3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    I've seen him!!!
    Silver right?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Yes, it means exactly that. The risk of failure, which WILL happen, is too great.
    OK, so why build the levees in the first place?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    yeah... I took a double take when I saw his plate.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    yeah... I took a double take when I saw his plate.
    LOL. Another reason I asked is because he is a techno freak like most of us here. And I would not put it past him to buy a Treo. Hell, I ran across him over at www.avsforum.com in the HTPC section.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    could the levees been saved ??

that is not political question

they failed 12 hours AFTER the storm
    When I was a boy in the 1947 hurricane, the second worst of the century, the water rose to my front steps. My house was on the top of the Metarie Ridge about 200 yds from the 17th Street Canal. At that time there were few levees on the lakefront; they began to be built in the 1930's about the time that I was born. There were hardly any levees on the canals. Since Betsy, the levees have been improved dramatically. The city was/is dramatically safer today than decades ago. Keep in mind that improving the levees in one place and not in another is not a solution to anything.

If you are asking if the failure could have been prevented over the last 20 years, the answer is yes at some cost. If you are asking about the 12 hours between the onset of the storm and the failure, the answer is not likely. When you are up to your neck in alligators, it is hard to focus on draining the swamp.

It would be wonderful to find someone to shoulder all or most of the blame but, as usual, we all carry our share.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My question is after this whole thing is over and the city is "restored", how many people will actually return.

I ask this because if a storm were to hit where I live, I would lose everything. I am lucky enough to be insured by a company who still writes policies in Florida (at least for this year, not having to rely on the crappy homeowners insurance offered by the state of Florida) and I would be able to rebuild. But what about the people who literally LOST EVERYTHING?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    LOL. Another reason I asked is because he is a techno freak like most of us here. And I would not put it past him to buy a Treo. Hell, I ran across him over at www.avsforum.com in the HTPC section.
    Well, I'm a "she-geek" so who knows...
    Well, I'm a "she-geek" so who knows...
    Thought so
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    My question is after this whole thing is over and the city is "restored", how many people will actually return.

I ask this because if a storm were to hit where I live, I would lose everything. I am lucky enough to be insured by a company who still writes policies in Florida (at least for this year, not having to rely on the crappy homeowners insurance offered by the state of Florida) and I would be able to rebuild. But what about the people who literally LOST EVERYTHING?
    What insurance? I need one.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Thought so
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    What insurance? I need one.
    I got mine thru Travelers... premiums doubled from last year but at least I was renewed after last year... I've been cancelled 3 times in the past 6 years.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thought so
    problem???... women can be "geeks" too!
    Deductive reasoning. I assume blueyz to mean Blue Eyes. Unless this was the departed Frank Sinatra, most guys don't refer to themselves as such. Add the cute poochie picture....seemed obvious. To me at least.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Not saying that, just figured you were female for the reasons I listed.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Deductive reasoning. I assume blueyz to mean Blue Eyes. Unless this was the departed Frank Sinatra, most guys don't refer to themselves as such. Add the cute poochie picture....seemed obvious. To me at least.
    good deduction... blue eyed blonde (or brunette or red depending on the mood)!
    Haha, to say the least.

I'm more of a geek than my husband and he's senior level in computers at his company!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Haha, to say the least.

I'm more of a geek than my husband and he's senior level in computers at his company!
    I put my fiance to shame!
    I was in Los Angeles for the Northridge earthquake. Five elevated roadways collapsed. The local press was furious. On the other hand, there are hundreds of miles of elevated roadways in Los Angeles County and only a handful broke. Making those five stronger would not have cost much. However, raising the standard across all of the hundreds of miles so that they could all survive what the five failed to survive would have cost hundreds of billiions.

To ensure that the levees never fail has infinite cost. We will always stop before that.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    AhHa
    Exactly.

They failed 12 hours after the storm passed because of the huge amounts of water that were flowing into the lake from tributaries, etc. No amount of heroic sandbag crews, etc. would have stopped that from happening. This event was destined to happen, and will happen again if they rebuild NO in the same spot.

IF they do rebuild, they need to think about comparmentalizing the city, sort of like a ship, with internal dikes and levees to contain damage if the main gives way.