driver: I meant he's the only creative-thinker during the heat of the immediate crisis that I've read about. Sorry for not being clear.